Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anybody read this?

I've been absolutely glued to it for the past couple of days and finished it last night. I loved the way it kept you guessing all the way through, loved Welsh's writing style, loved his character development, lovedloved loved the ending.

I actually felt a bit sad and gutted at the end and couldn't sleep for a while thinking about it, haha.

I've read some other Irvine Welsh books but this is probably my favourite so far, probably because I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen and it kept me guessing all the way through, and any ideas I did have were quite shallow in comparison to what Welsh had written.

anyway, yeh: general Irvine Welsh appreciation welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Is he the guy who wrote 'Trainspotting'?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, Trainspotting was his first novel.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Filth was pretty good, the tapeworm interludes were genius!!!

But I'm never going to trust another policeman ever again though...

ReputationRep:
    haha I know what you mean, it's made me wonder about the police a lot. I loved the tapeworm interludes as well, especially towards the end, but the story about Rhona made me so sad

ReputationRep:
    I've only read trainspotting, which I gave up on half way through because I couldn't get used to the scottish dialect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    the tapeworm interludes
    Eww......... :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in love with everything scottish -- the kilts, the men, the accents.....so i didn't find it a problem at all. I think it makes the novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike)
    I've only read trainspotting, which I gave up on half way through because I couldn't get used to the scottish dialect!
    I liked the film but I've not attempted the book yet - I might give it a try though!

ReputationRep:
    I read filth a while ago, and I absolutely loved it I normally find it quite hard to get into books, but I couldn't put this one down...loved it!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catty)
    I'm in love with everything scottish -- the kilts, the men, the accents.....so i didn't find it a problem at all. I think it makes the novel.
    yeah I absolutely love scotland, scottish culture, et cetera. I love the crudity of Welsh's writing, and it never seems odd within the context he presents it; the characters and settings are always believable, brilliantly developed and amazingly detailed.

for whoever mentioned it.. the scottish dialect becomes easier to understand as you read more of the novel. when I first read trainspotting, I found it difficult to work out a lot of the meanings of scottish slang and often had to read words aloud to figure out what they were supposed to be, but I've read a few more of Irvine Welsh's books since and I can generally read them as quickly as I can read any other book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
    I liked the film but I've not attempted the book yet - I might give it a try though!
    you definitely should; the book is far superior to the film (though, admittedly, it was seeing the film that encouraged me to locate a copy of the book in the first place.)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.