Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    What I am worried about though, is that AQA rarely bother to change the boundaries. I have read quite a few of their "examiners reports" and most say "blah blah blah AQA do not feel the need to change the grade boundaries which were set for the previous year"

Apparently they have stuck the same in Chemistry for 4 years in a row, so I doubt they will change them this year There's probably too much paperwork involved in changing them!
    Stupid AQA! :rolleyes: Yeah, good luck with whatever is left!

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone get for the octance and the picture of a car question like the mass produced i got like 324g but i think thts wrong, wot did u guys get?

another one bites the dust- bring it on physics

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was 3-hundred-and-something grams...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    What I am worried about though, is that AQA rarely bother to change the boundaries. I have read quite a few of their "examiners reports" and most say "blah blah blah AQA do not feel the need to change the grade boundaries which were set for the previous year"

Apparently they have stuck the same in Chemistry for 4 years in a row, so I doubt they will change them this year There's probably too much paperwork involved in changing them!
    The quote you mention is only for coursework. i.e. They never change coursework boundaries (always 27/30 for A*....always 24/30 for A). BUT, the exam boundaries DO change - 2003 was around 76% for A* and 2004 was about 81.5%.

ReputationRep:
    cn't rremember a q. on octane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebadboy2k1)
    cn't rremember a q. on octane
    How much CO2 is produced from 114g of fuel burnt? (assume fuel is octane c8h18 etc etc)...ring any bells?

ReputationRep:
    Is some of this triple award??? Cause either that or I missed a lot of questions about. My last question was about Silver and Sulphur you had to get the imperical formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button16)
    Is some of this triple award??? Cause either that or I missed a lot of questions about. My last question was about Silver and Sulphur you had to get the imperical formula
    I don't think it is some of trip award. It is a free-standing GCSE.

And that is one hell of an easy last question. Why oh why does my school make me do standalone sciences?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lol I only do double award though. Learnt how to do imperical formula 10 minutes before the exam lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Why did you do dual award for the mocks, if you take Triple Science?! That seems like a silly thing for you/your school to do! They're different syllabus' aren't they? And 45 minutes, bloody hell? I finished about 15 minutes towards the end, and still didn't have time to check it all! But yeah, 98% - well done.
    I ifnished so early the inviliator jus let me walk out i finished all the questions and everything though...I know its ridiculas did duel award in mock then bearly any experience with seperate scicnce both on AQA though, i got 0.3 moles for something then like 0.15 for the oxygen of somthing i dunno, drew the graph steeper than the pre-drawn line but leveling off early (if that makes sence) i got some stupidly high result for one quesiotn (3000+g's or somthing) and for the fructose one i put.....it contain less excess energy unlike glucose where this excess energy gets converted into fat, for the nitrate one i jus put because people drink it, i didnt see how eutrophication could work as it was underground and hidden from the sun anyway but.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *nuj*)
    for the nitrate one i jus put because people drink it, i didnt see how eutrophication could work as it was underground and hidden from the sun anyway but.......
    Yeah nor me--well thank good for blue baby syndrome-and anyway whats the death of fish gonna do to coffee crops?!
    Don't think eutrophication was a wise answer

ReputationRep:
    well i spose rotting fish corpse's might (jus might mind you) contaminate 1/4 of the countries drinking water naa it was only like a 2 mark question, wish i had thought of Blue Baby Syndrome but i only learnt about 1/2 the extra seperate syllabus so...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nor me--well thank good for blue baby syndrome-and anyway whats the death of fish gonna do to coffee crops?!
    Don't think eutrophication was a wise answer
    Well seen as I put the same thing as you.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I mentioned Eutrophication, but I also mentioned Blue Baby Syndrome, and anyway nitrates in the water doesn't result in BBS as such, it is just a possibility, so it could hardly be the exact answer. It said the "effects" though, or something, and it is true that plants etc grow quicker, oxygen capacity reduced in water, although I see *nuj*'s point about underground...

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm probably gonna annoy people here but I thought that was really really easy. The identification bits I memorised so I'm really glad that came up and the question on Glucose Isomerase and immobilising was a repeat off the 2004 question... that very last question, although I hadn't learned it was pretty much common sense I mean as it said - all you need to answer question B is in the article, I just looked at the fact that substance B had an O-H bond and its transmittance was very low in A meaning it must be the alcohol. Also I didn't learn the thermosetting plastics stuff, but I just guessed it and turns out I got that right so yeah I think I did really well - and yeah I mentioned eutrophication too and the water was important because it was the supply... and that bit about blue crystals with solubility decreasing when it cools down etc. Madness.

ReputationRep:
    and that mole answer... 31250 or something ridiculous like that, wasnt sure about that

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got that. And I've just realised that for the Oxygen mole one, after the 0.3 mole one, I put 0.15 (which was correct), and then for some reason scribbled it out and put 1.2!! (Which is wrong!! Gr), which also means I've got the next one wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got that. And I've just realised that for the Oxygen mole one, after the 0.3 mole one, I put 0.15 (which was correct), and then for some reason scribbled it out and put 1.2!! (Which is wrong!! Gr), which also means I've got the next one wrong!
    no its alright if you look at the mark scheme they say like:

their answer for a * whatever = 1 mark

so you'll still get some marks

i quite honestly can't remember any of my moles answers, they're probably all wrong though :s:

ReputationRep:
    A very nice paper overall. Forgot to revise thermosetting plastics but I still remembered it

What did people think of it? Those 2 and a quarter hours went so quickly! It was over before you knew it! A good paper ruined by thermosetting plastics but made up for it by the easy moles questions!
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (sorry for double post)

Error carried forward marks.

ReputationRep:
    hey is thermostetting plastics that dont melt and is thermosoftening ones that do melt cus id didnt know wot it was and i jus guessed that and sed that thermosetting have strong intermolecular bonds???

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.