Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhineyjain)
    The quote you mention is only for coursework. i.e. They never change coursework boundaries (always 27/30 for A*....always 24/30 for A). BUT, the exam boundaries DO change - 2003 was around 76% for A* and 2004 was about 81.5%.

Any money this year it will be 80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravstar)
    hey is thermostetting plastics that dont melt and is thermosoftening ones that do melt cus id didnt know wot it was and i jus guessed that and sed that thermosetting have strong intermolecular bonds???
    Yer. that's pretty much it, although in thermosetting plastics you actually get covalent bonds between the molecules, (cross-linked chains) and in thermosoftening teh chains are held together by weak forces of attraction (IMFs)

ReputationRep:
    yeah ok man im dreadin physics better go revise lol

ReputationRep:
    Yer, I really should be revising for physics!

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong, but I am sure eutrohpication cannot happen underground where there is no light for plants to grow??? Blue Baby Syndrome must be the answer to the nitrates question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abhineyjain)
    The quote you mention is only for coursework. i.e. They never change coursework boundaries (always 27/30 for A*....always 24/30 for A). BUT, the exam boundaries DO change - 2003 was around 76% for A* and 2004 was about 81.5%.
    Yay! Thanks for that! You are right, the extract I read was for coursework (I didn't realise! :rolleyes: ). I'm hoping this year the boundaries will be pretty low. Sorry if I worried anyone

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    I put both of them so it doesn't matter!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I put both of them so it doesn't matter!!
    No it does if it was worth one mark then youll immediatley lose it if your put both--if it was worth two marks you would need the 'problem-blue baby syndrome-and an expansion of how that is worrying the scientists.
    If you put both--youll lose all marks-as examiners say-SIF-Shot In foot.

ReputationRep:
    No it does if it was worth one mark then youll immediatley lose it if your put both--if it was worth two marks you would need the 'problem-blue baby syndrome-and an expansion of how that is worrying the scientists.
    I know how to answer an exam question thankyou very much. It was worth 2 marks, and I also know how to elaborate on my answers. Don't assume that you know everything, because although clearly that is the case, you actually don't.

ReputationRep:
    LOL just by putting 'young children can get leukaemia you get 2 marks you dont need to put a paragraph but oh well...

and do most people here have physics left if so why are you studying like if its tomorrow the exam please you have 6 days....

From John Wood

ReputationRep:
    I know how to answer an exam question thankyou very much. It was worth 2 marks, and I also know how to elaborate on my answers. Don't assume that you know everything, because although clearly that is the case, you actually don't.
    Woah! Calm it down--it seems that you've made the assumptions-My chem teacher is an examiner and all i did was put his words into context, thank you very much. Yes you may know how to answer questions and elaborate but that doesn't mean that you can blatently mention a point and expect it not to be questioned or challenged. I think a bit of maturity is in order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    I was told that if you put two points for a 1-mark answer, but one point was wrong, you would still get the 1 mark (as long as the second point did not contradict the first). That's how the no-negative marking system works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    I was told that if you put two points for a 1-mark answer, but one point was wrong, you would still get the 1 mark (as long as the second point did not contradict the first). That's how the no-negative marking system works.
    Hmm i'm not sure-coz i mean for example which answer would the examiner mark? Coz it makes things kinda easier if its more of a pot-luck for 1 mark q's.

I can see your point about contradiction,i'm not sure if SIF could apply, seeing as its only 1 mark.
    However for example if we were to say that the correct answer was bb syndrome and that it can't be eutrophication due to lack of light and you put both-then which one is the examiner gonna consider? coz if eutrophication is wrong it means that the q is looking for bb syndrome and ellaboration.

Chem teach showed tht for example on a 4 mark q if you put 2 correct statements but three wrong statements its SIF

Nonethless this was a 2 mark q so the mark for bb syndrome will probs be given.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think coursework does actually account for much. In fact I HATE coursework. Like, getting full marks in coursework doesn't help you move up grade boundaries, it just makes sure your grade boundaries DON'T GO DOWN. And cousework boundaries are so goddamn high and our school didn't let us redo our coursework after its been marked unlike most schools who let them cheat and say to pupils exactly what you have to sya to get the grads. argh.

Can anyone remember what they put for the moles of oxygen towards the end? Also, what did people put for the first page? The reading, and then the line? Just because people seem to have a split decision in my camp...

Generally though, I think it was ok. I got an A in the mocks with hardly any revision! So hopefully...the full 20% for the coursework as well! However, I'm getting rather depressed about these exams now! There are a majority of subjects I really wanted an A* in, and was predicted for, now I know I've underachieved....
    it said in the question that all gases have 24dm^3 in one mole, yeah? so because I thought O2 was a diatomic molecule, I put 24*2 = 48dm^3. I FUBAR'd all of the rest of the maths stuff though. Really bad. Is that right? For first page i put my line over the one given, same kind of shape but my line leveled out sooner.

got 0.05 for somethign and 128 for something else. Ring any bells for anyone???

I got an A* in my mock, my teacher predicted me a B, so i REALLY want to get this just to spite her :P but i dont think i will.

I wish I'd gone through the 2004 paper because there was a question on immobilisation on that one, and if I'd seen it, I'd have bothered to check what it was. I was annoyed that this paper was nothing like our mock, because for the mock I could do the maths questions that nobody else could do :-P For the read paper, I sucked.

A half-decent Chemistry paper RUINED by structures of plastics and identifying what plastic is what. Mrs Carney hasn't ever been through this with us! Noooooooooooooooo.. when we got to that I had to close my eyes and try to visualise the endless list of slideshows that Mr Price showed us in Graphics. Except I still got that whole page on plastics and enzymes wrong... 11 marks down the drain.

I agree that as with Biology that it stuck very strictly to only specific parts of the syllabus. It really frigs me off when they do that too becuase it tends to be all my weakest areas also that they focus in-depth on!

This is my first post. Do you think it is pretty? I'm Sona, 16 and female and Asian and generally quite nice Hi!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)

I agree that as with Biology that it stuck very strictly to only specific parts of the syllabus. It really frigs me off when they do that too becuase it tends to be all my weakest areas also that they focus in-depth on!

This is my first post. Do you think it is pretty? I'm Sona, 16 and female and Asian and generally quite nice Hi!!

Yeah that annoyed me and i fear that its gonna be the same with physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sona)
    I agree that as with Biology that it stuck very strictly to only specific parts of the syllabus. It really frigs me off when they do that too becuase it tends to be all my weakest areas also that they focus in-depth on!!
    Ditto! I am so angry with AQA because this year both Chemistry and Biology focused on only a tiny section of the syllabus, and like for you, it was the worst bits for me too! I'm glad I am doing OCR for Physics. They actually test you on the whole sylabus and we have two papers, so it spreads it out a bit more (the second paper is like 5 days after my second-to-last-exam, so I will have 5 days of revision for it!). Oh, and by the way, welcome!

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing Aqa physics unfort, so i'm now wondering what part of the syllabus their gonna focus one, probably something obsolete like the electromagnetic spectrum, nooo it'll be t refraction of light! lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm not especially worried about Physics because it's not 'til Tuesday morning and it's Friday now but I haven't any exams until it so have time to revise.

But won't until Monday evening.

Does anyone have any tips for Physics revision? I mean, I've got past papers and things. Does anyone know what's likely and what's not likely to come up because of what's been up recently? Are there any weirdo questions and little niggly things that people usually get wrong and I need to be aware of and learn? Thanks if anyone has any clue. MUST get radioactivity and electromagnetism and everything on Waves learnt.

ReputationRep:
    lol their obvious physics stuff, so they probably wont come up at all, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    i'm doing Aqa physics unfort, so i'm now wondering what part of the syllabus their gonna focus one, probably something obsolete like the electromagnetic spectrum, nooo it'll be t refraction of light! lol
    thank god, I can't do electric circuits or magnets or all that, I'm much better at planets lights and diffraction and all that

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.