The Student Room Group

Racism in the UK

I'm Chinese. I'm originally from Canada where it's very multicultural, especially in the city I'm from. Everywhere you look you see faces from diverse backgrounds, and everyone is a lot more open, friendly, and accepting over there. English people seem nice enough on the surface, but I can't tell if it's sincere or not.

Having been here for 4 months, I constantly feel like I have to be on guard for racism--the non-blatant, passive aggressive kind. I feel like a lot of Britons are closeted racists. Thankfully for me I speak English as well as any other Canadian English native speaker so I feel like at least I have a way of standing up for myself, of preserving my dignity. I get the sense that Chinese people are not as much part of the fabric of British society the way it is in Canada or North America. In all my life I've only been hassled once for being Asian in Canada, and that was in elementary school when kids are dumb and cruel.

I walked down the street today and some black kids in a car shouted "Konnichiwa!!" to me as they drove by. When I walked into an optical shop asking for advice on buying glasses, the shopkeeper said "I don't know about the YEN or whatever you've got in Canada" (him thinking I was Japanese just because I look Asian) and I answered very curtly "You mean dollar?" (Who doesn't know what currency Canada uses? Surely he must know it most certainly is not YEN!) Then he said "Right, your yenny dollar." I should've shut him up with some scathing reply, but I couldn't tell if he was making some lame joke or if he was being a racist jerk! His receptionist was eyeing him funny.

I knew about how races here tended to keep to themselves before I came here, but as I've just found British people to be really closed off, I'm beginning to understand why. Right before I came to the UK I spent a few days in the US, and the difference between the UK and US, too, is huge. People were chatting me up on buses and subways, asking me where I was from, etc. There wasn't the same oppressive feeling.

I seriously feel like it's me against the world some days. It's hard enough being here on my own knowing no one in this country.

Is it just me? Am I imagining things?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which part of england are you in mate?
Reply 2
You are looking for it too much which is the same problem with a lot of 'racism' that happens.

Also I still don't understand why idiots driving past shouting hello in a foreign language is racist :confused: People shout "hola" at me and to me it is the same as someone shouting 'bus ******' ie not funny but not racist.

Edit: I was in London, Ontario over the summer and experienced racism twice for being white yet I am not idiotic enough to say that I believe all Canadians are closet raccists. If anything your statement is racist and you need to take a look at your own ignorant views.
lunchbox
I'm Chinese. I'm originally from Canada where it's very multicultural, especially in the city I'm from. Everywhere you look you see faces from diverse backgrounds, and everyone is a lot more open, friendly, and accepting over there. English people seem nice enough on the surface, but I can't tell if it's sincere or not.

Having been here for 4 months, I constantly feel like I have to be on guard for racism--the non-blatant, passive aggressive kind. I feel like a lot of Britons are closeted racists. Thankfully for me I speak English as well as any other Canadian English native speaker so I feel like at least I have a way of standing up for myself, of preserving my dignity. I get the sense that Chinese people are not as much part of the fabric of British society the way it is in Canada or North America. In all my life I've only been hassled once for being Asian in Canada, and that was in elementary school when kids are dumb and cruel.

I walked down the street today and some black kids in a car shouted "Konnichiwa!!" to me as they drove by. When I walked into an optical shop asking for advice on buying glasses, the shopkeeper said "I don't know about the YEN or whatever you've got in Canada" (him thinking I was Japanese just because I look Asian) and I answered very curtly "You mean dollar?" (Who doesn't know what currency Canada uses? Surely he must know it most certainly is not YEN!) Then he said "Right, your yenny dollar." I should've shut him up with some scathing reply, but I couldn't tell if he was making some lame joke or if he was being a racist jerk! His receptionist was eyeing him funny.

I knew about how races here tended to keep to themselves before I came here, but as I've just found British people to be really closed off, I'm beginning to understand why. Right before I came to the UK I spent a few days in the US, and the difference between the UK and US, too, is huge. People were chatting me up on buses and subways, asking me where I was from, etc. There wasn't the same oppressive feeling.

I seriously feel like it's me against the world some days. It's hard enough being here on my own knowing no one in this country.

Is it just me? Am I imagining things?

The fact of the matter is, many Britons I know do not like people from other countries coming to live in our country. It's not because they're racist, they just feel like they want to keep this country less culturally diverse.
Reply 4
lol, no one talks to strangerson trains here at all.
lunchbox

Sounds like some jerk trying to be funny.

Most people aren't like that though.
Reply 6
Of course people know what currency they use in Canada, it is a commonwealth country that has retained close ties with the UK.

I think it makes a difference where you are. As for people not talking on buses etc that's just the way people act here, in north america they can be over friendly and somewhere like London hardly anyone will say hello.

A couple of those comments sounded a little racist but I think when you look for something it is easier to spot. There have been oriental people in the UK for a long time, Chinese food is just behind curry in popularity.
Reply 7
Racism can certainly happen especially in parts of the country where it's not very diverse. I've certainly heard the 'n' word and 'wog' being shouted towards my direction since moving to where I am now, which never happened to me at all when in London and East Anglia. And like someone said a lot of people may have the whole 'damn these foreigners taking all our jobs' complex. On the other hand people just do it to impress their mates or whatever. But this crap happens in every country and in this country it's rare compared to say Spain or Italy (imo). Just have to rise above it and not let them win by letting it get to you too much :smile:.
Reply 8
Britain isn't nice. A lot of us are miserable bastards and it is the cold, over-authority and oppression we face from the government and from institutions who employ us or sell things to us. Racism is just another apparatus that is part of this vicious cycle. For the lowest in society, it's the only weapon to turn to (cough BNP cough). All very depressing really.

I want to get away somewhere else in a few years. I'll add Canada to the potential list.
Reply 9
I think there may be some jokey racism (its still bad of course) out there concerning people who are Chinese. You know the whole chicken fried lice thing. But if you are worried about violence (I know you don't say that, but if you are) then I wouldn't be because most of it is aimed towards non-Chinese asians (i.e. pakistanis and middle eastern/arabs).
Reply 10
MancBoy
which part of england are you in mate?

I'm currently living in Oxford.
To be honest a city with two large universities, you shouldn't really get much hassle. Maybe you've just been unlucky that you've been offended so many times in a short period of time.
Reply 12
I was born n bred in manchester, my parents are pakistani. in my opinion, it doesn't mater what country your in, there will always be racists ****s, however, you can't judge a whole nation of people by the actions of a few ignorant people eg I feel like a lot of Britons are closeted racists because of your experience on 2 occasions.

by the way, there is a huge difference between racism and ignorance
Reply 13
Joseph90
Britain isn't nice. A lot of us are miserable bastards and it is the cold, over-authority and oppression we face from the government and from institutions who employ us or sell things to us. Racism is just another apparatus that is part of this vicious cycle. For the lowest in society, it's the only weapon to turn to (cough BNP cough). All very depressing really.

I want to get away somewhere else in a few years. I'll add Canada to the potential list.

Yep, over in Canada I could proclaim that I am Canadian and no one would bat an eyelash. Here, you get the sense that no matter how long you've lived here, if you aren't white you can never call yourself British. This is the stuff that the BNP tries to cram down people's throats, and it's seriously quite scary. I heard them on the radio and the interviewer was talking to them like what they were saying were legitimate and had any place in serious public discourse. The fact that the media gives airtime to these people makes me wonder about the British and if they all secretly buy into what the BNP is proposing. If what they say isn't outright racism I don't know what else you can call it.
Reply 14
i proudly tell people im british

if the bnp dont like it they can **** themselves! :p:
Reply 15
Sometimes I wish I was visibly 'foreign' so I could deal with the racist ***** myself...

(Did I say that out loud?)
lunchbox
Yep, over in Canada I could proclaim that I am Canadian and no one would bat an eyelash. Here, you get the sense that no matter how long you've lived here, if you aren't white you can never call yourself British. This is the stuff that the BNP tries to cram down people's throats, and it's seriously quite scary. I heard them on the radio and the interviewer was talking to them like what they were saying were legitimate and had any place in serious public discourse. The fact that the media gives airtime to these people makes me wonder about the British and if they all secretly buy into what the BNP is proposing. If what they say isn't outright racism I don't know what else you can call it.

A), it's bat an eye*lid*
B) If by "media" you are talking about the BBC, then you hae to realise tha they are a public service broadcaster and their Royal Charter states that, in political terms, they have to be totally unbiased towards any political party (although they always have had a slight political leaning towards whichever party is in power, which is why the BBC are getting accusations of a left-wing bias at the moment).

But I can also see that the media are giving the BNP coverage not because they support them - far from it. They are giving coverage to these monsters (Nick Griffin does look like something out of Star Trek) to show to the people what these animals are like, thereby persuading the British public *not* to vote BNP at the next election.
lunchbox

That is our National party. The views we uphold are entirely our affair. Its all about the bloodline bruv. Anglo Saxon, Celtic and Norse ftw
Scottish_Klams
The fact of the matter is, many Britons I know do not like people from other countries coming to live in our country. It's not because they're racist, they just feel like they want to keep this country less culturally diverse.

a lot of people consider that racist
Alexander Tomaszewski
That is our National party. The views we uphold are entirely our affair. Its all about the bloodline bruv. Anglo Saxon, Celtic and Norse ftw

seriously? you have a polish (i presume) surname and support the BNP? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest