Turn on thread page Beta

Do you do any of these A-Levels?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, these are what im thinking of doing A-Levels in when i go to college, (seriously not all of them)...thats why can you tell me which ones you do and what you think of them? i need to lower my choices

Either :

English Lang
    German
    Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Graphics
    Law
    Politics
    Chemistry

Ok...i gotta choose outta them! argh! lol

ReputationRep:
    I did English Language AS and it was okay, but then I started the A2 course and it was so boring!

ReputationRep:
    I do German (and briefly did Eng Lang, but I dropped it because I hated it, found it incredibly dull and rather patronising), which is pretty good. Like people have been saying in the AS German thread in this forum, ther is quite a big jump from GCSE to AS, but it's perfectly do-able. The grammar's pretty tough, especially if you're not used to it, but fewer people (at least at my school) tend to take German so you have smaller classes, so you all get to know each other pretty well.
    Everyone I know doing Theatre Studies loves it, but they do find it a lot of work, with all the reading and practical stuff and essay writing. It also makes a good contrast to straight academic subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i love drama, yet i still want to do academic subjects - thats why im taking it...

What sort of topics do you cover in AS German and how do you get your grade?

ReputationRep:
    In my PERSONAL OPINION (please do not flame me anyone)
    You should only take one of these...
    Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Graphics
    Law
    Maximum, as they are sometimes not considered as kindly as the other subjects you have listed (as proved by LSE's recent list stating that they will favour applicants who have one or less of...*list of subjects including the four above*.

ReputationRep:
    I did chemistry and I found it to be easiest of my A levels but they are people in my group who strugle so it depends realy. I find quite interesting and easy to grasp (the organic bits only interesting). The practical work is also fun.

AS German I am finding most difficult and I am taking it in year 13 so I had a bit of advantage. It requires more work then other subjects (for bio and chemistry I read chapter once get the principles and revision is finished for german I was strugling to get all the vocabulary to sink in.

ReputationRep:
    do german, law, eng lang, politics

ReputationRep:
    POLITICS!!! it rocks

ReputationRep:
    In German the topics vary slightly from year to year, but on AQA, we did all sorts of socio-cultural stuff on young people (their rights and responsibilities, school, work), crime, drugs, immigration, 'the german-speaking world' (we just looked at one state and learnt a bit about its history, the problems it faced after the Wiedervereinigung, how it's doing now), oh yes, the Wiedervereiniging (with a bit orf its history and stuff). My course didn't have any compulsory literature, but we read a few poems and I did coursework on a German (well, Swiss German) play.
    For AS we didn't do coursework, I'm not sure if you can choose to on some specifications. We did three exams - an essay-writing one, an oral, and a reading and listening paper. The marks for the first two mostly go on what they call ' Knowledge of Society' - basically, facts about Germany - with a few for putting in your opinions and using grammar correctly, while for the reading and listening it's simply putting the right answers (lots of tickboxes), with a few marks for the quality of your language (grammar and so on).
    The course can sound quite boring, but if you've got decent teachers you'll really enjoy it, even the people who dropped it last year enjoyed doing AS.

ReputationRep:
    Chems good, but be prepared to forget almost everything you learned at GCSE, overall uber intresting IMO, although quite a few fiddly bits with calculations and the like.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose 3 A-levels only. If you are going to uni, choose the A-levels that they want, while choosing the A-levels you like (at least 1 of them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I would choose 3 A-levels only. If you are going to uni, choose the A-levels that they want, while choosing the A-levels you like (at least 1 of them).
    You may aswell choose 4 (many colleges for you to anyway) as if you hate/are crap at one you can drop it and still have 3, you also get more poooooooooints if you need em.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry all the way!

ReputationRep:
    Politics! Amazingness! The debates we have in class are often heated and sometimes absolutely hilarious. There's quite a lot to learn if you take it to A2, but it's spifftastic.

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry. It's the best subject in that list IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    I do German and English Lang A2

They do work well together coz all the intricate grammar stuff and terminology comes up in both, but English is the dullest subject in the world ever!

Just have a think about what you want to do at Uni before making any definite decisions and make sure you're doing something you like too, coz othewise you won't be motivated to work for it

ReputationRep:
    Do science A levels the job oppurtunities with science A levels are best in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I do german and chem AS out of those lot. For info about german see the "what's german AS like" thread. Chem is easy once you get the hang of it, german isn't.

What do you want to do at uni? Bear in mind what A levels you do seriously restricts your choices at uni. If there's any chance of you wanting to do english at uni, then you need an A2 in it. And they prefer eng lit btw.

Taking chemistry as an only science is pretty pointless, you couldn't do any sciences at (a decent) uni with just one science A2.

Your shortlist really isn't very good (no offence). Don't do theatre or film studies, they'll get you onto no degrees (and are also a hell of a lot of work). You don't need a law A2 to do Law at uni so that's kind of pointless...

Take graphics if you want to do that at uni, it's got some coursework and from what i've heard, isn't too bad.

Ok well from your shortlist, it seems you are more of an arty than a sciency person. Therefore i suggest you take eng lang, politics, graphics, german. That will leave most doors open i think, considering that shortlist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    Taking chemistry as an only science is pretty pointless, you couldn't do any sciences at (a decent) uni with just one science A2
    Maybe not, but shows you have a more varied type of knowledge than just arts subjects all the way. Plus, sounds like the poster dusnt want to do a sci at degree, but from what i've heard uni admissions tutors in most subjects tend to like an arts/science mix of a levels.

ReputationRep:
    I took English Language AS, which I found to be a bit dull. The coursework was great fun, but I found that analysing language got a bit old after that. Having said that, it is a respected A Level, and considering that I didn't find the workload too taxing. I am, however, dropping it for A2.

I also took politics, which I absolutely love. Maybe it's just because I have an awesome teacher, but I find it really interesting, and I like the fact that everything you learn is totally relevant to what's going on around you. I love it so much that I'm doing it for my degree at university, when I initially only took it because I'd decided that I didn't want to do graphics, so I just chose a random subject. If you have an interest in politics, I'd take this.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.