Turn on thread page Beta

Do you do any of these A-Levels?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would realllyyyy recommend doing Politics.. it rocks! I will also be applying for it at uni!

ReputationRep:
    It utterly depends on your Uni aspirations and your subject strengths. Some people love Chemistry and enjoy it much more than GCSE; but it completely changes and others find it hard and lump it. Some love politics, some find it dead boring.

1) what are you doing at Uni
    2) Do you like writing essays or answering shorter questions (essay vs. science subjects differences become much more defined).

Other than that, dont do more than one vocational subject (as above poster indicated).

ReputationRep:
    I take Law!!! I would say however you have to take the good with the bad because in As i had one V.boring topic and the rest up until now have been great. It gets your mind working and its not only learing the law but it makes you question it... i think law is a good subject to have but like i say it does get boring in parts...but criminal is ace! This is deff a subject to consider!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry. Great subject, requires analytical skills and can help with getting onto 90% of uni courses (outside of the arts).

ReputationRep:
    I loved English language, but i did have two really good teachers. Some parts of the course are boring but i suppose you find that in all your subjects. The coursework is really good as you can choose to do whatever you want to do. I focused on language and gender, which involved recording conversations and analyzing them.
    I love English language that much, that i'm now going to do it at uni!

I also did chemistry and i think that was hard! I think it is a big jump from GCSE to A level...and you find your teacher telling you 'we told you this at GCSE but that was a lie'. The organic chemistry is definitely the best bit of the course. Good luck in whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nat_x)
    I would realllyyyy recommend doing Politics.. it rocks! I will also be applying for it at uni!
    I second that

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is good fun! i enjoy it but it can be a bit tough.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is great fun and interesting. The concepts are logical, and you gain great analytical skills. Only problem is difficulty , I by far did most work on my chemistry AS and get my lowest UMS score (although still an A). Good luck with your choices!

ReputationRep:
    i do/did (finished now!!) German for A - Level
    Its ok but there is a fairly large jump from GCSE to AS level but you'll get loads of support for it to help you understand all the topics and relevant grammar!!

Good Luck with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Btw if you wanted to take English at univeristy in any way, a lot of them don't accept English Lang as a main qualification, only Lit or the combined Lang+Lit a level.
    Just fyi.

If you say you want academic subjects Chemistry and German count out of that lot^

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry It's a worthwhile subject if you like it. It's not easy but not difficult either. I complain about Chem all the time but given the choice, I don't think I would've dropped it. I don't think I'd change any of my options - although one thing I *would* change - I'd keep Eng Lit on at A2 and not drop it cus I love the subject.

Goes for anything - if you enjoy it, it's a worthwhile subject. You'd have to put me at gunpoint to get me to take Maths at AS - but my friend finds it the best subject she's now off to do Maths at Cambridge. If you don't like the subject, it's a pain in the neck cus you get 5 hours of it a week.

I didn't do Eng Lang - I did Eng Lit though. Although they're really rather different.

ReputationRep:
    I do english language and ive found both years really interesting but then i had a really good teacher, so i suppose if ur teacher isnt good, then it could seem quite boring but i say do it!

ReputationRep:
    Having at one point or another studied most of the subjects on the list:
    maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    french
    history
    lit& lang
    Law

My favourite has to be law. If you have a good memeory its great coz all you need to do is learn the facts and the cases to match. Chech what course your college does at A2 though as some of them are really boring. If you do Criminal law its great!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyse180887)
    My favourite has to be law. If you have a good memeory its great coz all you need to do is learn the facts and the cases to match.
    Sorry, I don't doubt that Law is a good subject but surely the reasons you give represent the bane of all real intellectualism in the entire of the secondary school education system.

I do Theatre Studies and would definitely recommend that, although I think that, depending on what you want to study in the future, it's your combination as a whole that will determine whether you come across as mickey mouse or solid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)
    Sorry, I don't doubt that Law is a good subject but surely the reasons you give represent the bane of all real intellectualism in the entire of the secondary school education system.

I do Theatre Studies and would definitely recommend that, although I think that, depending on what you want to study in the future, it's your combination as a whole that will determine whether you come across as mickey mouse or solid.
    I would say law is very good as you get to do a lot of thinking and learning facts. I don't know why people think law is not a good subject. It's a hard and interesting subject to some people. Some people recommended other people not to take law if you are applying to do law at uni, while some people take A-level law got offers to do law in top uni's in my school like Oxford, LSE, UCL, etc....

ReputationRep:
    I do Politics, and I think its really an interesting topic which helps you understand society and politics in general more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acting_Fr3ak)
    Okay, these are what im thinking of doing A-Levels in when i go to college, (seriously not all of them)...thats why can you tell me which ones you do and what you think of them? i need to lower my choices

Either :

English Lang
    German
    Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Graphics
    Law
    Politics
    Chemistry

Ok...i gotta choose outta them! argh! lol
    okey dokey, here's the rundown. Loads of people have been posting what subject they have done, and usually saying that you should do it. Consider:

1) What do you want to do in the future? - You should never take a subject just for the sake of it helping your uni choice if you do not like it. (e.g. if someone wants to do medicine but hates maths or physics) It's not worth the stress and if you won't like a certain subject that is either essential or helpful for your future study, then that probably means you won't like a hefty part of the course! It's also quite hard for other people to advise you without bias to a subject that they have taken, if they don't know what type of course/path your leaning towards

2)What do you like to study? - I assume that you either like/love the subjects that you've listed, or you like the sound of them. If you don't quite know what you want to study in the future, then just go with what you enjoy. At the end of the day, if you study things you love and do what you want, chances are it will lead you to a career or opportuniy that you'll love too.

Naturally I can't resist contributing my allegiance to one of your listed subjects - *coughs* politics *coughs*. I know both the points i've mentioned seem quite contradictory, but with both of them in mind, however, just go with your instincts. Do what you love. Go forth and be happy in the world. And if you aren't happy with one of your subjects at the start of your AS year, you can always swap/drop the offending subject....

PM me if you want any help with anything

ReputationRep:
    i did English Language for the first year but dropped it at AS as it was so boring in my opinoin. it just wasn't what i was expecting it to be! on the other hand i did chemistry and absolutely love the subject! i wasn't going to do it at A-Level as didn't think i'd like it but am glad i did now as its my favourite subject! (sorry i'm very sad!)

ReputationRep:
    Have to throw my support behind Law . It's definitely the most interesting subject to me out of the five I'm taking; the fact that it's ever-changing encourages you to read up on the latest developments in the broadsheet law supplements and on the web . And don't regard it as a mickey-mouse subject: all five students from my college offered places at Oxbridge last year were taking it (three to study Law, one English and one History)

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry and I love it muchly. However I advise doing chemistry only if you really want to. I dont believe its something you can take half heartedly. In terms of difficulty, it depends on the board you do.

I personally HATE essay based subjects because so many marks go into one thing that you do... and if you jst cant write an essay that day, ur screwed!

Chemistry is good that way, the marks are split into bite-sized chunks so that you are always garunteed that if you dont know one thing, the MAX number of marks that you cud lose from it is about 7-10 out of 75.

this is just my experience tho xx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.