Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura2k5)
    i did English Language for the first year but dropped it at A2 as it was so boring in my opinoin.
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acting_Fr3ak)
    Okay, these are what im thinking of doing A-Levels in when i go to college, (seriously not all of them)...thats why can you tell me which ones you do and what you think of them? i need to lower my choices

Either :

English Lang
    German
    Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Graphics
    Law
    Politics
    Chemistry

Ok...i gotta choose outta them! argh! lol

I take chemistry and i would say you'd enjoy it if remembering all the fact in a 100 page book interests you, for the final exams there was much blind learning, were you either know it or you dont, ie there is no way to figure it out you have to learn it, this annoyed me as someone who does maths I like questions that can be worked out with a little brain scratching and thinking, this is the not the case in chemistry, but if you memory is good it might be good to do chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Choose Politics over Law.

Chemistry and German would prove useful later.

(Original post by Acting_Fr3ak)
    Okay, these are what im thinking of doing A-Levels in when i go to college, (seriously not all of them)...thats why can you tell me which ones you do and what you think of them? i need to lower my choices

Either :

English Lang
    German
    Theatre Studies
    Film Studies
    Graphics
    Law
    Politics
    Chemistry

Ok...i gotta choose outta them! argh! lol
    Only do law out of those, and I really like it, second fave subject after sociology!

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised so many people have found English Language boring! I'm just going onto A2 and barely anyone from the classes last year have dropped it! Last year we did coursework where we had to analyse one piece of text (our choice) and then produce two pieces of our own relating in some way to the original text. We also did Child language acquisition which i found interesting but confusing (didn't pick that option on the exam!), we also did textual analysis, gender and conversation and general conversation analysis. I found it interesting because it's not all shakespeare and stuff and i have a really good teacher. I'm really looking forward to A2 (have already started and plan to do coursework about how children's tv effects how they discover language) and am planning to do it at uni!

ReputationRep:
    I think it might have something to do with the course structure? Most people I've come across who do English Language follow the AQA (B) specification whereas yours does not sound like that as with AQA you do Language Aquisition in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry. It's pretty good, challenging at times but that's not a bad thing. Interesting course though. Just started the A2 course and so far it seems to be OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    I think it might have something to do with the course structure? Most people I've come across who do English Language follow the AQA (B) specification whereas yours does not sound like that as with AQA you do Language Aquisition in the second year.
    I had a look and i did AQA (A) specification so the same exam board is the same but different specification-It's language analysis, language and representation, child language acquisition, a coursework consisting of 4 pieces-1 analysis, 2 production pieces and 1 commentary and then gender and conversation and conversation analysis.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do anything involoving Law at uni than don't do the A Level, I'd do Theatre Studies not Film Studies as it's more achademic. Looking at the rest of your short (ha ha) list, then I'd take Chemistry because it'll contrast and is supposed to be one of the hardest A Levels and will look good on your CV. I'd avoid graphics as well... although all depends what/where you want to go post A Level anyway

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.