Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What did you think? I personally found it quite hard...

ReputationRep:
    err i thought it was easy but maybe im wrong

ReputationRep:
    I found biology a lot easier and so did most people at my school. Although I don't think it was that much harder...the questions were just different to what I expercted compared to past papers. I'm glad I got the empirical formula right though!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was easy, but there were some stupid questions that didn't test your scientific knowledge like "Why don't scientists get their work published"... The question about why the reaction got faster and faster...that threw me off coz I thought reaction rates are meant to go slower and slower?! I just babbled on about how it takes time to overcome the activation energy barrier or something. Got the isotope question - YES!

ReputationRep:
    i did separate chemistry; it was ok what kind of stuff came up in your exam?

ReputationRep:
    what isotope question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Les Mcqueen)
    what isotope question?
    The one in section on halogens...which one was irregular for boiling points. I put chlorine because it had isotopes so it had atoms with different mass numbers, therefore different physical properties i.e. boiling points which is why it was irregular.

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from that exam. I found it quite easy compared to what I thought it would be like, but there were some hard bits, like the empirical formula one which I started but then couldn't remember most of how you do it so I left it (only 3 marks though)...I put chlorine for that graph one but I thought it meant 'how do you know it doesn't fit the pattern' and so i wrote 'becuase it is not on the line of best fit' - I'm so stupid sometimes!!

That question annoyed me when it said something like 'molecules have strong forces' - 'describe the forces' and i thought...'wtf?? well...it says in the question - they're strong!!' but I guess that wasn't the answer. I couldn't think what else to write though.

Anyone know the approximate grade boundaries?

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    Last year I believe A* was 71% but i may be mistaken because I don't know how UMS etc. works. But basically you needed 257/360 ( or something along those lines), but they do change every year.

ReputationRep:
    That was such a weird paper. Me and most of the people at my school found it really hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Two Tone)
    That was such a weird paper. Me and most of the people at my school found it really hard.
    Yeh Same...thats exactly what we all thought. But other people seem to have found it easy, so grade boundaries may go up on last year. It all depends on the Physics now. At least my coursework will boost my mark I got 58/60

ReputationRep:
    I found that exam fine, a lot better than what I was expecting. But some of the questions were a little strange, especially the geologist/polymer scientist thing..I thought that was a bit unfair as we're not taught that.

But apart from that it was ok. What did everyone get for the question which asked how many tonnes of carbon dioxide would be produced? I put 3.35, but I totally guessed, so I don't know if that's right.

ReputationRep:
    I think the answer to that was 3.08 tonnes..i wrote 3 tonnes with a bit of working out so hopefully I'll get some marks at least!

ReputationRep:
    Eek..must've got that wrong then! I totally didn't understand what to do, but I wrote done the molecular mass for all of it, so hopefully I'll get atleast 1 mark.

Does anyone know any approximate grade boundaries? Or anyone care to take a guess as to what they think they will be?

ReputationRep:
    last year was 71% for A* dunno bout this year tho.

ReputationRep:
    what are u talking about, ppl?Is it OCR B staged assestment or something else?

ReputationRep:
    OCR A Linear assesment for me

ReputationRep:
    Ditto! I'm talking about OCR A too. I'm guessing your talking about modular, Izzy?

ReputationRep:
    ummmm.lol. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone else get (if anything) for the formula for that compound with Xe, Pt and F.
    I got something really stupid, no idea really like 78Xe78Pt470F

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.