The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sherunsaway
What did everyone else get (if anything) for the formula for that compound with Xe, Pt and F.
I got something really stupid, no idea really like 78Xe78Pt470F

It was XePtF6 I presume that's right becuase many of my mates got it too. :biggrin:
Reply 21
Chemistry was quite easy this year, actually. I did mess up the tonnes question put 0.3 rather than 3. (Getting the final division wrong - after working out the rest of it correctly). The annoying questions on citizenship...:frown: - wasting time....
I got 3.08 for the tonnes question too!! I thought I'd completely messed up becuase i couldn't remember how many grams were in a tonne...but I guessed and came out with 3.08 (after a lot of working out!!) - even if it's wrong, I'm just pleased other people got the same as i did so im not as mad as i thought i was (I wasn't exactly sure how to do it but used my gut feeling) :smile:

The XePtF one I couldn't remember how to do :frown: I started it though, soI might get a mark for the first bit of working...
I got F6PtXe. Don't know if that's right..
Reply 24
sherunsaway
What did everyone else get (if anything) for the formula for that compound with Xe, Pt and F.

Lol! I got XePtF6 - anyone else?
Yup, that's what I got too :smile: Except for some reason I decided to write mine alphabetically, do you think I'll still get the marks for it??
Reply 26
XePtF6, can anyone confirm if that is correct please.
Basically, I did the mass % divided by the Relative atomic mass, multiplied by 10 and divided by 2.
I'm pretty sure that's right - loads of people seem to have got the same anyway, so your in a definate majority!
Reply 28
I seem to remember it being to work out the empirical forumla, you had to multiply this by 10 and divide it by 4, not 2.
I divided it by 2 in the exam but I think I was wrong now, it doesn't matter if I am in a majority, a majorirty that got it wrong?
Huh? I'm lost! I was talking about the FPtXe question...As far as I know the answer was F6PtXe, and many other people on here also got that answer.
Reply 30
i got XePtF6 too YAY
Reply 31
YeahLouise thats exactly the question I'm talking about too
Reply 32
wat did you get for the gas given off in te last question.
it was carbon dioxide - cos it was magnesium carbonate the substance

and i am 100% sure that the previous answers questioned were PtXeF6 and 3.08 tonnes - i found that paper well easy
Reply 34
i didnt get that i put water. your answer seems rite though. apart from that i thought that it wernt too bad, some questipons threw me a bit though.
what was the difference between a polymer scientist and a geologist
Reply 35
sherunsaway

i was lost! i didn't even have space left on the page to write! i got something weired Xe13Pt22F46

I am normally pretty good at this mole stufff but this is all out teacher's fault, she said mole questions comes up on paper 2 so didn't even bother to revise mole!

easy marks gone down the drain!

charikaar
Reply 36
asadtamimi
it was carbon dioxide - cos it was magnesium carbonate the substance

and i am 100% sure that the previous answers questioned were PtXeF6 and 3.08 tonnes - i found that paper well easy

i thought the white substance was magnesium oxide as it goes white once it is burned. i also put ptxef6, but i found out tht was wrong coz F always goes in pairs so it was ptxe3f2 or sumthin. either way i didnt do too well.
Reply 37
chazzinio
i thought the white substance was magnesium oxide as it goes white once it is burned. i also put ptxef6, but i found out tht was wrong coz F always goes in pairs so it was ptxe3f2 or sumthin. either way i didnt do too well.

Neither me, i messed up the formula thing too but a lot of people put what you put so perhaps it is right after all?
are their different OCE chemistry tests or something because every sing person in my year said it was easy.

ome idiot turned up at 10 o'clock for the exam, althought it started at nine on the dot.
Reply 39
Kato_88
Neither me, i messed up the formula thing too but a lot of people put what you put so perhaps it is right after all?

i just thought it was a crap paper in general in terms of questions asked. I mean, "why don't scientists publish their ideas?"and the difference between geologist and polymer scientist?....why not ask us things that require actual chemical knowledge and that we spent ages revisin on? problem is with these sorts of questions, there can be so many right or wrong answers, and that jst made me anxious after the exam

Latest