Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali p)
    No probs! just felt like pointing it out you know
    Lol obviously! I think it's all the bloody pressure getting to me ah well. Just 5 more to go then the gay wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    I think it was neutralisation because calcium carbonate is an alkali...not too sure
    the answer was substance: magnesium oxide, gas: water vapour, reaction: neutralisation. im 99% certain unless the teachers got it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    the answer was substance: magnesium oxide, gas: water vapour, reaction: neutralisation. im 99% certain unless the teachers got it wrong.
    teachers got it wrong then

lol. The Metal Carb/Hydrocarb + Acid is the ONLY reaction in GCSE which makes the salt + water + gas. Oxides only make the water. (and water vapour isn't really what they are after, they were after a gas) This makes all three. Its c02, mangesium carbonate and neutralisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    teachers got it wrong then

lol. The Metal Carb/Hydrocarb + Acid is the ONLY reaction in GCSE which makes the salt + water + gas. Oxides only make the water. (and water vapour isn't really what they are after, they were after a gas) This makes all three. Its c02, mangesium carbonate and neutralisation.
    i spose really it could have been either because water vapour is classed as a gas, magnesium oxide is a white solid and it was a neutralisation reaction

ReputationRep:
    yea i guess so.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone guess what the approximate grade boundaries would have been for this paper? In my opinion it was harder than past papers so hopefully they will go down, but what does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    i found it a bit harder than last year and so did other people at my school...so if that's the case around the whole country then they should go down (fingers crossed)

ReputationRep:
    i found it easier then last year - but hope more people found it more difficult

ReputationRep:
    oh well at last i put neutralisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeerHS)
    i found it a bit harder than last year and so did other people at my school...so if that's the case around the whole country then they should go down (fingers crossed)
    ok, but do u think a mark of around 80% for the papers would get u an a* coz i think thts roughly the lowest mark i could have got in each paper now after lookin through the paper again and gone through it with a text book??

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't be able to tell exactly the grade boundaries...it depends on your coursework etc....according to last years boundaries, i would need 65% in each science ( i got 58/60 in my coursework )

ReputationRep:
    ok. i got somthin like 17% out of a possible 20%, so what dyou reckon?

ReputationRep:
    I think they'll be a question on plate tectonics in paper 4 as there wasn't one in paper 2

ReputationRep:
    lol in paper 4 they dont test u wot u werent tested on in paper 2 lol

its a different syllabus so u gte tested on stuff at back of text book

ReputationRep:
    I found it about average really, it was pretty much at the same difficulty level as all the past papers I had done. I just have to hope I didn't lose too many marks by missing little things!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.