Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elspungo)
    do you have to go into so much specific detail about the rythm etc. as Londonsteve has, beause frankly, I do not know it, nor have ever been taught it in as much detail as that, and now I am scared
    not really, but in some people's it is a most like in the fly- the short lines emphasise not only the movements of the fly, but also the illogical reasoning. How can you reason away you life in such shirt lines.

also in holy thursday- it is a land of poverty- this break in the rhyme helps to strenghten its already large impact on th reader.

also it depends on the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naymeee)
    does anyone know why The Garden of Love is referred to in relation to pre-destination?also anyone have any useful points about this poem?
    I'm not sure whether I'm right but I thought it was because he talks about the graves and tombs being where flowers should be which could be seen as death imposing on life and so maybe in terms of predestination i.e - life is dictated by death. That made sense in my head but I don't think I've explained it very well, sorry!
    x x

ReputationRep:
    Blake is not a dude at all - he's come from beyond the grave to deprive me of the rest of today and half of tomorrow (which could otherwise be spent chilling).

Good thread though, and some nice pointers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen_catherine)
    I'm not sure whether I'm right but I thought it was because he talks about the graves and tombs being where flowers should be which could be seen as death imposing on life and so maybe in terms of predestination i.e - life is dictated by death. That made sense in my head but I don't think I've explained it very well, sorry!
    x x
    hmm good points-thanks,it all helps!its so tempting to kick back and watch the tennis today but once tomorrows done with thats it for english for me,and if i do well it'll be so worth it.please let me do well

ReputationRep:
    hmm good points-thanks,it all helps!its so tempting to kick back and watch the tennis today but once tomorrows done with thats it for english for me,and if i do well it'll be so worth it.please let me do well
    I know - I finish english tomorrow as well, can't wait! Been doing Blake for a couple of hours now and feeling okish about it but having MAJOR panics about Merchant of Venice! :rolleyes:
    x x

ReputationRep:
    me 2!!!i hate not knowing what the Qs are gonna be-i've always been rubbish at MOV but now im worried about that AND blake!

ReputationRep:
    me 2!!!i hate not knowing what the Qs are gonna be-i've always been rubbish at MOV but now im worried about that AND blake!
    I just can't do Merchant at all - I don't know what to do now to help myself. I've spent half an hour on the phone to a friend talking about how we can't so it which wasn't very productive! I think I'm going to go and make some bubble diagrams for character and theme now to see if that helps.
    Good Luck for tomorrow!
    x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen_catherine)
    I just can't do Merchant at all - I don't know what to do now to help myself. I've spent half an hour on the phone to a friend talking about how we can't so it which wasn't very productive! I think I'm going to go and make some bubble diagrams for character and theme now to see if that helps.
    Good Luck for tomorrow!
    x x
    im sure youll be ok-i always think ill know nothing,then when it comes to it i find a way and its usually ok.good luck too!

ReputationRep:
    I have Willie Blake and Measure For Measure tomorrow.

I believe "Bricking it" is the technical term.

*vomits*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzyLizzy)
    i'm just scared full stop. I have 3 exams tommorow inluding LTA4 and i want to die.

I know what you mean! I have four exams tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    bah blake!

and why did shakespeare words things in such a way they are impossible to learn as quotes! grrr how rude of him, did he not think of us future pupils sitting his exams! hmmm!

ReputationRep:
    If you read a lot of modern lit you'll find shakespeare's language v difficult. I read a lot of Margaret Atwood then tried to learn Jayne Eyre and the prose is also very 'backward' lol. If you read the play a number of times you'll become accustomed to it and will be amazed at what you pick up by jus reading.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone sitting Blake today, I've got Othello as well and need this A.

Hoping for nice questions...

ReputationRep:
    how did you lot find the blake and merchant exam? i thought it went ok did the mercy/justice merchant question and the one about blakes religious beliefs i was glad because the question title was quite broad so you had quite a free range of poems to choose from. i chose in the blake section, "the divine image", "the garden of love" "the tiger" and "the clod and the pebble" just went on about Orc and Urizen and how he hated the institutionalised religion and its repressive moral code and how it tries to manipulate people. :-) what about others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lirael Abhorsen)
    how did you lot find the blake and merchant exam? i thought it went ok did the mercy/justice merchant question and the one about blakes religious beliefs i was glad because the question title was quite broad so you had quite a free range of poems to choose from. i chose in the blake section, "the divine image", "the garden of love" "the tiger" and "the clod and the pebble" just went on about Orc and Urizen and how he hated the institutionalised religion and its repressive moral code and how it tries to manipulate people. :-) what about others?
    I did the same questions as you. For the Blake I used both "Chimney Sweeper" poems, "The Little Vagabond", "The Garden of Love" and "A Little Boy lost". Wish I'd done the Tyger tho instead of one of the Chimney Sweeper ones because I would have had more to say but I think it was generally ok. I wrote about hating the repression and dogma and stuff too. I was quite pleased with the questions that came up. No more English exams!!!
    x x

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.