Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone doing History Appeasement OCR (Monday) watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing history of appeasement---> neville chamberlain

please let me know if you've got any useful resources xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this paper also but i have no idea how to do the source questions.

ReputationRep:
    i know what you, its the reason why i failed it first time! i didn realise there was sources on it!! ignorant or what!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about the Fulyham By Election and the Oxford Union Debate in this period of history?

I have no notes on this, anyone able to help?

Thanks AJ

ReputationRep:
    don't think you have to go in to detail about it mate. it's just an extra bit of information. basically the oxford union debate was a protest over relaxed british behaviour towards the manchurian crisis and the east fulham by-election was a protest against unpoplar domestic policies. any more detail n u wont finish ur essay lol.

ReputationRep:
    how did people find it?
    we hadn't studied Halifax much so i couldn't add any 'own knowledge'. and I didn't know much about if/how the government influenced the change of policy so the sources bit was unexpected but i think i coped!
    i did the league of nations one after that because i thought the other one was quite hard. i think that was ok but i didn't manage to work in some facts that i'd learned which was a bit annoying.
    hope the resr of you found it ok!
    jjr14

ReputationRep:
    hmm foundit not bad but not good - as i expected i was kinda at a loss as to how to answer the source questions but struggled through and managed to put in quite a bit of guilty men/revisionist in (ii). Did league question as well because structure seemed quite easy, i.e. didnt want to get involved, empire, military and economic weakness, want to keep friendly with both france and germany - not much you can get in about historical inteerpretations though... the only ones we learnt were completely 1930sw based - I just put revisionists would emphasize the miitary/economic factors to show they were developing in the 20s to make appeasement inevitable in the 30s...

anyone else?

I reckon probably a B standard overall which is wuite poor for me but I hope to do a lot better on Russian on friday!

ReputationRep:
    I know that paper was well dodgy for me. Max it was a D.

Who did question 17?

I did that but i was unsure whether to go on and talk about the 1930's as well as it asked about specifically about the 1920's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjr14)
    how did people find it?
    we hadn't studied Halifax much so i couldn't add any 'own knowledge'. and I didn't know much about if/how the government influenced the change of policy so the sources bit was unexpected but i think i coped!
    i did the league of nations one after that because i thought the other one was quite hard. i think that was ok but i didn't manage to work in some facts that i'd learned which was a bit annoying.
    hope the resr of you found it ok!
    jjr14
    Haha know what you mean I'd not done ANYTHING on Halifax! I think i just used my own knowledge to say what influence Chamberlain had or something! I did League of Nations question too - dont think that went particularly amazingly but not too bad! I'm not too worried cos I did the Russia synoptic paper in January and got an A (my best mark so far!) and I only need 2 C's for uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrgh)
    Haha know what you mean I'd not done ANYTHING on Halifax! I think i just used my own knowledge to say what influence Chamberlain had or something! I did League of Nations question too - dont think that went particularly amazingly but not too bad! I'm not too worried cos I did the Russia synoptic paper in January and got an A (my best mark so far!) and I only need 2 C's for uni!
    teaching?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely wouldnt have talked about the 1930s in question 17 at least not for longer than a few lines as the q asked specifically in the 20s the only time i mentioned the 30s was when i went on to talk about the different ways the issue might be viewed by "guilty men" theorists or revisionists... i found that question okay got to mention all the little things on me timeline like chanak crisis locarno geneva kellogbriand etc which was fun and got to basically waffle on about militray/economic weakness and try to sound clever - impossible to judge history though guess we have to wait till results day!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think anyone else on TSR did this paper except me!

How did everyone find it? I thought it was ok (the documents were much better than the ones in january) but i think i mucked it up. Everyone seemed to write about different things to me I'm gonna fail it, i just know i am!

Whats everyone doing for the module on friday? Anyway doing Tudor Foreign Policy 1485-1603?

ReputationRep:
    nope im doing russia 1855 to 1956 its gonna be fun ive basically made about 15 essay plans and am learning them fof by heart i figure i cant really go wrong as theyre bound to be a variation on the oens ive planned plus just much more comfortable with it than i was with the british... dont know why really! lets go thru questions ill put as much as i can member

16i. Source C suggests that halifax had a more significant role in fp because he actually changed it - doesnt mention other influences e.g. public or cabinet so highlights halifax's role - although based on memoirs, covers change of policy in general rather than

source d: suggests he didnt really play a big role - puts more emphasis on public and cabinet pressure being the agents for change of fp... thats pretty much all i put i hate the source questions.

ii. Kind of messed this one up:

Sources A through C are Guilty men because they suggest thast no change in policy would have occured without outside pressure form parliament cabinet or public. D is revisionist because in the introduction it said NC took initiative (does that mean it's counter-revisionist? )

Despite having different historical interpretations sources b to d all emphasize role of public opinion in changnig policy - only difference is whether opinion acted on parliament, cabinet, or NC directly.

Aource A is isolated, doesnt mention public at all and is the only one not to - focuses on halifax only - as it's isolated and based on memoirs I went with the others and said public opinion was the main reason

Then panicked and realised i hadnt included any own knowledge so put some crap at the end about public pressure at the outbreak of war...

17. Felt a bit better about this one but you can never tell

Intro: 1920s was a time of peace and amicable international relations totally unreflective of pre/proceeding decades. Like all nations, britain wanted to avoid war but actually made no commitments to prevent war in europe. Various reasons, both outcomes of the war, and newly developing (r some crap - basically waffling to give me time to think)

LoN successful in calming minor disoutes - strongly supported and beleived in - seen by many as an effective safeguard against war esp. politicians - britain fee;s able to withdraw. Ties in with overall peaceful feeling e.g. ellog briand etc.

Other factors: Britain doesnt want to because fresh memory of WW1 war bad for business dont want loss of life unpopular with public - any specific commitments to involve in europe or drag into conflict avoided. Also, Britain stuck between france and germany - needs good relations with both (trade etc.) any commitment would likely threaten her precasrious position in the middle of these two antagonists.

Britain doesnt feel able to commit; small army after WW1, lack of funds and economic damage as well as social spending commitments forced difficult fiscal decisions - miliatry lost out - exemplified by 10 year rule. Lack of military power makes britain feel unable to make promises. Also problems with empire e.g. ireland and india distract attention and resources. No longer had suport of dominions automatically so had less dimplomatic clout esp manpower.

Conclusion: Depends on ow altruistic you view britain - or was she motivated by self interest. I said politicans probably avoided commitments mostly because they didnt want/feel able to make them but the league provided a good excuse to do this wthout losing face.

put a bit abuot interpretations at the end (see earlier post)

anyone go remotely similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikerocker)
    teaching?
    You got it! lol! Dont you think they should ask for more?!

ReputationRep:
    in question 17 i talked about LoN for a lengthy first paragraph but I think it was a little wafflely. then public opinion, empire commitments, domestic/economic probs at home, the aftermath of WWI. within each of these paragraphs i managed to argue for and against but i found finding two sides to the public opinion one quite hard to write! the only time i mentioned the 1930s was saying the the LoN was more successful in 20s than 30s.
    in 16i, did you find that there weren't many similarities between source a and c? my teacher says you can only get half marks if you talk about either similarities or differences and need to write about both to get more than half marks. the only similarites i found was they both agreed policy changed and they both showed Chamberlain mistrusted/disliked other countries (one source said something about germany the other bout russia) - but even this isn't referring to Halifax which is what the question asked! what similarities did you find.
    good luck for friday everyone - i took this module in january thank goodness!
    jjr14

ReputationRep:
    i didnt really talk about similarities, i seem to remember from the mark scheme that to get a certain band (low) you can talk about either, but to get a higher band you MUST talk about differences - because the question is meant ot highlight the differences is historical interpretation between the two sources?

ReputationRep:
    Thank god for that I could only find differences!

ReputationRep:
    hey 'arrgh' which college do you go to in solihull? 6th form or tech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjr14)
    hey 'arrgh' which college do you go to in solihull? 6th form or tech?
    sixth form. why, do you??

ReputationRep:
    yep

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.