Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ok .... just me or ...

was unifying concepts stupidly hard !
- what was the shiny shoe on about

FFE was ok
GolferPar
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Taht was a pretty complex paper to say the least! I reckon the grade boundaries will be fairly low! What was the mass on the bob question about as well?
gangstarr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
i put something to do with a gravity wheel.

at top weight = T + MG . im not sure this was correct ! what was the shoe thing ?!??!

and do you remeber any numericals on uc paper to do with that god awful circuit .
MichaelJWilliams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the answer to the shoe question was about polish. I guess when you polish a shoe you leave a film of (dried) polish over it, so although the black leather absorbs all incident light, the polish reflects light that hits it at certain angles (i.e. above the critical angle for the air/polish interface).
I had a bit of luck with that one - while I was scratching my head over it, my old German teacher walked into the exam room, and he's from Poland...
gangstarr
Rep:
?
what other answers u get ?
MichaelJWilliams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think my answers for the currents were 3A and 6A, but electricity was never my best subject and that generator threw me
I got the half-life of Y to be 72 hours
Asian cutie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i hated the synoptic i think i got about 9/60 i got current at 6a
leigh6387
Report 13 years ago
i put angle of incidence is greater than cirtical angle for shoe polish, X-ray do not diffract because gap is too large, for the currents 24A in teh generator, 3A in one headlight, and 72W for the power, i spent 30mins on the last question about activity just couldnt do it!! A is proportional to r^2, sound waves cannot be polarised because they are longitudinal, fire and high winds due to hot air rising and cold air filling the space left.
RDoh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I did pretty badly on both papers.

For the half-life of Y I got 60 hours (using a graph).

For the generator question, I wasn't sure which e.m.f's applied to which question (12,16 or both). I got 288W as one of the answers.
sarah12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
wtf was that exam bout!! it was weird
i got 72 w but the half life thing i did a calulation and got diff values dependin on which points i chose i got 77h in the end
leigh6387
Report 13 years ago
i took a random guess at the half life 56hrs ha!!!! crazy
lipsticktraces
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i got 57 for the half life using my grap

what did people put for what is happening to the battery, and why does the genteator have to be higher emf than the battery? :confused:
leigh6387
Report 13 years ago
the battery is charging up, and the generator has a higher emf to charge the battery
lipsticktraces
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cheers exactly what i put
ollster
Report 13 years ago
I cant believe I did a paper talking about shoes. I think the synoptic is a dumb ass idea. Maybe I am saying that because I aint very good at them but I don't see the point when it is asking things which are never taught at A Level.

FFE was very easy and it was a real shock to then do the synoptic. I am glad our centre messed up and gave us an extra 15 mins lol
Asian cutie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
did everyone get a curve for the graph in the synoptic?i didnt but then again my balues were made up so hopefully i might get a ecf mark. also for the moles calculation in ffe did anyone get a really big number starting with 5....?
ollster
Report 13 years ago
I got a straight line with a half life of 56.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol the graph was crap - it was more like a straight line. So I decided to use calculation instead and got 77 or something, using data of t=0 and t=6.

There were some really dodgy questions I thought - E.g. the one about, "explain how a refrigerator does not cool a kitchen when its door is open." - I didn't know whether they meant literally (but surely it does cool its surroundings to thermal equilibrium??) or whether they meant "cool it by a significant amount" (i.e. any cooling is negligible).
The penultimate {and last part to some extent} of q. 4 (radioactivity) was pretty dodgy too..
sarah12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
for the last question on ffe how would u work out the energy of the radiation? also for the first question how did u work out the final speed?
GolferPar
Report 13 years ago
The initial current was 8A due to there being internal resistance
V = E - Ir

For the refridgerator question I wrote about negligible cooling of the kitchen due to the extremely large volume. For the shoe question the polish route is definitely correct.

The main question that stumped me was why you couldn't work out a half life for the mixture? I wrote about one inhibiting the other from decaying. As X was decaying so much more rapidly nuclide Y could surround the X nuclide thus preventing it decaying!!!

The bob question could have been to do with fluctuations with the Earth's magnetic field or fluid resistance! Not a clue really, made it up as I went along!

How how do you reckon the grade boundaries will be?
X

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise