The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

4od?

Up until a few days ago 4OD was working fine and now it keeps saying there is an error on everything I try to play, and it's not just my laptop as my flat mates are having the same trouble. Is there some new firewall or security blocking it? Or do I have to configure something to get it working again?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hello!

Firstly, it's possible not anything to do with the university network or anything. Sometimes it is just 4OD. I've had it a few times when trying to watch the Peep Show, but give it a bit of time and keep trying to play it, and sometimes it works.

Also, try watching it in a different browser. 4OD doesn't work for my on IE, but it does work on Firefox :smile:

It's also worth trying to watch it in the pop-up player if it doesn't work normally, as I've found that sometimes works too.

If not, perhaps pop down to ISS and have a word with them to see. I don't see that they'd block it though since they changed the system this year apparently by only blocking what they don't want rather than blocking everything :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
My 4OD hasn't worked since day one =( I even tried changing browsers, settings and the pop-up and it still never worked. I missed Derren Brown's failings and Peep Show because of this. Ggggr...
Reply 3
This exact same thing is happening on mine down on chancellors wharf. I tried to use 4od for the first time last night, it just doesn't work at all! I assumed it was my laptop playing up but I asked around today and everyone else is having the same problem. Soooo annoying!! Do you think resnet will be able to fix it for us or will they say it's not really a priority? Never had any contact with them so don't know what they're like!!
Reply 4
I did e-mail ISS but they gave me a link to these forums...helpful haha.
I don't think it's 4OD in general as my boyfriend lives off campus and it works fine on his computer. I do use firefox and I've tried looking at the settings and trying a different browser etc. to see if was just my computer but I assumed all the settings were right as bbciplayer still works fine(and while we're on the topic, channel 5 on demand doesn't work either because it thinks I'm not in the UK. I only wanted to watch the Ross Noble program, grr)
Reply 5
For five on demand you just have to register then log in, this takes away the annoying 'not in the UK' error. I still can't get 4OD to work, tried everything though some people said it was working when they first arrived...
Reply 6
Distant_Sun
channel 5 on demand doesn't work either because it thinks I'm not in the UK. I only wanted to watch the Ross Noble program, grr)

mine says that cant watch as not in uk. but as soon as i log in it changes its mind and lets me wqatch the program
Reply 7
Well that's that problem solved then, thank you =)
And yes 4OD was working when we first arrived up until about weds/thurs last week.
Reply 8
4od has just started working again for me, so check yours again as it might have miraculously started working again! well done whoever emailed ISS as they might have fixed whatever the problem was after being prompted :smile:
mvelon
4od has just started working again for me, so check yours again as it might have miraculously started working again! well done whoever emailed ISS as they might have fixed whatever the problem was after being prompted :smile:

It does appear we've recently changed something, god knows when there wasn't an announcement to our internal list. We've blocked the port that flash streaming uses, which forces it to go over the webcaches. Which makes it even more important that the webcaches are set properly in your browsers.

I'll try and find out more, but hopefully this'll have helped you lot.

M2.
Reply 10
doesnt work for me still. :frown: i always get "an error has occured trying to play the chosen item"
Reply 11
Still getting the error :frown:
Reply 12
4od has worked for me every time since I came back - it's strange how it's not working for some and yet is working for others. I remember 4od giving an error sometimes when I was at chancellor's wharf last year though.
Reply 13
eden
doesnt work for me still. :frown: i always get "an error has occured trying to play the chosen item"

this is what i get everytime too :frown:
I have found that trying a few times, sometimes in the pop up window or by switching between Firefox and internet explorer sometimes works. It seems to be very temperamental but persistence does pay off.
The Magic Manatee
I have found that trying a few times, sometimes in the pop up window or by switching between Firefox and internet explorer sometimes works. It seems to be very temperamental but persistence does pay off.

I had this on our unrestricted test network, was using Google Chrome, got the same errors. Switched to Firefox or IE and it worked a treat, I have to agree it seems to be very temperamental.
Reply 16
It still doesn't work in another browser, and even then I tried to change the cache settings and it messed up other things. Is there any way it's going to work again like it used to?

Latest