Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could anyone suggest a type of diagram to help explain the interactions between us and the natural procceses leading to a hazard. I was thinking some sort of flow diagram but have heard people talking about venn diagrams? Any help would be good!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh there is one that i think was by Dregg, 1992 which has a venn diagram with geophysical processes on one circle and human vulnerability on the other with the cross-over bit shaded in as the diaster. Then if the geophycal processes are made more intense e.g. by a higher magnitude, larger area extent or longer duration, it overlaps more and causes a larger disaster but it can occur the other way round with the human vulnerability being made higher overaping and also causing a larger disaster. Anyhow, the main thing that it shows is that the disaster has to be a combination of both human and geophysical processes.

that ones quite useful as its really simple and quick to draw in the exam. Hope it helped! xx

ReputationRep:
    yeah use that to define natural hazards + a description.

Hurricane diagram
    plate movement diagrams
    other diagrams for specific case studies....erm thats all I have for my exam plan. Anyone think of something else

ReputationRep:
    I quickly drew out the Dregg thing on paint. It's attached.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Cheers that was just what i was after! Hopefully ill get it in to my essay tomo

ReputationRep:
    I've looked it up and it is Degg, but the date, 1992 is correct

ReputationRep:
    tsunami diagram showing the perpendicular energy would be good. theres also one for avalanche and subduction zones for earthquakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrischriswanwa)
    tsunami diagram showing the perpendicular energy would be good. theres also one for avalanche and subduction zones for earthquakes
    Would you be able to post what these are like? Or are they the usual cause diagrams?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has the following diagrams on paint, or they can scan PLEASE upload for us all!! some of these are simple, but diagrams are easier to remember and can be drawn in the exam!

Hurricane structure/formation
    Types of plate movement
    Volcanic events
    Tsunami (energy transfer type thing)
    Earthquake (as above)

thank you everyone!!!

Ben

(agh! its tomorrow! good luck people)

ReputationRep:
    I do plate tectonic movement just using arrows and then annotating that ie two arrows pointing away from eachother = constructive etc....

ReputationRep:
    anyone????

ReputationRep:
    check out websites, google search it, got no scanner

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.