Turn on thread page Beta

Did anyone do the Salters Horners Physics 4 /5 today?? watch

ReputationRep:
    anyone out there?

howd you find the exam? I thought unit 4 was simpler than the january paper and unit 5 was alright apart from a the "slack SHM" question and giving reasons for why the mass of the elment has to be large for fission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)
    anyone out there?

howd you find the exam? I thought unit 4 was simpler than the january paper and unit 5 was alright apart from a the "slack SHM" question and giving reasons for why the mass of the elment has to be large for fission.
    I din't sit the unit 4 papper. But yeh the "slack" question i didn't have a clue. For the fission question i wrote, that the mass had to be large so it was probable that teh nessary amount of fission would take place to produce the necessary energy, and that with a larger mass it was more likly for the nutrons to bind with another nuclei. wasn't sure on either of those questions, but the rest seemed ok. What was the question on the poem about all about??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muiy)
    I din't sit the unit 4 papper. But yeh the "slack" question i didn't have a clue. For the fission question i wrote, that the mass had to be large so it was probable that teh nessary amount of fission would take place to produce the necessary energy, and that with a larger mass it was more likly for the nutrons to bind with another nuclei. wasn't sure on either of those questions, but the rest seemed ok. What was the question on the poem about all about??
    um i said the last line of the poem was refering to dark matter?

oh and the other question i kinda had a problem with in Unit 5 was the carbon-14 one.... where it asked you to comment on the validity of the dating technique... i was like :confused: :confused: :confused: hhaha...

dya get 2/3for that ratio between the frequncies and 32 years for the age of the stalectides.... lemme see, can you remember ne thing else?

ReputationRep:
    It talked about the edge of everything so i just said that if the universe has an edge it must be closed and not infinet. did no what to write really.

Yeh that carbon -14 question, yeh that was hard, i just said that the decay is a random processs based on probalilty so that it is possible for the C 14 to be around for along time and not decay.

iUm the stalecyides question i got somthing like 45000 years, as there was only one nuclion left out of 256 annd the half life was about 5500 years so i throught that sounded write??

ReputationRep:
    for the decay question, there were 255/256 left... therefore only 1 decayed. so i am pretty sure its something like 32 years (and that also sounds more reaslitic)

ReputationRep:
    About 40000 years for the age of stalagmite, yes. I am pretty sure the fission thing was so the process could continue and be energy efficient for a long time, and a reliable no. of fissions would occur to give the needed power.

I got 2/3 for the ration, but 66.7% seemed like a strangely large % change

I couldnt prove the bloody coulomb's law thing... ARGH! I resolved forces and stuff though, so maybe half marks... the last question on PSA4 was also a bit sick.

ReputationRep:
    grrrr, didnt like the psa5 exam. i put 32 for the c-14 question, i used the 255-256. dont think i did v well, there wasnt much calculation to do, hate explaining stuff. hows everyone feeling for the synoptic?

ReputationRep:
    THAT hard u lot? well well - tough, but i didn't get anything drastically wrong except the shm & circular motion bit on SH5. Hopefully that'll push the grade boundries up...

...bloody poem! that's philosophy or english - not physics!! Stupid! STUPID I TELL YOU!!!!...ahem...only one mark...

The SHM slack rope you had to say that the minimum force down (weight - constant) was always more than the maxiumum force up. Couldn't figure out how to do that tho - equations wouldn't work for me.

Ah well - that's it, over and done with. take a deep breath.....let it out.....and revise some more.....buggrit.....

ReputationRep:
    synoptic - that'll be a challenge. I estimate i need more than 85% for an A, and that'll be close to the best mark I've ever got in a physics exam - not looking good. Especially since it can focus on any area of physics - we haven't had op-amps- if that appears in the synoptic I'm sunk - it's friggin' difficult.

Other than that, ye fine.

ReputationRep:
    i thought module 4 was better then 5.

on module 4 i didn't like the coloumbs law question, wasnt sure what to do, so i quoted some equations and did some other rambling hoping to get a few marks. I think i screwed up the half life question because i put in the equation that 1 is the current number and 256 was the initial number, half life as whatever it was, and when i got to working out t, i got like 4x10-4 s, dam it

on module 5, i think the worst was the bungee cord question. Bah, had trouble there. I cannot remember anything else.

Hopefully the grade boundries are lowered, we can all pray eh?

all the more reason to work my arse off for the synoptic!!

i'm taking a gap year next year so if needed i can resit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAS)
    for the decay question, there were 255/256 left... therefore only 1 decayed. so i am pretty sure its something like 32 years (and that also sounds more reaslitic)
    Haha yeh maybe, but it said that 255/256 had decayed. O well, not worth thinking about really

ReputationRep:
    that's what i thought, so i ended up doing ln(1/256) divided by -lamda to get t, which wasn't a correct value, so i must of misread something.

ReputationRep:
    255 had DECAYED, leaving 1/256. If you showed the correct procedure and maybe units or whatever you might still get 1/2 marks. But I am certain you were to divide 1/256. And also, 32 years isn't very realistic for the age of a stalagmite!

ReputationRep:
    i read it as 255 out of 256 has decayed. Good luck to all of you.

ReputationRep:
    I found PSA4 is a lot more difficult that PSA5, maybe it's too early in the morning and my mind was a bit stuck for paper 4. I guessed nearly all the answers. Everyone said the momentum question was easy however i couldn't do the second last bit but i found the coulomb question alright.

Well... still have the synoptic one to do... and 7 more papers to go

ReputationRep:
    so do people generally think the grade boundries will be lower then 80,70,60 percent range

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Joe)
    so do people generally think the grade boundries will be lower then 80,70,60 percent range
    I think it would be around 70% coz that's what the last year past paper boundry is. And this year one is more difficult. So 68% would be possible to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    Salters Physics always has low boundaries. Usually around low 50%s to get a C and around 65%-70% for an A.

ReputationRep:
    With the slack SHM, you had to prove that the equilibrium position was at a point where the rope is extended below the max amplitude.

I also found PSA5 easier than PSA4, and 4 was MUCH easier than the Jan paper. Though the poetry question...wtf?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.