The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LSE do maths? :s-smilie:
w4rtorn
LSE do maths? :s-smilie:

Nope, but they do do Maths and Economics/ Maths With Economics
Reply 3
Aren't you obliged to state any grade that you have been certificated for?
Well it's year 12 so it's pretty impressive really. I failed in year 13. :s-smilie:
After all, it is a sixth term examination paper, so why would you take it early?
Reply 5
Haloalkane
Hi, I got a 3 in STEP I at the end of year 12. I am applying for maths at oxford, imperial, warwick, ucl, lse.

Would you reckon it is worth mentioning my STEP grade on UCAS, since it is not very impresive, and may in fact work as a negative as a 3 in step I would probably mean a student wouldnt perform that well at oxford?

If I had to guess, Oxford would probably not even notice it, Imperial will strongly dislike it, Warwick couldn't care less, UCL and LSE I dunno.

Personally, if I had the choice, I wouldn't. It's not doing you any favours what so ever.
Reply 6
Swayum
If I had to guess, Oxford would probably not even notice it, Imperial will strongly dislike it, Warwick couldn't care less, UCL and LSE I dunno.

Personally, if I had the choice, I wouldn't. It's not doing you any favours what so ever.

do you mean if you had the choice, you wouldn't declare your step grade?

Would imperial dislike step in general, or because I got a 3 in it?
Reply 7
Haloalkane
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, yes.

I seem to recall Imperial saying to some posters "a good grade in STEP would help us overlook {blah}", so I don't think they're particularly anti-STEP on principle. But a grade 3 in STEP isn't particularly impressive; I wouldn't say it's a *bad* grade, but Imperial seem to react badly to anything that indicates you might not be 'perfect'.

My own tendency would be to declare it: for better-or-worse, you sat it, and that's the grade you got. And it's not a bad grade, and an admissions office with a clue should know you'll probably do better this year.

Easy for me to say that, though.
Reply 8
DFranklin
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, yes.

I seem to recall Imperial saying to some posters "a good grade in STEP would help us overlook {blah}", so I don't think they're particularly anti-STEP on principle. But a grade 3 in STEP isn't particularly impressive; I wouldn't say it's a *bad* grade, but Imperial seem to react badly to anything that indicates you might not be 'perfect'.

My own tendency would be to declare it: for better-or-worse, you sat it, and that's the grade you got. And it's not a bad grade, and an admissions office with a clue should know you'll probably do better this year.

Easy for me to say that, though.

Oh okay thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Haloalkane
Oh okay thank you :smile:
Can I be rude and ask why you think you ended up with a grade 3? How much preparation did you put in?
Reply 10
DFranklin
Can I be rude and ask why you think you ended up with a grade 3? How much preparation did you put in?

actually i prepared for it all year, but i dont know the paper just didnt go well i guess. i was also doing it for the first time in my school, and right before the exam they tell me paper 2 didnt arrive so we wasted some time trying to phone the exam board up and trying to get them to send the paper so i guess maybe i wasnt focused enough?

I did prepare for it well though i think, i worked through past papers and siklos' booklet. I was probably hoping for a 2 though because i never really thought that my ability of step improved that much, the questions always seemed pretty hard. I have got all over 98%s in my a level maths though, so i do think that im mathematically minded. And silver in the senior maths challenge...
Reply 11
oh and also i got send the Paper 2 a few days after by the exam board which I sat under exam conditions and got marked unofficially. I got a grade 2 in that..
Reply 12
Haloalkane

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Imperial likes STEP, but they pretty much look for any excuse to reject you in my experience. To borderline applicants, they've sometimes asked for a 1 in STEP I, which means that's that level they expect their applicants to be at.

I was speaking to an admissions tutor once (admittedly for maths and computing, not straight maths) who said that he'd prefer students sitting exams like AEA/STEP in Year 13/upper sixth and getting the grade they truly deserve rather than a year early and getting a grade not as high as they could have (I think he was referring to getting a merit in the AEA in Year 12 rather than distinction in Year 13). It appears that you fall exactly under this category of underperforming by taking it a year early.

I was rejected by Imperial in my 2008 application even though all my friends got in (who had similarish grades to me) and I'd bet that it's because I declared that I got a U in the AEA for maths.
Reply 13
Swayum
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Imperial likes STEP, but they pretty much look for any excuse to reject you in my experience. To borderline applicants, they've sometimes asked for a 1 in STEP I, which means that's that level they expect their applicants to be at.

I was speaking to an admissions tutor once (admittedly for maths and computing, not straight maths) who said that he'd prefer students sitting exams like AEA/STEP in Year 13/upper sixth and getting the grade they truly deserve rather than a year early and getting a grade not as high as they could have (I think he was referring to getting a merit in the AEA in Year 12 rather than distinction in Year 13). It appears that you fall exactly under this category of underperforming by taking it a year early.

I was rejected by Imperial in my 2008 application even though all my friends got in (who had similarish grades to me) and I'd bet that it's because I declared that I got a U in the AEA for maths.

Oh thats strange, you're one of the strongest mathmos on TSR. A friend applied for the same course I am, Maths & Stats for Finance at imperial for 2008 entry, and got in, even though they found they didnt want to study maths at the end and switched courses. His modular scores weren't that great, and his personal statement was actually fully based on finance.

Imperial gives strange offers then..
Reply 14
Should I bother telling them about my 2 in STEP II, which isnt an official grade, if you read above.

I think my referee has mentioned that, but if they dont like a 2 either I'll get it removed from the reference.
I would say a 2 in STEP II would be a "positive" rather than a negative, but on the other hand, I suspect a lot of universities are pretty cynical about 'unofficial' exam results. There's absolutely no way of telling whether you'd already seen discussion of the paper on TSR etc.

But I think I'd either remove both or neither, especiailly as if you only include the 'unofficial' STEP II result you can pretty much guarantee they'll ask why you didn't sit the exam properly, and you're going to end up having to tell them you sat STEP I but didn't tell them about it.
Reply 16
Haloalkane
Oh thats strange, you're one of the strongest mathmos on TSR.

Haha I wish. I'm not even top 20, especially right now. I did badly in the AEA in 2007 mainly due to silly mistakes like thinking y = mx + c goes to y/m = x + c :s-smilie:. Made up for it in 2008 though :proud:

A friend applied for the same course I am, Maths & Stats for Finance at imperial for 2008 entry, and got in, even though they found they didnt want to study maths at the end and switched courses. His modular scores weren't that great, and his personal statement was actually fully based on finance.

Imperial gives strange offers then..

Imperial admissions are pretty weird.

Latest