Turn on thread page Beta

OCR B (Advancing Physics) Field + Particle Pictures exam today watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnwarneruk)
    i got 2n u sure that was wrong?
    I reasoned that 2N on something with a mass that tiny would produce an acceleration way too huge to be true :confused: . Speed of light in nanoseconds, but then that'd start getting relativistic so maybe we are right with 2N. Good to know it wasn't just me who got that though.

ReputationRep:
    cant remember thats question that paper was sooo hard lol. did any u gus use the equation F=QE. all of the show me questions were not bad was that forc on a particle question where u got 2N a show me 1?

what mak out of 70 do u rekon is a B?

ReputationRep:
    40 B or something? depends on UMS and your coursework Grade for that module

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnwarneruk)
    40 B or something? depends on UMS and your coursework Grade for that module
    wots the csewk 2 exam ratio?>

ReputationRep:
    30% ish.

Basically, each module is out of 119 and 127 RAW I cant remember which is which, your coursework mark is then times by 1.215 or 1.4** something respectively, and added to your exam mark to give you a total, which then becomes UMS. between 90-95 Marks for 127 is usually A i belive dunno about 119.

Next time i go downstairs ill find a markscheme and find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    wots the csewk 2 exam ratio?>
    Each of the 2 pieces of coursework this year is worth 45 UMS. So out of the A2 papers it's 30%. The 3 last year were worth 30 UMS each, so overall it's 180 UMS or 30% of the whole of the A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    course work is worth 40% of the exam im sure of it. our teacher is always saying!
    i thought a B is 50 out of 70 not 40? cos 40 sounds low. i havent even got 40 i rekon cos that exam was hardcore physics lol solid

ReputationRep:
    Well.... it seriously depends on your CW mark, it's about 40 for a B if you got 35/40 in your coursework im working on...

ReputationRep:
    Exam is out of 90.

Multiply this by 0.7 to get 49, which should roughly be a B.

According to my teacher grade boundaries are always slightly lower because more people mess up Physics. So you're looking at around 45-49. (I say 45 because I thought the paper we just did was relatively harder than some of the others I've done, and because most people on here are complaining about it as well)

So for the 2nd year what are the actual UMS marks?

I know Clockwork Universe is out of 100. So that leaves 200 marks shared between Field and Particle Pictures and the Synoptic, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunGod87)
    I know Clockwork Universe is out of 100. So that leaves 200 marks shared between Field and Particle Pictures and the Synoptic, anyone?
    Yeah, the synoptic is 90 and the FPP is 110. That's UMS btw. The UMS marks for each of the papers today include the associated coursework.

page (vi) of this gives the breakdown:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Da...uzyy4kbLM6.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared about the synoptic paper. Especially the random questions!

ReputationRep:
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    hey so if i got 34 for my c/w what do i need on the paper to get a B

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there was a mistake in the FPP paper. The "show that" question after that one where they gave you the atomic mass unit (u). I didnt see it myself, so consequently i dont remember the question (i just know i got it wrong) but i hear the thing they asked u to "show that" was wrong!

ReputationRep:
    meaning what? the marks will be awarded?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure. If there really is a mistake, im think they scrap the question, but it was only 1 or 2 marks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ok cool.
    are the grade boundaries the same every year? or do they alter it according to how hard the students found the exam generally

ReputationRep:
    nah i think i got the correct answer on the show me question about converting the mass in U to KG. it was somthing like whats the mass of X238 so u just x 238 by the number they gave u to convert u to kg.
    u now the very 1st page where they asked u to calculate the force of the alpha particle nwhat equation was it F=qe or F= k x q1 x q2/r^2

and what do u guys rekon u need for a B

(Original post by A.S.D)
    nah i think i got the correct answer on the show me question about converting the mass in U to KG. it was somthing like whats the mass of X238 so u just x 238 by the number they gave u to convert u to kg.
    u now the very 1st page where they asked u to calculate the force of the alpha particle nwhat equation was it F=qe or F= k x q1 x q2/r^2

and what do u guys rekon u need for a B
    it was the inverse square law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloader)
    ok cool.
    are the grade boundaries the same every year?
    The grade boundaries are the same every year for UMS marks.
    80/100 or 88/110 - A
    70/100 or 77/110 - B
    etc.
    but they change the raw (or actual) marks you need for that many UMS marks.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.