Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Paper: Representation and Democracy watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Looking over some of the other threads, it seems like some exam boards have published model answers on their websites. Representation and Democracy is the exam I am struggling with the most at the moment, so I was wondering if any of you knew of model answers published on the Edexcel site? I've tried to search around for them, but not found anything.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
    Fiona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona87)
    Hello!

Looking over some of the other threads, it seems like some exam boards have published model answers on their websites. Representation and Democracy is the exam I am struggling with the most at the moment, so I was wondering if any of you knew of model answers published on the Edexcel site? I've tried to search around for them, but not found anything.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
    Fiona
    i do have a model answer for that paper but it's not on my computer and my scanner is dead at the moment. For question a it basically just followed the Before, What changed, What stayed the same structure (i don't know if you answer it like that) It was the WW1 as a turning point question and essentially had 3 paragraphs plus intro and conclusion basically split between men and women. For the b question(upper classes' desire to retain political power) (s)he went through Act by act with quite a few references to the sources (which are always rubbish!) and focused mainly on the reason in the title but did address other causes. The conclusion basically claimed that it was the main reason in 1832 but political expediency became more important in the subsequant years.

Hope that helps a little!

EDIT: It's quite reassuring as it's not particularly erudite or scary in any way, it just follows a coherent structure and has a lot of supporting evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)
    i do have a model answer for that paper but it's not on my computer and my scanner is dead at the moment. For question a it basically just followed the Before, What changed, What stayed the same structure (i don't know if you answer it like that) It was the WW1 as a turning point question and essentially had 3 paragraphs plus intro and conclusion basically split between men and women. For the b question(upper classes' desire to retain political power) (s)he went through Act by act with quite a few references to the sources (which are always rubbish!) and focused mainly on the reason in the title but did address other causes. The conclusion basically claimed that it was the main reason in 1832 but political expediency became more important in the subsequant years.

Hope that helps a little!

EDIT: It's quite reassuring as it's not particularly erudite or scary in any way, it just follows a coherent structure and has a lot of supporting evidence
    That's excellent - thank you so much! If I can get the plan in my head sorted out and know I'm heading in the right direction, it helps so much. So thank you again for posting that up there! What marks did the model answer get?

ReputationRep:
    full marks! would be nice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm Doing Rep and Democ and then Chartism for Unit 6 so the two fit together quite nicely!

However, I'm not overly clear about what the exam wants us to do / demonstrate...Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkle.Dremas)
    I'm Doing Rep and Democ and then Chartism for Unit 6 so the two fit together quite nicely!

However, I'm not overly clear about what the exam wants us to do / demonstrate...Any help would be appreciated!
    Hey i'm doing exactly the same! I think the turning point question wants to see our analytical and evaluative skills and hence it's very important to avoid narrative and causation essays. The other question is seeing how we handle history over a hundred years and our ability to form a strong argument. Or at least that's what we've been told!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the structure of the paper to me as well? I *think* there's 3 questions and sources, but we haven't looked at this topic since December so my memory is a little vague!

ReputationRep:
    any predictions? what will the turning point be they have done 67, 84 and 1914-18 so I think its time for 1832! that would be brill
    Also for the other question what could it be do you think it will be about pol. parties I hope not any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    There are only two questions - there used to be 3 but people were spending too much time on the first one. Now there is just the turning point and the hundred year question. There are still three sources, however.

i'm spending my revision time praying for 1832 but i fear we may get something about the labour party and w.c representation or something evillll like that! Also don't want 1872 or 1883 - there just isn't enough to say!
    i hope it's not political parties - didnt they kind of have that last year?
    extra parliamentary protest - or have they had that as well! who knows!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)
    There are only two questions - there used to be 3 but people were spending too much time on the first one. Now there is just the turning point and the hundred year question. There are still three sources, however.

i'm spending my revision time praying for 1832 but i fear we may get something about the labour party and w.c representation or something evillll like that! Also don't want 1872 or 1883 - there just isn't enough to say!
    Had similar hopes about 1832, but wouldn't put it past examiners to do something random :-S 1832 seems logical, and, to be honest, to leave it out is a bit silly as it makes it seem as though it's unimportant enough to not be included on a paper without reluctance.

Good luck for revision :-D

ReputationRep:
    I think since so many people complained about last years paper as political parties technically isn't on the syllabus, it should go back to the old format of an act as a turning point and then a causation essay. But they could give a really random cause such foreign influence or something silly like that. I'm hoping it will be pretty straight forward, but I guess we'll find out on Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nellz)
    but I guess we'll find out on Monday
    It's like Christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)

I think it will be 1832..at least thats what ive been revising! I really hope its not 1883 too!
    There already has been popular protest.. im thinking it mite b social n economic conditions but id really REALLy struggle with that. I wudnt mind aristocrats but they hav already had that! Id quite like party politics but i dont think they wud do that coz they did it last year! AHHH!! im sooo scared!!

ReputationRep:
    Heya, i'm doing this paper too! My teacher reckons 1832 or the creation of the ILP! I've done practice papers on both and although I thought the latter was awful, it's not so bad as I thought, she also thought it could be a combination of 1872/1883!

ReputationRep:
    For QA 1832 would be great but as I've practiced most of them it shouldn't be too bad, hopefully?

I really hope it isn't parties for QB as I struggled to do that as a practice homework essay with all my notes.

Anyway I have done some revision notes for QA if anyone wants a look.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Turning Points & Their Effects REVISION NOTES.doc (49.5 KB, 325 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm doing this question as well but we've only seen one past paper and it was with 3 questions. With the new version do we definately know that one will be about turning points? What about for the other one is that definately on something too?

ReputationRep:
    slightly worried coz we havent done anything bout the creation of the ILP!

ReputationRep:
    what factors have people done?

Our class did party politics, popular protest, war, social n economic conditions, ideas, aristocracy desire to maintain power, the middle classes, working class consciousness, (and circumstances)

i kinda only want a couple from that last!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annik)
    slightly worried coz we havent done anything bout the creation of the ILP!
    Annik, I am thinking exactly the same thing. Was in the library earlier today and another person in my History class said that she had seen "ILP" on the Edexcel advice to candidates (from the website), but it's an area we hadn't ever heard of before - unless it has another name? I have it scribbled on my hand and am going to go have a look on the internet for information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona87)
    Annik, I am thinking exactly the same thing. Was in the library earlier today and another person in my History class said that she had seen "ILP" on the Edexcel advice to candidates (from the website), but it's an area we hadn't ever heard of before - unless it has another name? I have it scribbled on my hand and am going to go have a look on the internet for information.
    i know its the start of the independent labour party..
    (Kier Hardie)..and i know about the threat of labour and rise after 1918..but thats from my unit 6 work!!
    How can it actually b a turning point??!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.