Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Paper: Representation and Democracy watch

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't think I answered B very well and I'm starting to think I mis-interpreted the question I wrote that it had little influence on extending democracy and instead argued my point that it was reform in order to preserve, mentioning w/c pressure etc as other factors in the final para...UH OH

ReputationRep:
    Having just looked the a question isn't even on the syllabus. The b question was ok though, it just took a little bit extra planning then usual. But combined with unit 6 I think I can say 'bye bye A in history'

ReputationRep:
    Ack this paper!

thank god everyone else hated it!

1911 = we hadnt covered it!

2nd question i answered fine but forgot to directly refer to the sources.... however i did cover their content in my essay i think... so i should be ok ?

god knows!

horrid edexcel!

i wanted 1832

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its not on the syllabus but hopefully they wil drop mark boundaries... what unit 6 did u guys do? i did the stalin one was quite ok i hope

ReputationRep:
    stalin too, was ok, but sources were pants!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen1987)
    Yeah its not on the syllabus but hopefully they wil drop mark boundaries... what unit 6 did u guys do? i did the stalin one was quite ok i hope
    So 1911 doesnt fall between 1830 and 1931 then? Of course its included in the syllabus, along with the rise of the Labour and the Secret Ballot Act...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    So 1911 doesnt fall between 1830 and 1931 then? Of course its included in the syllabus, along with the rise of the Labour and the Secret Ballot Act...
    i agree! my teacher didn't prepare us for it for nothing! It was even covered in the edexcel revision day. it's really quite important but i do have a lot of sympathy for those who felt under prepared- i've had exams like that in the past and it's just horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    I would have to disagree. The syllabus clearly states:

*in what ways did the size and composition of the electorate change in this period?
    *how did electoral changes affect political parties?
    The 1911 Parliament Act does not address either of these two issues.

ReputationRep:
    maybe the clue is in the title tho- representation and democracy in britain. Clearly the payment of MPs was an important step for the working class and the declining influence of the house of lords made the system more democratic. You couldn't fully understand the period of reform without consideration of the parliament act and hence you should have been prepared to answer questions on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)
    maybe the clue is in the title tho- representation and democracy in britain. Clearly the payment of MPs was an important step for the working class and the declining influence of the house of lords made the system more democratic. You couldn't fully understand the period of reform without consideration of the parliament act and hence you should have been prepared to answer questions on it.
    Perhaps, but at the end of the day, edexcel should be more specific in their syllabi, as my teacher taught it to us as background knowledge but told us not to revise it as it won't come up as a direct question, and by the sound of it, a lot of people weren't even taught it as an act. Edexcel should be more specific and I don't think candidates should be penalised because the examboard designed an exam that is too predictable, and are therefore having to resort to obscure questions to keep candidates guessing.And apparently, before last year political parties was not a specific part of the syllabus and it was only added to the specification after the exam fiasco of this same paper last year :mad:

End rant!

ReputationRep:
    bet ur teachers kicking himself then...i aced the damn exam

ReputationRep:
    *edit* to b honest i completely crashed n burned on the 1911 question as our teacher also said it shouldnt come up as its aparently ''NOT'' on the syllabus.. t-wat :]

ReputationRep:
    *in what ways did the size and composition of the electorate change in this period?
    *how did electoral changes affect political parties?

The Parliament act did affect political parties, is between 1830 and 1931 and therefore should have been taught.

That aside, I have to say Edexcel are really squirreling the questions - Question a was knowledge, and straightforward really, but question b was a badly expressed question on a minor issue - just as last year's was - however, Political parties has always been on the syllabus and wasnt added after 2004 - it is the way the syllabus is used in question making rather than its own deficiencies that are the main problem.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt taught 1911 either, I came out of the exam and just cried.#

Also part B was really horrible because u couldnt talk about causation at all, I felt that all i was talking about was knowledge and you dont get marks for just knowledge for the B question.

Horrible exam!

ReputationRep:
    well apparently we have just been told that the payment of Mps wasnt actually under the 1911 act? and that that came later.

all i wrote about was the payment on Mps, as although i though it had something to do with the house of lords and elections etc, i wasnt sure if it was that act for definite as i had only briefly read about it in my wider reading and had not been taught it. I am now kicking myself for not writing that as it would have been correct. Balls

Our teacher is peeved!

ReputationRep:
    payment of mps definately was 1911 - it even referred to it source 3 so you will get marks for that!i only vaguely alluded to the shorter parliaments as i wasn't quite sure if it was part of the act. i did talk about the house of lords though.

ReputationRep:
    lol maybe i should write to edexcel and say ' during my exam a animal got killed outside the window and therefore i was distracted and upset which is why i failed to include sources and why i didnt write about the house of lords which i do know about honest!'

bah, im thinking its not going to work

ReputationRep:
    1911:
    Payment of MPs (Lab demanded this) = w/c rep = 1929 Govt
    Reduced lifespand of Parlt (7to5yrs)
    Lords could only veto things for 2 years (more important due to life spand of Parlt)
    Lords cannot reject finance bill e.g. 1909 People's Finance Bill
    BUT Lords still hereditary & has considerable power (curses I forgot this bit)

I am suprised ppl didnt know this was one of the tp as we were taught it admitadly only v. quickly

ReputationRep:
    Just another point.
    1911 should have been expected but what was qb? it was totally different to all other qbs. However I think if u read the q it was O.K. well i hope so neway!

ReputationRep:
    i dont think 1911 should have been on it really, it is really questionable whether it fits the syllabus etc, and yes i accept it did have effect on the labour party in particular but other than that.... hmmm well what is done is done. We hadnt been taught it nor told to learn it, even for passing comments... im sure there will be lots of complaints!

Ah well

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.