Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Paper: Representation and Democracy watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjackson34)
    1911:
    Payment of MPs (Lab demanded this) = w/c rep = 1929 Govt
    Reduced lifespand of Parlt (7to5yrs)
    Lords could only veto things for 2 years (more important due to life spand of Parlt)
    Lords cannot reject finance bill e.g. 1909 People's Finance Bill
    BUT Lords still hereditary & has considerable power (curses I forgot this bit)

I am suprised ppl didnt know this was one of the tp as we were taught it admitadly only v. quickly
    Must remember though that TP questions are more focused on the effects - ie what changed because of the Act, and why that was important, than the details themselves - main things that changed:

a) Final bastion of aristocracy removed - as only delaying powers rather than veto - and Salisbury convention negated these if issues were in manifesto.
    b) Allowed radical policies such as Home Rule, 1918 Reforms, and eventually a Labour government in 1924 which was unimaginable before 1911 + more W/C Mps with Payment
    c) Caused a massive shift in Tory party who were after the war a solid m/c party - 1922 not repealing the Parliament Act, 1923 Choosing Baldwin rather than Lord Curzon (as he was a Lord) and 1920s and 30s social reform policies from Neville Chamberlain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    Must remember though that TP questions are more focused on the effects - ie what changed because of the Act, and why that was important, than the details themselves - main things that changed:

a) Final bastion of aristocracy removed - as only delaying powers rather than veto - and Salisbury convention negated these if issues were in manifesto.
    b) Allowed radical policies such as Home Rule, 1918 Reforms, and eventually a Labour government in 1924 which was unimaginable before 1911 + more W/C Mps with Payment
    c) Caused a massive shift in Tory party who were after the war a solid m/c party - 1922 not repealing the Parliament Act, 1923 Choosing Baldwin rather than Lord Curzon (as he was a Lord) and 1920s and 30s social reform policies from Neville Chamberlain.
    you do need to refer these changes to the terms of the act though. they're fairly meaningless on their own.
    Good evidence though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)
    you do need to refer these changes to the terms of the act though. they're fairly meaningless on their own.
    Good evidence though!
    As it was a 'how far' question you also had to consider what didnt change, and therefore how it wasnt significant.

ReputationRep:
    exactly what i was going to say before i had a mental block!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alro)
    exactly what i was going to say before i had a mental block!
    lol. We had not been prepared for 1911 as a turning point, so it was unexpected, but i rambled on for three pages about stuff, so hopefully it went ok. I cant really judge the B question- i thought it was very strange, not really focusing on causation as it is meant to, but i dont think it was completely unanwerable.
    Now im revising for unit 4 on fri- SO dull its unbelievable!
    What is everyone doing for unit 4? Im doing Conservative Dominance 1886- 1906

katy xx

ReputationRep:
    i did c/wk for unit 4 so i've finished my history a-level - a bit scary really!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.