Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anybody is doing this exam next wednesday? How are you revising? I find it really difficult to revise for French, has anybody got any useful tips (especially for the translation!)?

Merci beaucoup!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it, but since I don't have a lot of time for French revision (Latin tomorrow, three History exams next week, as well as Eng Lit and General Studies), I think I might just glance through some grammar and maybe watch a French film or something the night before to get me into French mode.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a couple of French papers to do, but I suppose that's all I'll do. You can't really do that much – maybe learn some vocab every day or something. It can't hurt!

ReputationRep:
    Its quite difficult to revise for this one I think, particularly because there aren't that many past papers available for it. I'm not really revising for it because I have other (more worrying) exams, for FR04 i'll probably just look through my vocab sheets the day before, and look at some grammar.

If anyone else has any other good suggestions, it'd be appreciated. I attempted to revise yesterday, but I just ended up flicking aimlessly through my book which was completely pointless!

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, same here! I've got English and History next week, so French has been totally neglected. I did exactly the same thing as you yesterday Mits... flicked. lol. Watching a french film is a good idea actually, maybe I'll do that. I'm most worried about the translation though, has anyone got any advice on that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm ok with translation, so I don't worry about it too much! I think the best way to improve that is to practise it, so maybe get an article from Le Monde or somewhere and try translating it. Or the Guardian used to do articles in French with any bizarre vocab glossed: have a look at http://education.guardian.co.uk/lang...682662,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, that looks good, thanks madelyn! Hum I'm thinking I should start some proper revision now............

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that guardian website...its got some really good stuff on it :-)

im finding it difficult to revise too...mostly just concentrating on grammar (especially the damn subjunctive lol) and bits of vocab. my main worry is the translation from french to enlish...i hate all those little words that catually have no specific meaning like "alors" etc and you have to put them in context grrrr

ReputationRep:
    I always start with the reading part of the paper, then do the listening, so I can read through my translation at the end and see if it sounds like reasonable English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    I always start with the reading part of the paper, then do the listening, so I can read through my translation at the end and see if it sounds like reasonable English.
    ooo... bonne idée...
    merci beaucoup!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2k5)
    ...i hate all those little words that actually have no specific meaning like "alors" etc and you have to put them in context grrrr
    I completely agree!!! I find the 5 sentences which we need to translate from English to French more difficult than the French to English bit though, simply because I find it really difficult to remember all of the different tenses, and I still get a little confused about when to use the perfect/imperfect/pluperfect (I really should have learnt that by now, so if anyone can help me with this it'd be appreciated).

Another thing I find a bit difficult in this section is when to use the words 'a' or 'de' when using a verb in a specific tense, and then the infinitive afterwards (eg j'ai décidé de faire). Are there any particular guidelines to use when deciding whether to write 'a', 'de' or nothing before the infinitive? Or is it just something you have to learn?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

ReputationRep:
    I have a sheet somewhere which tells you which verbs take a, which de, and which neither, but I can never remember things like that, so tend to just go with whichever sounds better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mits)
    I completely agree!!! I find the 5 sentences which we need to translate from English to French more difficult than the French to English bit though, simply because I find it really difficult to remember all of the different tenses, and I still get a little confused about when to use the perfect/imperfect/pluperfect (I really should have learnt that by now, so if anyone can help me with this it'd be appreciated).

Another thing I find a bit difficult in this section is when to use the words 'a' or 'de' when using a verb in a specific tense, and then the infinitive afterwards (eg j'ai décidé de faire). Are there any particular guidelines to use when deciding whether to write 'a', 'de' or nothing before the infinitive? Or is it just something you have to learn?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
    I always get stuck on that too. I don't know if there's a 'rule' to using de or a, but I have a list. It seems that most verbs take "a" plus infinitive, ones which take "de" include:

accepter de
    s'arreter de
    avoir: envie de/l'intention de/le droit de/raison de/tort de
    choisir de
    decider de
    essayer de
    eviter de
    s'impatienter de
    menacer de
    meriter de
    negliger de
    offrir de
    oublier de
    prevoir de
    promettre de
    proposer de
    refuser de
    regretter de
    rever de
    risquer de
    tacher de
    tenter de
    trembler de
    venir de

The ones (on my handy list!) that don't take either are:
    adorer, compter, desirer, detester, devoir, esperer, nier, oser, penser (to intend to..., not to think), savoir (to know how to), sembler.

Apologies for lack of accents etc, hope that's helpful in some way... though actually I've never bothered to learn them

ReputationRep:
    its tomorrow guys!!! hows the revision going? i haven't done much because I've been concentrating on biology *regrets that now* man I hope this exam isn't hard like the German one was....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayley_1604)
    its tomorrow guys!!! hows the revision going? i haven't done much because I've been concentrating on biology *regrets that now* man I hope this exam isn't hard like the German one was....
    Wot revision? Ive gone through some past papers and questions but im really not sure wot else to do. Its getting to a point that i dont see the point in doing anywork coz if i dont know it now i never will. Im dreading the english to french translation but the rest im not too worried about. I guess we will all have to wait and see what somes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyse180887)
    Wot revision? Ive gone through some past papers and questions but im really not sure wot else to do.
    My thoughts exactly, I think French is one of those (few) subjects, where cram revision doesn't work - there aren't really any hard facts we need to know so it just depends on what topics come up on the exam more than anything, which we can't really predict due to the very few past papers available. Ah well, just relax and hope for the best tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Yep good luck everybody! I haven't done any revision as I've been snowed under with English and History Am trying to do some last min stuff now....

Anyway, hope it goes well! Fingers X'd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    I have a sheet somewhere which tells you which verbs take a, which de, and which neither, but I can never remember things like that, so tend to just go with whichever sounds better.
    See the links I posted on this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t123053.html

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    So people... How did it go for all of you then?

I thought it was ok, though there were a couple of stinker questions -.- I had to break the cassette box getting the tape out though, it was jammed shut

ReputationRep:
    Ha the same thing happened to me, spent about 5 min and resorted to stampin on it, to get it open! *******o AQA they just want you to fail lol!
    yeh i found it ok actually, think it could have been a lot alot harder. The long listening was alright aswell, and the big translation.
    Had the usual crappy articles in it tho - seriously monitering your cat when your at home, i hate cat owners anyway and that would just be taking it to a whole new level of sadness!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.