Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing this unit?

I'm trying to guess what turning point question will come up. I have a gut feeling it will be the Suez Crisis.

There have been three papers so far (2002, 2003, 2004) and the turning points which have come up before are:

- WW1
    - Boer War
    - Indian Independence

Which leaves WW2 or Suez if there not going to repeat themselves. June 2004 was on Indian independence so thats almost a dead cert not to come up.

What do other people think???

Question b:

Is going to be how something influenced the expansion and contraction of the empire. I really want it to be economic considerations but its been up before. What do others think it might be??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Laxy!)
    Anyone else doing this unit?

I'm trying to guess what turning point question will come up. I have a gut feeling it will be the Suez Crisis.

There have been three papers so far (2002, 2003, 2004) and the turning points which have come up before are:

- WW1
    - Boer War
    - Indian Independence

Which leaves WW2 or Suez if there not going to repeat themselves. June 2004 was on Indian independence so thats almost a dead cert not to come up.

What do other people think???

Question b:

Is going to be how something influenced the expansion and contraction of the empire. I really want it to be economic considerations but its been up before. What do others think it might be??
    No one???

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling they're going to do the Suez Crisis, dunno why, just a feeling

As for the second question, they're all pretty much inter-changeable and to do a good answer for one you need to know about the other factors - IR, strategic considerations etc.

ReputationRep:
    can we do a turning point 4 suez on here?
    if everyone does one factor
    how many factors do you use in your essay - and are you expected to spend just 25 min on 1st part

ReputationRep:
    OK, here would be my answer for the Suez Crisis:

"The Suez Crisis, in some ways, was quite a significiant turning point. Firstly, it marked the final defeat for the old imperialists. Prime Minister Eden, who for a long time had been a passionate supporter of the empire, was forced to resign, and his successor Macmillanadopted a realpolitik strategy, accepting the process of decolonisation. This new found concensus was a direct result of the Suez Crisis. It also demonstrated once and for all how much the world had changed politically. It would have been unthinkable previously that Britain could be forced to pull out of a former colony so easily, but the rapid condemnation andsubsequent run on sterling that nearly crippled the economy illustrated that America's strategic aims were now priority, and colonial ambitions were a thing of the past. Perhaps more significantly, President Nasser's "victory" served as encouragement for other African leaders such as Nkrumah on the Gold Coast to push further for independence. This, combined with the general embarassment created by the crisis, accelerated the final phase of decolonisation.

However despite the geo-political shift, the empire still had some role on the world stage in the short term. For example, America valued the existence of British colonies where communism was a threat, notably in Malaya. This demonstrates how the empire was not made completely redundant by the Suez Crisis.

Overall, I believe the most significant aspect of the Suez Crisis was that it accelerated the final phase of decolonisation in the colonial era. On the other hand, if it had not been for the economic and military strains of WWI/WWII, Britain may not have been in such a weak position by 1956, and America would not have been in such a dominant position economically. From this perspective, although the Suez Crisis was significant it is clear that the real turning point for Britain was the economic and military decline caused by two world wars leaving her unable to maintain the empire, and the Suez Crisis merely highlighted this."

As for question B), I think that they can only really ask about politcal, social, economic and strategic factors, but if anyone knows of any others, Id be grateful to hear what they are.
    Hope that will be some help!

ReputationRep:
    political factors??

ReputationRep:
    the boer war was on the edexcel specimin paper, as was attitude explaining empire in Africa. It could be first world war, but its more likely to be second world war or suez.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.