Why are open days always on a Wednesday? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Reloaded
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
is there something about wednesdays that makes it more convenient for unis?
i went to 4 out of 6 open days and they were all on a wednesday.
dazednconfused
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Most unis don't have any lectures/teaching on Wednesday afternoons (they're kept free for sports)... so it means lecture halls/other facilities are available, when they probably wouldn't be on another day.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It is because that students are free on that day. This signifies that they could help out during open days and conduct tours, etc... Furthermore, it's a day where they could do extra-curricular activities.

The person above beat me in posting it, lol. Some open days are during the weekends however.
fabulous_darling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Also my school, and most of the schools that I know, use Wednesday afternoons for General Studies lessons and tutorials. Those aren't too important and universities would rather have A Level students miss not-so-important lessons than oh-so-important proper A Level lessons on another day.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was wondering that too actually lol. Now it makes sense, although I went to the Royal Holloway open day yesterday and the student who gave us a tour said the term had finished anyway.
lawrence4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They don't have lectures Wednesday afternoons, also my college finishes wednesday afternoon (earlier), I had 50%+ of Wednesday's off this year as I only had form.
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Wednesday thing always used to annoy me last year, as I had 3 of my five periods of History a week on that day, and missed loads because of all the open days! It was in a good cause though, lol.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.01%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.39%

Watched Threads