Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Phy 4 was quite challenging this time... I had done a lot of Past Papers, but I never found many of the questions that appeared in today's paper..
    Looks like marking scheme will be low this time around!!!!!?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the PHY 4 had many strange questions, the spider stationary wave, the force on the girl thing (I simply did F=mg, althought some classmates did F=mg+mrw^2).
    Whereas the PHY5 was more straighfoward.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about harder...but definitely felt better about phy5...its shorter!

I acttually hadn't done any past papers, had never seen a past paper for phy5 :eek:

the spider web question was quite nice
    and I don't remebr this force on a girl thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    on question 1, centralpetal force in order to keep a girl in orbit, given 6400 km and 60 kg

ReputationRep:
    phy4 got me too, i got stuck out with the question about the pendulum ..the whole question...maybe cos i've forgotten my free body forces and haven't done mechanics in ages.

ReputationRep:
    for the pedulum I got mgsin4 as the acceleration towards O

ReputationRep:
    Ph4 was horrible, the pendulum was the most confusing thing. For the resultant force thing on Q1 i got like 589N. Everyone in my school found it hard.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, what was the source for Gamma and Infrared Radiations in Q 2???? For Gamma, I wrote Earth surface (blind guess)... For IR, was it television romote, mobile phones etc..????

ReputationRep:
    Gamma comes from radioactive decay, Infared from the cosmics.

ReputationRep:
    well ,i think i am gonna fail in physics...
    i got A in AS, but this time, hope i can get B overall...

ReputationRep:
    ye i found phy4 really hard as well but all my friends at skool sed it was really straight forward. in the text book for infa red it says cosmic and really hot objects and gamma is radioactive decay. for the first qu i got 2.03 for the circular motion qu and 588 for the reading on the scales. i didnt understand why it was worth 3 marks tho. wot other questions were there?! i didnt like the pendulum question either,.....i didnt understand wot instantaneous acceleration was. i got a bit confused. o in phy5 i remember the qu i got stuck on..... it was about weight and height and sed wot assumption do u hav to make and explain!? any ideas?
    Sarah xxxx

ReputationRep:
    the exam was really tough and it had many tricks in it for example in question 1c the calibrated reading would be the reaction of the gurl mg-R=mrW^2

ReputationRep:
    hopefully the grade boundaries get really low then

ReputationRep:
    ...anyone got a copy of the exam papers???

1) grade boundaries are usually quite hight in physics- if you found it hard, worry, cos you can be sure they'll be some ppl out there who loved it

2)in the satellite height/weight question...I said that the assumption thats made is that the same amount of grav force is working on the satellite...not sure if its right

3) IR radiation- I wrote EXTREMELY hot objects, cos visible light was -"hot objects"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valerio)
    for the pedulum I got mgsin4 as the acceleration towards O
    ... I put 9.81cos4 wasnt it like the normal reaction force when doing mechanics???

ReputationRep:
    It was gsin4. When you think about it this is clear since from the size of the angle you can see it's only a tiny component of the force acting towards the equilibrium point. gcos4 is virtually equal to g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)
    It was gsin4. When you think about it this is clear since from the size of the angle you can see it's only a tiny component of the force acting towards the equilibrium point. gcos4 is virtually equal to g.
    that's what it has to be... isnt it?? It has to be almost equal to g... because... well... it's almost vertical... isnt it? so when it's completely vertical it's g... when it's just turned 4º it must nearly be g...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.