Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what is the most narrow-minded you have ever heard someone say??

mine has to be on last wednesday before the english exam when this incredibily snobbish comment came out of this girl in my class:
    "i guess you have an excuse to be bad at english if it's not your first language". i swear i could have slapped her there and then!!

english isn't my first language -chinese is although i can only speak - but i'm still predicted and highly likely to get A*s in both eng lit and eng lang as well as all my other GCSEs - well hopefully i'll get them!!!
    i go to a private school where hardly anyone is purely british so she insulted half my class whose first languages include french, polish, spanish, italian etc.
    anywayz i had a right go at her coz of her ignorance of the fact that everyone in the class who is bilingual is actually brilliant at english and much better than her. plus being bilingual just opens up so many more doors when looking for a job.
    no offence to anyone who's british, but i just can't stand those typically british people who think that they're the best and that anyone who's not british is somehow lower than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieD)
    i just can't stand those typically british people who think that they're the best and that anyone who's not british is somehow lower than them.
    not sure about the answer to your question, but that's the most narrow minded thing i've heard today!

ReputationRep:
    OMFG YEA SO ****ING INSULTING

what the ****...

ReputationRep:
    Me being a mathmo, I prefer to stay away from essays and english and stuff like that, but I understand that if somebody prefers english then that's OK.

This lad I've known for a while is one of those english people and he doesn't like maths at all. That's fine, but he constantly makes comments to me like "we all know you could train a monkey to do maths" and my favourite, "a psychological study has shown that mathematicians are introverted and narrow minded but english students are well rounded and generally nicer people". Obviously made up just to have a dig at me.

He always leads the conversation to maths so he can make the digs but whenever I mention the subject he says "blood hell! Why do you ALWAYS end up bringing this up". :eek: Which is gay as it's usually him that brings it up.

Anyway. He's not nice. I was delighted a few weeks ago when I was with a few of his "friends" and they were all talking about how much they hated him .
    He always talks about how he is really good at computer games and as he's quite well built and tall he often mentions that (indirectly or not). We're talking every other sentence here. "I was playing Halo 2 with Steve, enjoying the sound of his screams and the crunching of his bones as I skillfully killed him every time I saw him. He said he couldn't bear to be shamed so much by my skill so I lifted him up and put him on my cupboard. Did I mention that he weighs 14 stone (yes, 4 times over the last 2 minutes).... " He arrogance really is that bad.

And his complete intolerance to maths leads me to say that he is incredibly narrow minded and cannot accept that other people do actually like things that he might hate.

BTW. He has often accused me of being arrogant, narrow minded and a snob so he's also very hypocritical :rolleyes: . I'm just glad I only have to see him maybe 2 or 3 times ever again .

ReputationRep:
    You are an idiot, way oversensitive. The comment wasn't rude, or meant to be rude, and to be honest it's the complete truth. Of course someone who has grown up speaking english is more likely to have a better handle on the language, and that's not to say that those who haven't can't achieve as highly. You are the one who is narrow minded, immediately assuming that any comment pointing out cultural differences must be narrow minded and racist, whereas in reality, such differences should be considered. Grow up and stop being overly politically correct, as that's just boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Me being a mathmo, I prefer to stay away from essays and english and stuff like that, but I understand that if somebody prefers english then that's OK.

This lad I've known for a while is one of those english people and he doesn't like maths at all. That's fine, but he constantly makes comments to me like "we all know you could train a monkey to do maths" and my favourite, "a psychological study has shown that mathematicians are introverted and narrow minded but english students are well rounded and generally nicer people". Obviously made up just to have a dig at me.

He always leads the conversation to maths so he can make the digs but whenever I mention the subject he says "blood hell! Why do you ALWAYS end up bringing this up". :eek: Which is gay as it's usually him that brings it up.

Anyway. He's not nice. I was delighted a few weeks ago when I was with a few of his "friends" and they were all talking about how much they hated him .
    He always talks about how he is really good at computer games and as he's quite well built and tall he often mentions that (indirectly or not). We're talking every other sentence here. "I was playing Halo 2 with Steve, enjoying the sound of his screams and the crunching of his bones as I skillfully killed him every time I saw him. He said he couldn't bear to be shamed so much by my skill so I lifted him up and put him on my cupboard. Did I mention that he weighs 14 stone (yes, 4 times over the last 2 minutes).... " He arrogance really is that bad.

And his complete intolerance to maths leads me to say that he is incredibly narrow minded and cannot accept that other people do actually like things that he might hate.

BTW. He has often accused me of being arrogant, narrow minded and a snob so he's also very hypocritical :rolleyes: . I'm just glad I only have to see him maybe 2 or 3 times ever again .
    I do maths and english and can safely say that maths rules (despite being rubbish at it )!

And geez, does that guy need some reassurance about himself or what? Insecure people can be so annoying :rolleyes: .
    Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardAndr)
    You are an idiot, way oversensitive. The comment wasn't rude, or meant to be rude, and to be honest it's the complete truth. Of course someone who has grown up speaking english is more likely to have a better handle on the language, and that's not to say that those who haven't can't achieve as highly. You are the one who is narrow minded, immediately assuming that any comment pointing out cultural differences must be narrow minded and racist, whereas in reality, such differences should be considered. Grow up and stop being overly politically correct, as that's just boring.
    WHOA quit judging! - you weren't there you don't know the situation. The girl's comment in itself may have been fine but did you hear her tone of voice? No. So how would you know if the girl meant it to be racist "I'm better than you" comment or simply pointing out something?

Unless you're a foreigner you're not really gonna know some of the inequalities that goes on and yes some British DO think foreigners can't use English as well as them just because it's their second language. Somehow it just makes you "not as good" especially when it comes to real competition like in jobs, as my parents have pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've noticed that whenever someone asks what you're going to study at university, and you reply mathematics, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a response along the lines of 'I hate maths'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I'm sure you've noticed that whenever someone asks what you're going to study at university, and you reply mathematics, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a response along the lines of 'I hate maths'. :rolleyes:
    Somthing similar happened in that thread with the magic phone number formula thingy. Some people posting things like "do maths nerds use that to get girl's numbers" and "somebody really sad must've spent years working that out" :rolleyes: I don't know.... kids :p:

ReputationRep:
    no offence to anyone who's british, but i just can't stand those typically british people who think that they're the best and that anyone who's not british is somehow lower than them.
    Ok there are people who think they are better than everyone else, but I would not think they are typically British. Every nationality has it's fair share of stuck up snobs - the French more than most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardAndr)
    Of course someone who has grown up speaking english is more likely to have a better handle on the language,
    Although I agree with the majority of your comment I actually disagree with that part. In my experience people who learn English as a second language have a better understanding of the technicalities of the language that most native speakers.

ReputationRep:
    English is easier to learn than my own mother tongue (Mandarin). It shouldn't be a problem for those who have experienced far worse like having to memorise idioms and Tang poems. I speak from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    what is the most narrow-minded you have ever heard someone say??

mine has to be on last wednesday before the english exam when this incredibily snobbish comment came out of this girl in my class:
    "i guess you have an excuse to be bad at english if it's not your first language". i swear i could have slapped her there and then!!

english isn't my first language -chinese is although i can only speak - but i'm still predicted and highly likely to get A*s in both eng lit and eng lang as well as all my other GCSEs - well hopefully i'll get them!!!
    i go to a private school where hardly anyone is purely british so she insulted half my class whose first languages include french, polish, spanish, italian etc.
    anywayz i had a right go at her coz of her ignorance of the fact that everyone in the class who is bilingual is actually brilliant at english and much better than her. plus being bilingual just opens up so many more doors when looking for a job.
    I know a painfully narrow minded person and she just goes about 'judging' you like she's God or something. The thing is she can be really nasty like tellling you everyone hates you and sh it, and you're a 'bad' person. But it's so narrow minded because shes knows nothing about you so who the hell is she to judge you or anyone for that matter? And its not her right to put you right on your faults because - her faults are listed to hell. It's just this superocity complex and leads to her taking out her prejudices on you and it's wrong and can turn into something long term and nasty.

It's narrow minded because it just a flat decision made, with no thought or consideration at all and they've no right, people with closed minds do my head in they really do.

ReputationRep:
    'I wouldn't go to an Asian doctor'

I just wanted to slap her when she said that. She was being so racist, we had a huge arguement across the classroom about race. She wanted to kick all non whites out of the country. i started listing her 'friends' who are of mixed race/a different race to her going 'Would you send them back?' It annoyed me so much i had to stop arguing with her otherwise i would have done or said something silly.

Grrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    "i guess you have an excuse to be bad at english if it's not your first language"

That's not as narrow-minded as you're impressing. It's harsh in that it's saying you're bad at English. But if you weren't brought up speaking it then you don't have a headstart.

Although I do appreciate those that have learnt English through another language can have a better idea of English syntax etc. It depends on the situation. That girl was just being catty, I'm sure she's aware her statement doesn't generalise to everyone.

Narrow-minded thing that sticks in my mind... my mother thinks when you're bullied it's always your own fault. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starbuck*)
    Although I agree with the majority of your comment I actually disagree with that part. In my experience people who learn English as a second language have a better understanding of the technicalities of the language that most native speakers.
    they sure understand how all the grammar works (i havent got a clue) but do they nooooooo understand all the slang and random phrases.

ReputationRep:
    my parents likening whey protein to steroids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loopz)
    Narrow-minded thing that sticks in my mind... my mother thinks when you're bullied it's always your own fault. :eek:
    some people have personalities which just set them up for being bullied. the time a girl tried to bully me i shouted at her till she started crying. whereas my sister just doesn't know what to do and hence gets bullied every so often. although i do threaten anyone who bullies her :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    some people have personalities which just set them up for being bullied. the time a girl tried to bully me i shouted at her till she started crying. whereas my sister just doesn't know what to do and hence gets bullied every so often. although i do threaten anyone who bullies her :rolleyes:
    True, and some people are just nice/ normal and it's not their fault. It's the bully whose insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Random girl: Are you muslim?
    Me: Um, no, I'm quarter chinese o_0 (I get asked these kinds of questions a lot, because people can never normally tell what race I am...why it matters to them I'm not sure :p: )
    Random girl: Ah right, so you hate the Japs then.
    Me: .....

I don't see how being a quarter chinese (and don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my heritage, but I've always thought of myself as English) means I hate an entire country's worth of people.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.