Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i get asked that too!! i kinda don't know what to say coz my neighbours are japanese and they're nice people!!! the girl i was talking about did say her little comment in a 'i'm better than you' kinda voice which is what pissed me off. don't get me wrong, i'm not racist or prejudiced in any way espeically as some people may be racist towards me, but i don't quite understand how being chinese can automatically mean that i love maths, physics, chemistry when i really don't!! i'm not bad at these subjects, i just don't enjoy them all that much although chemistry's ok-ish!!

ReputationRep:
    My bf is Filipino and a year 12 came up to me and said "So is your boyfriend from China or Japan?" Grrrr. Plus the comment on the French being arrogrant is very narrowminded and too generalised.

ReputationRep:
    All the boys at middle school who said that ginger girls are minging and no-one fancies them.. seven years, five boyfriends and more than enough male interest later.. yeah, they got that one wrong

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to go off on a tanjent (sp?) but is your name anything to do with Cold Comfort Farm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    All the boys at middle school who said that ginger girls are minging and no-one fancies them.. seven years, five boyfriends and more than enough male interest later.. yeah, they got that one wrong
    sure did! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Me being a mathmo, I prefer to stay away from essays and english and stuff like that, but I understand that if somebody prefers english then that's OK.

This lad I've known for a while is one of those english people and he doesn't like maths at all. That's fine, but he constantly makes comments to me like "we all know you could train a monkey to do maths" and my favourite, "a psychological study has shown that mathematicians are introverted and narrow minded but english students are well rounded and generally nicer people". Obviously made up just to have a dig at me.

He always leads the conversation to maths so he can make the digs but whenever I mention the subject he says "blood hell! Why do you ALWAYS end up bringing this up". :eek: Which is gay as it's usually him that brings it up.

Anyway. He's not nice. I was delighted a few weeks ago when I was with a few of his "friends" and they were all talking about how much they hated him .
    He always talks about how he is really good at computer games and as he's quite well built and tall he often mentions that (indirectly or not). We're talking every other sentence here. "I was playing Halo 2 with Steve, enjoying the sound of his screams and the crunching of his bones as I skillfully killed him every time I saw him. He said he couldn't bear to be shamed so much by my skill so I lifted him up and put him on my cupboard. Did I mention that he weighs 14 stone (yes, 4 times over the last 2 minutes).... " He arrogance really is that bad.

And his complete intolerance to maths leads me to say that he is incredibly narrow minded and cannot accept that other people do actually like things that he might hate.

BTW. He has often accused me of being arrogant, narrow minded and a snob so he's also very hypocritical :rolleyes: . I'm just glad I only have to see him maybe 2 or 3 times ever again .
    Hey think of it this way: that guy is obviously either over-confident or he's not confident at all, either quality means he's probably not gonna go far in life, in the extremes. And he's only digging at Maths cus he probably cannot do it to save his life and is jealous of you who can do Maths!

Personally though, I hate Maths Craziness why people would wanna do Maths - although I also completely admire those who can do it and have the talent for it cus I'm so incredibly crap at Maths I'm good at all other subjects - just cannot do Maths Although I do like Theoretical Physics - and I found out that was part of Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Unless you're a foreigner you're not really gonna know some of the inequalities that goes on
    narrow minded urself much?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just because we're not foriegn doesn't mean we don't suffer inequalities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey87)
    Yeah, just because we're not foriegn doesn't mean we don't suffer inequalities!
    Perhaps she means the racial inequalities. I have no doubt that we all experience some form of inequality.

ReputationRep:
    I told asked by a random Muslim girl once if I spoke English :mad: What language did she think I was speaking to her in then!?

Oooh and to the typical Chinese image - lol well I cannot do Maths, neither do I like it, and I LOVE Japanese and everything about Japanese So yeh, LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey87)
    Plus the comment on the French being arrogrant is very narrowminded and too generalised.
    But true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekillersrock)
    narrow minded urself much?
    Why is my comment narrow-minded when it's true? And yeh I meant racial inequalities - I wasn't claming natives don't experience inequalities.

Look you do just get subtle things about race now and again - you just DO - and while most people are not being racist, some are at least mildly prejudiced but people don't notice it unless it's directed at you.

Mind you I'm not saying all English are like that - love England and everything about it - almost all my friends are English. If anything I'd much rather stay in England. I was the first to burst out in shock and anger when I heard some Swedish person claimed all English were racists - which was just completely NOT true!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the English (I find) are ok, and quite open-minded about things. But some people are just *so* annoying. I don't even know if they realise how stupid they sound and actually, another British person might not notice it at all, but as a "foreigner" I do. And comments that people have mentioned on here do sound bad to me.

Like Irisng, I love England absolutely, I think its one of the best countries to live in. I've never felt safer (or cleaner, argh) and like I have all this opportunity in front of me. I think that people who come from other countries can appreciate what English teenagers sometimes don't... the fact that you can *choose* from hundreds of universities. Oh, and that you can go on the dole! You have no job in Africa, you starve! This country rocks.

But the downside of that is that I will always be a foreigner and as such, English people seem to feel a need to *discuss* this with me. So I find myself trying to explain the whole socio-economic status of Africa, defending Islam (I'm a catholic!) and trying to tell people why black Americans seem so bitter. Someone has to do it, so that any kids I have don't have to put up with being asked whether people still live in mud huts "where they come from" (yes, some of them do, and they're quite comfy!)

But the downside of that is that people will always see you as a foreigner, and they will tr

ReputationRep:
    ooh, it stopped...

... try to *discuss* that with you, in great depth.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, yes. No matter HOW many times I tell people I've never been to China and I've lived in England all my life, so many people insist on asking me questions about China, and if I can speak Chinese and if I know kung-fu. I also get a lot of people asking me if I have chinese stuff around my house. It really winds me up, I don't expect my British friends (hardly any, almost everyone I know is from more than one country) to have Union Jacks hung on their walls and for them to drink tea all the time. Sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    Eurgh, yes. No matter HOW many times I tell people I've never been to China and I've lived in England all my life, so many people insist on asking me questions about China, and if I can speak Chinese and if I know kung-fu. I also get a lot of people asking me if I have chinese stuff around my house. It really winds me up, I don't expect my British friends (hardly any, almost everyone I know is from more than one country) to have Union Jacks hung on their walls and for them to drink tea all the time. Sheesh.
    haha I know a chinese guy and no-one asks him weird questions like that :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    Hehehehehe Yeh I don't get much of that anymore - but when I was in primary school and some lower years in school now asked me stuff like: Do you have a telephone in HK? Do they have coke? (from the primary school people) and Do you know Kung-fu? Do you like Jackie Chan? (from kiddy people now)

I get "Konichiwa" thrown at me sometimes too :confused: They think I'm Japanese.

And I've never been to China either! Nobody can understand why I say I'm not from Asia or from China though It's simple - it's cus I'm not! I'm from HK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Hehehehehe Yeh I don't get much of that anymore - but when I was in primary school and some lower years in school now asked me stuff like: Do you have a telephone in HK? Do they have coke? (from the primary school people) and Do you know Kung-fu? Do you like Jackie Chan? (from kiddy people now)
    Heh, in primary school: "They have Mc Donald's in Hong Kong? Reaaaally?"

In China we had a tour guide and everyone insisted he looked like Jackie Chan...

...because Chinese people all look the same.

Mata said it well.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i guess that's just pure ignorance not racism!!! but the one thing i can't stand is " hey didn't Britain used to own China?" that drives me crazy!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I get a lot of narrow-minded people talking to me about gender because I'm trans (most sentences start with, "you're not a man because..."). My normal response is, "Who are you, the gender police?"

People are often very afraid of things they don't know about or don't understand. If someone says something narrow-minded to you, try explaining to them nicely that their comment could be seen as narrow-minded or offensive, and why.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.