Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieD)
    what is the most narrow-minded you have ever heard someone say??

mine has to be on last wednesday before the english exam when this incredibily snobbish comment came out of this girl in my class:
    "i guess you have an excuse to be bad at english if it's not your first language". i swear i could have slapped her there and then!!

english isn't my first language -chinese is although i can only speak - but i'm still predicted and highly likely to get A*s in both eng lit and eng lang as well as all my other GCSEs - well hopefully i'll get them!!!
    i go to a private school where hardly anyone is purely british so she insulted half my class whose first languages include french, polish, spanish, italian etc.
    anywayz i had a right go at her coz of her ignorance of the fact that everyone in the class who is bilingual is actually brilliant at english and much better than her. plus being bilingual just opens up so many more doors when looking for a job.
    no offence to anyone who's british, but i just can't stand those typically british people who think that they're the best and that anyone who's not british is somehow lower than them.
    well it really depends on the tone she spoke with. But if she wanted kinda to feel sorry for you, then it is quite narrow minded from ur side. However if she wanted to take a piss at you, certainly she is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    My friend (well dnt reli think of him as a friend now), says stuff like 'You know nothing' . He always says it to me everytime i get something right in class or if i do well in a test. It's not like he says it in a jokey way either, he's really serious.

Then once after mi GCSE bio (a week ago) i said i think i might get an A* and he said quietly 'Yeah but you don't deserve it'. I asked him what he said and he changed the subject.

I don't understand people like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzieD)
    what is the most narrow-minded you have ever heard someone say??

mine has to be on last wednesday before the english exam when this incredibily snobbish comment came out of this girl in my class:
    "i guess you have an excuse to be bad at english if it's not your first language". i swear i could have slapped her there and then!!

english isn't my first language -chinese is although i can only speak - but i'm still predicted and highly likely to get A*s in both eng lit and eng lang as well as all my other GCSEs - well hopefully i'll get them!!!
    i go to a private school where hardly anyone is purely british so she insulted half my class whose first languages include french, polish, spanish, italian etc.
    anywayz i had a right go at her coz of her ignorance of the fact that everyone in the class who is bilingual is actually brilliant at english and much better than her. plus being bilingual just opens up so many more doors when looking for a job.
    no offence to anyone who's british, but i just can't stand those typically british people who think that they're the best and that anyone who's not british is somehow lower than them.
    You sound like a drama queen.

ReputationRep:
    trust me, she did NOT want to feel sorry for me coz she knows that i'm a straight A student - i'm not boasting but she's told me herself how she doesn't like me because of this - so i know that she really did want to offend me. but it backfired on her coz then everyone in the class whose first language isn't english had a right go at her too!! there's like only 3 people in my class who are purely british as everyone else is a mixture so she offended quite a few people!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.