Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my AS exams and I am trying to think positive about them as possible but I am sure that I haven't done as well as I could have in Biology. I really want to do dentistry.

The subjects that I am currently taking are Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Graphics.

Now what I need is your advice because I am not to sure about which subjects to pick. I know that I will be taking Chemistry but I was wondering that instead of Biology would it be alright to have Physics as an A2? Also, I was thinking of doing maths but I am still not so sure.

Another thing that I wanted to ask was that if I did Graphics A2 as my third ALevel, would that be alright? I went to the UCAS convention earlier on this year and most universites said that it would be fine because it shows manual dexterity but would it be better to have a more academic subject?

Owh and if you have 4 A Levels do you have a higher chance into getting the place because you have more of a work load? I am so confused, help please!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that it would be best to carry on with biology because you'll find the 1st year of the dentistry course so much easier (well in bristol any way, i dont know about other unis), you'd definately be a disadvantage if you didnt have a2 biology. I did chemistry, biology and geography for a-level and i got in, i think taking graphics would be ok for your 3rd alevel, but maybe you should talk to some unis about that as i could be wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I would keep biology, chemistry, maths, graphics. It would decrease a the workload a bit, as two science subjects are a lot. If you don't know what to drop, you could wait until you get your AS results and decide. I think you would have advantage if you have 4 A-levels, as other people will have 3 A-levels or 3 A-levels with 1 AS.

It seems that medical students do A-level maths. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yup as Sarah said I'd definitely keep the Biology - it's not essential but it does help a lot, you cover the same sorta ground in Biochemistry, like the TCA Cycle etc (don't worry if it means nothing to you yet!). For As I had the same subjects as you bar Graphics and I dropped Maths and carried on the 3 sciences to full A-level, which IMO opinion is fine.

So...Chemistry you need, Biology is recommended and then you could either do two more subjects or just the one. We didn't do much maths this year but a tiny bit came up in Biochem which wasn't worth worrying about. I took Physics cos I liked it, I can't recall it coming up at all this year...so I;d recommend that your 3rd and maybe 4th options be something that you enjoy.

As for manual dexterity, Graphics is a good option but if this is the sole reason you would take it you should think about other things you could use to show manual dexterity and do another subject that you enjoyed.

Finally...IMO four A-levels aren't a necessity and most people I know only took three. But if you want to do four then go for it. If it gets too tough you could always drop one.

ReputationRep:
    Oowwh thank you all so much for your advice. I kinda got worried in the begining when no one replied but really it has helped me alot!

For now anyway I think that I will be taking Chemistry and Biology throughout but it is just the 3rd one that I have to choose. Graphics is something that I enjoy very much so if given the chance I will definetly do that as an extra A Level as I already got my A in AS.

For the manual dexterity how do you show this though? You can say things in your personal statement and then are you meant to take some evidence of this into your interview?

Subjects wise I think that I woun't make any hasty decisions and just wait for my results to come out, August 18th. Ahh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imagination)
    Oowwh thank you all so much for your advice. I kinda got worried in the begining when no one replied but really it has helped me alot!

For now anyway I think that I will be taking Chemistry and Biology throughout but it is just the 3rd one that I have to choose. Graphics is something that I enjoy very much so if given the chance I will definetly do that as an extra A Level as I already got my A in AS.

For the manual dexterity how do you show this though? You can say things in your personal statement and then are you meant to take some evidence of this into your interview?

Subjects wise I think that I woun't make any hasty decisions and just wait for my results to come out, August 18th. Ahh!
    I would go for Graphics and the two science subjects as you got an A at AS. Yeah, in the interview you will be asked stuff based on your personal statement and other stuff out of your personal statement. In addition, they might ask something about dentistry too.

The best thing is to wait until results day to make your final decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I honestly am having nightmares about results day because so much hangs off it *ahh*

Another Question: I am currently applying to my local Dental Sugery for some work experience but do you know a good amount of time to spend there? I know the more time the better but do you think that about 2 weeks would be alright?

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks is alright then try doing some other type of w/e - like in a hospital. Your w/e doesn't have to be totally dentistry-based, you could help out in a primary school or volunteer somewhere as well.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.