Turn on thread page Beta

EVERYBODY please sign this petition. watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a sniper air rifle, its so brilliant. *reloads to shoot another chav*

ReputationRep:
    Signed.

ReputationRep:
    Well the problem with this country is that everybody always complains about "the nanny state" yet some of the people of this country are so barbarically irresponsible and selfish, that without government intervention they would make life very hard for their fellow citizens.

ReputationRep:
    I second the previous comments - you actually think an online petition will make any difference at all? As you've seen - many people sign simply because you asked them to. What do you think any politician knowing this is going to think?

ReputationRep:
    What a load of rubbish. :rolleyes: I love the quotation on their site: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." How is shooting plastic pellets an "essential liberty"? :confused: I mean seriously, it's plain silly. There's nothing good about guns whether they are BB, air, paintball or real. You just need to look across the pond at America where they get so protective about their poxy second ammendment (the right to bear arms) and then wonder why every few months a kid is able to shoot up a school. I know the petition is for different guns, but really what's the point? If it gets replica guns off the streets (which no doubt these government measures will) then it's a good idea. Police are put in impossible situations when confronted with some idiot with a replica gun; shoot and they get done for killing someone "unarmed" and if they don't shoot and they run the risk of being killed themselves. Having fewer guns (replica or otherwise) is a good thing so I won't be signing the petition.

ReputationRep:
    englishdtudent: i think that's going a little over the top. What about laser guns where there isn't even a projectile? But it's SIMULATING the act of firing a gun...there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and it should be between realistic and unrealistic likelyhood of killing/badly injuring someone. BB guns and such are not exactly an 'essential liberty' but neither are claw hammers, kitchen knives or even a housebrick, but it's a hell of a lot easier to kill/seriously maim someone with them than with a BB gun (not great examples, but you get the idea i hope). Replica guns are not necessarily a good idea, but worth the trouble of taking them off the street? Not by a long way.

...anyway, that's my little speech.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of this unification to the let the government know that the sport of Airsofting is a perfectly safe and respectable pastime that contributes to reducing crime by taking young people off the streets and giving them a safe, active and fun hobby that anyone can enjoy.
    I cant understand how encouraging violent behaviour can be GOOD for young anti-social people :eek: . Thus i will not sign this petition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    englishdtudent: i think that's going a little over the top. What about laser guns where there isn't even a projectile? But it's SIMULATING the act of firing a gun...there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and it should be between realistic and unrealistic likelyhood of killing/badly injuring someone. BB guns and such are not exactly an 'essential liberty' but neither are claw hammers, kitchen knives or even a housebrick, but it's a hell of a lot easier to kill/seriously maim someone with them than with a BB gun (not great examples, but you get the idea i hope). Replica guns are not necessarily a good idea, but worth the trouble of taking them off the street? Not by a long way.

...anyway, that's my little speech.
    Imagine this scenario:

Policeman confronting a criminal. The criminal is cornered and is holding a replica gun and pointing at the policeman. Does the policeman shoot or not?

This situation couldn't happen with a claw hammer, a brick or even a kitchen knife. The instant nature of confrontation with a gun is unique. If it's not worth the effort I wonder why police chiefs across the country have welcomed the measure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Imagine this scenario:

Policeman confronting a criminal. The criminal is cornered and is holding a replica gun and pointing at the policeman. Does the policeman shoot or not?

This situation couldn't happen with a claw hammer, a brick or even a kitchen knife. The instant nature of confrontation with a gun is unique. If it's not worth the effort I wonder why police chiefs across the country have welcomed the measure?
    While i agree with you englishstudent, i also agree with crazychemists. I mean i have seen water pistols that can look like the real thing (e.g. at night). should we ban those too? How about a banana that is placed in a pocket to seem like a gun? (<-- inspired by an old advert on TV, anyone seen that? lol). I know i am taking this to the extremely stupid levels but it is my intention to show that there has to be some limitations.
    and then when the government does something, and tries to ban something we argue that the line drawn by the government is too far or not far enough. Its a debate that can never be solved. The best we can hope for is for the government to have some sense and reach a sensible conclusion. And as for banning airsoft guns, it definetly doesnt qualify as part of the so-called "nanny state" movement. I bet even John Stuart Mills (famous liberalist) himself wouldnt bother with this!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.