Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know anything about how to write about Tudor Parliament? I've found several exam questions on it but I have no idea what to put in them! I'm doing AQA Tudors 1529-1603. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (please)

ReputationRep:
    Um...look at how many sessions there were in each reign, how they related to what was going on (e.g. with regard to foreign policy), what the monarch asked of them, what parliament was used for and how that changed....MAR Graves has a pretty good book on Elizabethan ones, which might help.

ReputationRep:
    OMG somebody that is actually doing the same Tudor history paper as me! Im stressing about it though, coz i have done nowhere near enough revision (havent started Mary or Elizabeth yet!) and its Monday!!

Anyway, tudor parliament Q,
    RELIGION - played a huge role in how often parliament was called = probably the main focus. Cromwell and the Reformation parliament that lasted for 7 years in order to get the divorce passed.Mary worked closely with Parliament in order to get all of Henry's religious laws/articles revoked.
    MONARCHS KEY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS - Cromwell realised that he needed to involve parliament with the proceedings of the divorce,otherwise it would have never happened. Cromwell also reorganised parliament - developing House of Commons (so dont forget any possible reforms which may have happened)
    FACTION - Wolsey only called parliament once due to the fact that the nobility hated him.

Hope thats a help xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!!! It's nice to know someone else is sh***ing themselves about history - I've gotta get at least a B and there is absolutely no way I'm gonna and its really really terrifying! if theres anything you're stuck on let me know and I'll try n help, if i can!

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, i am sh***ing myself. ive got to get at least a B too, hmmm good one! So im not too bad with the reigns - just got to learn them lol, however i suck at the economy bit, you know the section that includes towns, inflation, vagrancy, poverty etc. Any tips/help please

ReputationRep:
    that won't be a compulsory question, I didn't learn anything about it at school so you musn't need to know it. You could just learn it if you feel that you would be limited as to what you could answer in the optional questions. Good luck with Mary and Elizabeth lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so sorry to be a right pain, but just done Mary (ok i lie, i read through the notes a few times - lets hope somethings worked its way in lol) and next bit in the folder = Mid Tudor Crisis, i have no idea of even the key stuff on this one, can you poss help - give any tips/advice what to focus on? im screwed lol

ReputationRep:
    oooooh im glad you said that about the economic thing, my teacher said that it could be in it (i was wetting myself only going to revise it coz i thought it might come up in the synpotic but if u havent done any of it - i suppose it cant) anyway, phew thats cut my revision down by about 1/3!!!

ReputationRep:
    mid-tudor crisis = we all remember Henry and Liz, but Edward and Mary are just a bit crap really - or are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    mid-tudor crisis = we all remember Henry and Liz, but Edward and Mary are just a bit crap really - or are they?
    I like that. It's funny. Do you think they'd give me any marks if I wrote that...?
    More about parliament if anyone needs to know (we spent ages on it)
    - Became of key importance to the crown becuase of the way Henry VIII used it to change religion during his reign. Elizabeth could only pass the religious settlement with parliament's consent. If you look at the act of Supremacy, there's a rather odd bit in it about the laity being allowed communion in both kinds - nothing to do with supremacy. This was becuase Eliz. knew she'd get that one through but wasn't sure about Uniformity, but she definately wanted the communion thing to happen.
    - Parliament had limited power in some respects, becuase the monarch was allowed to veto any bill, even if it made it through both lords and commons, which elizabeth did quite often. HOwever, at the same time, the monarch couldn't collect taxes without parliament's consent AND neither could they pass laws without the consent of both houses - they needed each other!
    - Parliament was uaully called when the monarch wanted money and then sent packing again, met very infrequently. Not many people did more than one term as an MP becuase it was too expensive. this is why the idea of a 'Puritan choir' is nonsense. ALso, men like cecil had 'men of business' in the commons, who they used to try and manipulate elizabeth.

ReputationRep:
    My module title is Reformation, Reaction and the Age of Elizabeth 1525-1603 AQA.

We've concentrated on Henry VIII and Edward and done very little on Mary and Elizabeth.

_______

The 1530s is perhaps the most significant decade in English cultural, religious and political history, of course due to the reformation but also due to Cromwell's governmental reforms.

Cromwell sought to get rid of the feudal system which he saw as inefficient. He thus created a surplus of well-qualified ministers away from court, which saw the beginnings of parliamentary rule. Cromwell was of course very liberal and under Humanist influences, largely through his connections with Cambridge University and Anne Boleyn (who had many prominent associates at Cambridge) - and this is why he wanted parliamentary authorisation of policy. Using parliament to push through the First act of dissolution and subsequent bills served to disguise the fact that Henry and Cromwell were basically doing it for political and economic reasons (inextricably interlinked in this period). Using parliament also gave the impression of the reformation legislation being legitimate and what the people wanted. So effectively the Crown became the embodiment of the will of the populace. Cromwell had manipulated the Valor Ecclesiasticus (a censor of all the monastic orders) for his own political and (for the crown) economic ends. It was perverted by Cromwell's ministers and as a consequence parliament easily cooperated with the dissolution because the several monastic orders of England had been portrayed in a very negative light.

Essentially Cromwell is key to tudor parliament and his influence is evident when you look at the crap administration of the 1540s.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you helpful people!
    Don't worry bout it Libby - if economics is on the question paper I'm gonna fail like a really big failing thing! We haven't learnt it so if it's compulsary I'm suing.
    And I think that Edward and Mary were great - crappy ass monarchs but really interesting info. Don't know much bout Liz - only did like 6 years or sumthin.

ReputationRep:
    we did the second option - Edward, Mary and Elizabeth. MAybe that's why everytime you guys say Cromwell I'm going ...'Huh??'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    we did the second option - Edward, Mary and Elizabeth. MAybe that's why everytime you guys say Cromwell I'm going ...'Huh??'
    Lol yeah, I keep forgetting to mention that I'm only doing a few years of Liz!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm doing the same as you, Lilith. Which makes me hapy as I really don't like Henry VIII. And we haven't learnt economics stuff either, except for a couple of sheets to use as background contexty stuff.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.