Help Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,

Does anybody know how the class of a BSc is typically calculated?

e.g. 1st year worth 20%
2nd year worth 30%
3rd year worth 50%

??? Thanks in advance!
mousey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All i know is that usually, the first year doesn't count towards your final result at all. All you need to do in the first year is gain a 40% pass mark to gain access into the second year. I'm not sure how things are weighted after that. xx
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
OK thanks, on my degree its 10/20/30/40 over 4 years, but if I cash in now then I'm just trying to work out what class of degree I'd get...

So maybe 50/50 or 40/60 for the 2nd and 3rd years?
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kingspharm)
OK thanks, on my degree its 10/20/30/40 over 4 years, but if I cash in now then I'm just trying to work out what class of degree I'd get...

My guess is that it's more like 40/60 than 50/50...just a guess tho...
KingsComp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It depends from uni to uni AND from course to course. There are many universities where the first year doesnt count for anything where everything is split between years 2 and 3.

For Kings its something like:

1st Year: 11%
2nd Year: 33%
3rd Year: 56%

Also the way in which your final mark is calculated also varies from uni to uni and course to course. For the Physical Sciences and Engineering Department of Kings you can use this website to calculate it:

http://brahms.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~databas...Indicator.html
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

On my degree it's 10/20/30/40 for an MEng (4 year) or 10/30/60 for a BEng (3 year). Are you sure that you're able to just stop after year 3 and get a BSc? I don't know how it works for other courses admittedly but our 3 & 4 year courses are different after 3rd year so if you leave after the 3rd year of a 4 year course you don't actually get a BEng.
Jenn xx
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Thanks KingsComp, they would probably calculate it the same way in my school as well.

Jenn - I have to get 50% aggregate in my third year to be able to do the masters bit (year 4) - I'm not terribly confident of success, so I'm trying to work out what class of degree I'll get it if the results don't go my way tommorow :laugh:
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks KingsComp, they would probably calculate it the same way in my school as well.

Jenn - I have to get 50% aggregate in my third year to be able to do the masters bit (year 4) - I'm not terribly confident of success, so I'm trying to work out what class of degree I'll get it if the results don't go my way tommorow :laugh:
oooh don't do that! you'll just get paranoid and nervous. go get drunk and enjoy your last day without a degree!

lou xxx
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
LOL to be honest I don't really care anymore, as long as I get between 46 and 50 tommorow then I'll get a 2:2. 40 to 46 will be a 3rd, 50 and above I'll go through to another year of hell :laugh:
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by KingsComp)
It depends from uni to uni AND from course to course. There are many universities where the first year doesnt count for anything where everything is split between years 2 and 3.

For Kings its something like:

1st Year: 11%
2nd Year: 33%
3rd Year: 56%

Also the way in which your final mark is calculated also varies from uni to uni and course to course. For the Physical Sciences and Engineering Department of Kings you can use this website to calculate it:

http://brahms.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~databas...Indicator.html
That calculator looks good. What range of numbers do we put in there?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.86%
No - but I will (100)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed