Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How Were You Supposed To Work It Out?
Head
Report 13 years ago
i did that but i didnt know how to find the angle. The one i couldnt do was the question with the string passing through the ring with friction acting on it (5 i think) and question 1.
fabz
Report 13 years ago
Question 5 was horrible!!! I seemed to do no working out and it was worth like 7 marks.

The angle on 4 wasn't too bad if you stuck the numbers in the mass of the particle cancelled out so you could find alpha!
zaaks786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yea
question 7 the last part....for 7 marks, eh!

but otherwise it was ok!
hellooooo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the 1st question was so hard..felt like crying in the exam. i didnt even realise that 'tension' simply meant the force that was pulling holding the particle in place. i thought tension was like acting inwards and opossing the force or something.

for question 4 i tried 2 draw a graph ang got u=0m/s which i know was wrong and a as 6.5 m/s? any1 else get those values?
rt6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Sorry, are we talking about the new M1 or the 'normal' M1?
gemm
Report 13 years ago
the normal M1
i also thought it was hard, but i managed to answer all the questions, i'm sooo glad that the particle moving down a slope wasn't that complicated, they made up for it with the ring and the srting question though!
i couldn't understand why i got the right answer even though i hadn't divided T by 2
simxp
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
For question 4, you had to use x = ut + 1/2 a t^2, applied firstly to P -> P+2, then to P -> P+8. This gave you 2 simultaneous equations with 'a' and 'u' as the unknowns, which you solve, to give u=1.5 and a=2.5.

The 'obvious' solution, using v^2 = u^2 + 2ax with your 'v' as the average speed in firstly the 2m gap and secondly the 6m gap wouldn't work and your 'x' as the midpoints wouldn't work, because the particle reaches it's average speed in the gaps before their midpoints. This method would give slightly wrong answers (around 1.4... and 2.4... I think, but I could be wrong).

For the value of alpha, you don't need to much around with mass: gravitational acceleration is 9.8, so the acceleration you worked out before = 9.8 sin alpha.

rt6: The paper number is 4728, if that helps. I'm not sure which spec it is, but since I'm doing C1-4 not P1-3, I assume it's 2005 spec.
daaavo
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gemm)
the normal M1
i also thought it was hard, but i managed to answer all the questions, i'm sooo glad that the particle moving down a slope wasn't that complicated, they made up for it with the ring and the srting question though!
i couldn't understand why i got the right answer even though i hadn't divided T by 2
sorry gem, we're talking about the new M1... unit 4728
gemm
Report 13 years ago
oh, oh well, i didn't even know that there was a new one !
wounder why they changed it
Head
Report 13 years ago
cos they asked the same questions for about the past 10 exams and we were the unlucky ones to get caught out by the change.
rt6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by simxp)
For question 4, you had to use x = ut + 1/2 a t^2, applied firstly to P -> P+2, then to P -> P+8. This gave you 2 simultaneous equations with 'a' and 'u' as the unknowns, which you solve, to give u=1.5 and a=2.5.

The 'obvious' solution, using v^2 = u^2 + 2ax with your 'v' as the average speed in firstly the 2m gap and secondly the 6m gap wouldn't work and your 'x' as the midpoints wouldn't work, because the particle reaches it's average speed in the gaps before their midpoints. This method would give slightly wrong answers (around 1.4... and 2.4... I think, but I could be wrong).

For the value of alpha, you don't need to much around with mass: gravitational acceleration is 9.8, so the acceleration you worked out before = 9.8 cos alpha.

rt6: The paper number is 4728, if that helps. I'm not sure which spec it is, but since I'm doing C1-4 not P1-3, I assume it's 2005 spec.
Oh I see, phew! For a second there I was wondering what question you were talking about :hmmmm:
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by simxp)
For the value of alpha, you don't need to much around with mass: gravitational acceleration is 9.8, so the acceleration you worked out before = 9.8 cos alpha.
force down the slope is 9.8msin (alpha) givng acceleration = 9.8sin (alpha)
Mr Laminator
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by simxp)

I did it a stupidly round about way, which basically involved writing down all the equations of motion for both sections of the journey, and doing about a page of algebra. I know I got 1.5 for one of them, can't remember whether it was u or a though, ahh well.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hellooooo)
the 1st question was so hard..felt like crying in the exam.
Same here, I just had that really low feeling- sort of depressed and hopeless. The moment I saw the first question I knew fate was around the corner.
Anyways, just came back from watching Batman! I feel much better now!
Euniceee
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by gordon2002)
Same here, I just had that really low feeling- sort of depressed and hopeless. The moment I saw the first question I knew fate was around the corner.
Anyways, just came back from watching Batman! I feel much better now!
I nearly cried out when I was halfway through the exam...nwayz it's over now nth we can do abt it..I went to play, chat and do sports w/my frds for like 4 hours.lol..=P..so exhausted now..
hellooooo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
k u kno for questions like question 4? if you get the first bit wrong (worth 7 marks) but do the correct method for the questions leading on, you can get error carried forward marks yeh? but is it true you still cant get the maximum no. of marks for the rest of the question because you worked out the first but wrong?

oo and do u think they will lower the grade boundaries this year? well..usually its 49/60 for an A but jan 05 paper was so hard that to get an A u nly had 2 get 42/60. hope that makes u feel better (to all the ppl hu r feelin down about this xam)
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by hellooooo)
oo and do u think they will lower the grade boundaries this year? well..usually its 49/60 for an A but jan 05 paper was so hard that to get an A u nly had 2 get 42/60. hope that makes u feel better (to all the ppl hu r feelin down about this xam)
I thought the paper was out of 72 marks? Wasn't it?
naystar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On the old syllabus all exams were out of 60 for raw marks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (164)
39.05%
No - but I will (22)
5.24%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.38%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (203)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed