The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
fakelad
Because Africa is full of black people

You see, this, this is why there is little point having a serious discussion about Africa on a forum chock full of immature people (including myself). Grade A trolls such as Rule Britannia are only too keen on showing both their ignorance and stupidity.

Africa's problems are simply what I like to call a perfect storm of desperation fuled by a number of factors.

First of all there was colonisation, the influx of European imperialism was only a detriment to the continent. The raping of resources withstanding, the attempt to make Africans adopt European culture was a colossal failure. The clashing of tribalism and european traditions such as religion often caused great rifts between those willing to accept and those refused to conform. The empires often divided nations according to what gave them geographical and economic advantages, hence. Africans, a very tribal people, were forced to share land often with those of entirely different ideologies and way of life. Nigeria is a good example, the Igbos of the east have often failed to integrate with the Northern Housa people who maintained a position of power upon Britains departure. They attempted a succession in the 60's (Biafran war) and failed, since then relations between the three major tribes in the country has been amicable at best. The conflicts of Rwanda, between Hutu's and Tutsi's, a conflict which has been in existence since the French distributed power and resources depending on which had the most European features.

I aint some west hater but lets not lie to ourselves and say that imperialism/colonisation was beneficial. The stupidity of such a notion is almost unmatched, if it was such a benefit, why is Africa still in such economic turmoil?

Secondly there is corruption, for years in Africa there has been in existence a culture of greed and unaccountability. Leaders have misappropriated funds for years, often to the detriment of their own people. Aid has been of little benefit, there have been a number of occasions where these funds have actually been used by military powers for the prolonging of genocides and conflicts. It has been widely suggested that a large chunk of the money donated during the Liva Aid phenomenon of 1985 may have actually been used by Ethiopia's Mengistu Haile Mariam a leader responsible for countless crimes against humanity and a regime of collectivisation which was every bit the equal in its radicalism of the policies Stalin pursued in Ukraine in the 1930s, where, as in Ethiopia, the result was inevitable: famine.

Then you have tribalism, a progenitor of my second point and only made worse with the first. Whilst not a phenomenon exclusive to Africa, it is one that Africans have been able to consistently employ to their detriment. Lest not we forget, Africans were selling and enslaving each other way before the Europeans or even the Arabs got there. Tribal conflict has resulted in war, genocides and military oppression. A cycle of stupidity which seems to continue to this day.

Then you have the media's so-called "afro-pessimism" which kinda calls to question this debate in the first place. As a nigerian and an individual who has traveled through Africa, things aren't quite as bad as the media makes it out to be. African's in the diaspora have criticized the BBC for years for their refusal to demonstrate any of the many examples of economic vibrancy in the continent: Ghana, Tunisia, South Africa, Angola and Botswana are example of countries who have experienced rapid economic growth. Corporate interests of the east have expanded majorly in the continent over the last decade and this is only set to increase. Globalisation has given Africa a new lease of life after years of exclusion and unfair treatment on the global economic stage.

To summarise, Africa has had a filthy past but things are certainly on the up, of course the media gives little indication of this. There are still problems however, the Sudanese conflict (which to be fair has lasted over half a century) and remnants of the Congolese civil war are challenges which the African Union must address. Economic stability and progress will come, but it will take time. Africa is a complex place with a number of different ethnicities, if scientists are to be believed even eastern Africans are said to have more in common with europeans than their western counterparts. Africa must take responsibility for its own destiny in order to succeed.

P.S: Rule Britannia please shut up, Zimbabwe's change from former Rhodesia, the departure of Ian Smith and Mugabe's takeover was followed by years of economic growth and social improvement. Its was his ill-thought land redistribution scheme (schemes which tend to never work as many southern american nations will be happy to tell you) which set in motion economic sanctions and exclusion via the IMF/world bank which in turn only made things worse for the people.
Reply 61
e-lover
How naive can you get?

Name me one resource that the west steals from Africa.

just one?

ok. minerals.
I think you can really split it into physical factors i.e. often bad terrain which is very dry (with notable exceptions, but those exceptions tend to perform better). Political i.e. corruption and dictatorial regimes which scare off investors, and AIDS.
AIDS is a massive problem, costing governments large amounts as well as diverting aid resources and seriously damaging entire economically active generations (it is most prevalent amongst the young adult age group).
.:excel4100%:.
I still don't think this can a strong enough factor as to why the African countries are less developed!

They're taking diamonds from South Africa but they build infrastructure and such. Also, there is a thing called 'external economies of scale' which means the benefits spill over to society so more private investors may start to put money down and more businesses can operate around the area that the western companies operate.

I answered why it's less developed earlier. I was just answering your question.

What have economies of scale got to with a country as a whole? That's very much a micro concept.
Reply 64
centuries of infighting before colonisation ****** it up to start with and then all the different periods of colonisation.

It was colonised by greece,rome,ottoman empire, british empire, other european empires etc. some middle eastern empires.

Rarely has africa been governed by africans and when it has it was either stuck on tribal warfare or totally corrupt like now.

However some african nations are developing where as some are doing nothing.

The countries that are getting worse are the problems, the countries that are developing are okay because they will one day be prosperous but some fo the sub saharan countries(not all) are failing to develop at all and are thus left in a state of **** holeness for ever.

Read a book by paul collier called "The Bottom Billion"

This explains a lot of the current problems surrounding africas development problems.

Cap doesn't help but it is in noway the cause.

The cause of africa's problems lie within africa not outside of it.
KiiNGofLONDON
I answered why it's less developed earlier. I was just answering your question.

What have economies of scale got to with a country as a whole? That's very much a micro concept.

lol i was going off a bit talking about firms seeing as they do make up the economy's GDP and your comment about them using Africa's natural resources

I never asked a question :confused:
Reply 66
Libtolu
centuries of infighting before colonisation ****** it up to start with and then all the different periods of colonisation.

It was colonised by greece,rome,ottoman empire, british empire, other european empires etc. some middle eastern empires.

Rarely has africa been governed by africans and when it has it was either stuck on tribal warfare or totally corrupt like now.

However some african nations are developing where as some are doing nothing.

The countries that are getting worse are the problems, the countries that are developing are okay because they will one day be prosperous but some fo the sub saharan countries(not all) are failing to develop at all and are thus left in a state of **** holeness for ever.

Read a book by paul collier called "The Bottom Billion"

This explains a lot of the current problems surrounding africas development problems.

Cap doesn't help but it is in noway the cause.

The cause of africa's problems lie within africa not outside of it.

African Empires + Look it up = Success :smile:

Where did this ridiculous idea come that African had never been able to govern themselves. Please research before saying such things as these statements only make you look ill-informed and hence give your points less validity.
Reply 67
Rule Britannia
Would you like to explain why these are not issues in places like Singapore and Hong Kong?

Answers on a post card.

sure:

At the end of the Korean war, South Korea was poorer than Sudan.

Between 1963 and 1972 its manufacturing sector grew by 18.3% per year (!) - the fastest since records began.

In similar circumstances, growth in sub Saharan Africa fell from 36% in 1980 to -15% in 1998 - and as a direct result the number of people living on less than a dollar a day increased by 60million.

Why?

Because the IMF and WTO force Africa in a free trade agreement with the US and Europe - leaving them open to being constantly exploited by greedy, remorseless MNCs who take over local companies and export all the raw materials back to the US, playing the locals peanuts.

Japan, Korea and Taiwan refused this agreement, and operated a protectionist market - as a result they are amongst the rich, most developed and least poverty stricken countries in the world today.

Two cool, unrelated facts:

Did you know: between 1980 and 1996, the nations of Sub-Saharan Africa paid TWICE THE TOTAL SUM of their entire debt in interest, and still ended up owing the west more than they started with. Even if they spent every penny of this years GDP on repaying the debt - they would still be more in debt next year than they are now. That is how ludicrous this situation is.

The US pays $352 billion dollars - over 6 times the amount it gives to Africa in aid - to its OWN farmers - specifically so that they can undercut their Africa competition - and as a direct result keeps over 100 million Africans in poverty. Aid is a complete sham. They throw them a penny with a smile on their face, and steal £40 out of their back pocket.
py0alb
sure:

At the end of the Korean war, South Korea was poorer than Sudan.

Between 1963 and 1972 its manufacturing sector grew by 18.3% per year (!) - the fastest since records began.

In similar circumstances, growth in sub Saharan Africa fell from 36% in 1980 to -15% in 1998 - and as a direct result the number of people living on less than a dollar a day increased by 60million.

Why?

Because the IMF and WTO force Africa in a free trade agreement with the US and Europe - leaving them open to being constantly exploited by greedy, remorseless MNCs who take over local companies and export all the raw materials back to the US, playing the locals peanuts.

Japan, Korea and Taiwan refused this agreement, and operated a protectionist market - as a result they are amongst the rich, most developed and least poverty stricken countries in the world today.

Two cool, unrelated facts:

Did you know: between 1980 and 1996, the nations of Sub-Saharan Africa paid TWICE THE TOTAL SUM of their entire debt in interest, and still ended up owing the west more than they started with. Even if they spent every penny of this years GDP on repaying the debt - they would still be more in debt next year than they are now. That is how ludicrous this situation is.

The US pays $352 billion dollars - over 6 times the amount it gives to Africa in aid - to its OWN farmers - specifically so that they can undercut their Africa competition - and as a direct result keeps over 100 million Africans in poverty. Aid is a complete sham. They throw them a penny with a smile on their face, and steal £40 out of their back pocket.

Those facts are amazing.....link?
Reply 69

I've heard similiar from someone else.
Reply 70

Chang, 1994, "ThePolitical Economy of Industrial Policy", MacMillan.

OECD, 2000, "Agricultural Policies in OECD Countries: Monitoring and Evaluation" OECD.
Reply 71
Bishamon
I've heard similiar from someone else.

They can all be found in Monbiot's seminal "Manifesto for a New World Order" along with about a thousand more well researched and frankly jaw dropping facts.

If you only read one book in the next year...
Reply 72
THe last few posts have been a good read and has taught me a lot.
Reply 73
KiiNGofLONDON
'Not sufficient' is the exact meaning I wanted. I did not, however, mean 'not enough'.

As much as I'd like to debate the difference between not enough and not sufficient I have better things to do.

KiiNGofLONDON

If you want to negate a fact, backed up by economic theory and application in a book written by one of the leading experts in Development Economics targeting Africa, then fine, but to do so without even having read the book is not going to get you very far...

Very far in what? I'm not particularly interested in economic theory, so your suggestion that I should go out and but a book on it is quite silly.

KiiNGofLONDON

What did you think I meant? Accumulation of foreign resources? It was evident.

So inadequate resources means bad resource distribution?
Someone mentioned earlier about Africa's debts, my understanding was that most countries' (if not all) debts had been totally written off by the G8 summit a few years ago?

I think it can be summed up as "extremely poor management and massive corruption". How many billions of pounds must have been pumped into that continent over the past few decades? And yet we see no progress. Throwing aid and money at it isn't the answer anymore. The ethos of the African leaders needs an entire overhaul. All we have done by giving them aid is made them dependant, with no "incentive" (that is the wrong word, but for example, farmers don't farm anymore because people can get the food for free from aid packages) to rebuild their own country. We have to help them, but we cannot help them if they won't/can't help themselves.
Lil Piranha
Someone mentioned earlier about Africa's debts, my understanding was that most countries' (if not all) debts had been totally written off by the G8 summit a few years ago?

I think it can be summed up as "extremely poor management and massive corruption". How many billions of pounds must have been pumped into that continent over the past few decades? And yet we see no progress. Throwing aid and money at it isn't the answer anymore. The ethos of the African leaders needs an entire overhaul. All we have done by giving them aid is made them dependant, with no "incentive" (that is the wrong word, but for example, farmers don't farm anymore because people can get the food for free from aid packages) to rebuild their own country. We have to help them, but we cannot help them if they won't/can't help themselves.

The debt wasnt wiped of by the way, people just wanted it to be. Its not that they dont want to help themselves there are many leaders there who want it to improve their countries but you also have understand that the west is probably their biggest obstacle in this, institutions like the IMF make things so bad for some countries in AFRICA with their 'egos'. You also have to see the unfairness the west imposes on AFRICA, things like opening of trade barriers or having them reduce production so the world is a greener place.
Reply 76
Bishamon
African Empires + Look it up = Success :smile:

Where did this ridiculous idea come that African had never been able to govern themselves. Please research before saying such things as these statements only make you look ill-informed and hence give your points less validity.

By africa i'm talking about sub saharan africa.

And i was saying thaqt africa has been colonisaed for huge amounts of their history and in recent times have not been doing fine.

happy and if you tell me the african empires you were talking about i will review them thank you.
Reply 77
Lil Piranha

You simply cant trivialise complex economic issues so candidly as there are so many underlying factors which must be considered. Why dont you actually do some research?

However, seeing as most people probably wont I'll do it for you:

At the 2008 G8 meeting it was agreed to increase aid to Africa for food security and agricultural development from an earlier figure of $15 billion to $20 billion.

A summary judgement of the G8 Summit must be that against the multiple crises the world is currently facing, the outcome of the discussions was a whimper, a puny response to an acknowledgement of the magnitude of the challenge. It is not surprising, then, that the world media largely hyped up the promise of $20 billion for there was very little else that was on show.

So the question is: how significant is the promise of $20 billion?

To properly appreciate the significance of the $20 billion envelope, let us put the facts and a proper perspective to it.

First, it is just a promise. Promises have been known to remain just that – promises. Second, if past experience is any guide, the money is not likely to be ‘new’ money, but recycled from previous unfulfilled commitments. Third, the $20 billion package is for three years; about $7 billion per year. This is to be shared between 53 African countries, an average of about US$132 million per country.

Compare this with the following:

Between 1990 and 2003, African countries had received US$540 billion in loans and had paid back US$580 billion in debt and service charges (US$40 billion more than what they had received), and yet by the end of 2003 US$330 billion debt had still remained to pay.

In 2003 alone African countries had paid over US$25 billion in debt servicing while 2.3 million lives were lost lives because of HIV/AIDS. Many of them spent more per capita on debt servicing than on health care. For example, in 2002 the Democratic Republic of Congo – where 1.1 million people live with HIV/AIDS – spent more than four dollars on external debt servicing for every dollar spent on health care. And in the same year Angola had paid out US$106 per capita in debt servicing compared to US$38 per capita on health. Compare this also with the ‘promise’ made by G8 at the 31st G8 Summit of July 2005 at Gleneagles. The issue that got most media hype on that occasion was debt cancellation – to write off the entire US$40 billion debt owed by 18 Highly Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) to the World Bank (WB), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the African Development Bank (ADB). Four years down the line, a more sober assessment exposes the scenario of ‘business as usual’. What are the facts about the much-touted debt cancellation and the ‘road to recovery’ for Africa?

The US$40 billion debt write-off applied only to 18 HIPCs. How were they identified, and who selected them? Africa itself had no say in this. They were selected by the ``donor community'’, not by any agency of Africa, such as the African Union. On what criteria were they selected? These 18 countries were identified as those that had faithfully followed the IMF/WB strictures on structural adjustment programmes (SAP – policy prescriptions that demanded pro-cyclical, deflationary, measures from these countries). The G8 stated that 20 more countries, with an additional US$15 billion in debt, would be eligible for debt relief on condition that they met targets on fighting corruption and continued to fulfil SAP conditionalities and provided they eliminated impediments to foreign private investments in their countries.

Since the debt cancellation only referred to multilateral institutions, the crippling bilateral official and corporate debts of Africa still remained intact. So what did the G8 achieve at the Gleneagles summit? As far as Africa is concerned, very little. In fact, it was "business worse than usual''. Why? Because of two reasons:

The debt write-off managed to tone down, to neutralise, the pressure from African civil society on their governments to unilaterally repudiate those debts that were illegitimate or odious – a technical concept recognised in international legal practice.

Furthermore, it triggered fresh false illusions in and about Africa. Some people concluded that this was going to be the turning point for Africa. With debts written off, Africa was expected now, finally, to get down to using its resources to develop the economy and look after the welfare of the African people without the crippling debt burden.

Africa must realise that neither the G8 or the west in general are there to help them. Humanity is locked in a ruthless battle for power, influence and resources so people will be willing to take the piss when they can. I will agree that things will only change once Africans helps themselves. But lets not make out as if Africa is benefiting from western aid because, quite clearly, it is not.
Reply 78
Libtolu
By africa i'm talking about sub saharan africa.

And i was saying thaqt africa has been colonisaed for huge amounts of their history and in recent times have not been doing fine.

happy and if you tell me the african empires you were talking about i will review them thank you.

:rolleyes:

Oh boy, its called research genius lol. The internet would be a far better place if people used for something other than porn and trolling:

Sahelian kingdoms
The Sahelian kingdoms were a series of medieval empires centred on the sahel, the area of grasslands south of the Sahara.
The Nok Civilization is considered to be one of the most advanced ancient sub-Saharan civilizations in African history. Beginning some time around 500 BCE, it was largely concentrated in what is now Nigeria but produced some of the first sub-Saharan iron smelting and terracotta architecture. Mysteriously died out around 200 CE.
The first major state to rise in this region was the Kingdom of Ghana. Centered in what is today Senegal and Mauritania, it was the first to benefit from the introduction of pack animals by Arab traders. Ghana dominated the region between about 750 and 1078. Smaller states in the region at this time included Takrur to the west, the Malinke kingdom of Mali to the south, and the Songhai Empire centred around Gao to the east.
When Ghana collapsed in the face of invasion from the Almoravids, a series of brief kingdoms followed, notably that of the Sosso; after 1235, the Mali Empire rose to dominate the region. Located on the Niger River to the west of Ghana in what is today Niger and Mali, it reached its peak in the 1350s, but had lost control of a number of vassal states by 1400.
The most powerful of these states was the Songhai Empire, which expanded rapidly beginning with king Sonni Ali in the 1460s. By 1500, it had risen to stretch from Cameroon to the Maghreb, the largest state in African history. It too was quite short-lived and collapsed in 1591 as a result of Moroccan musketry.
Far to the east, on Lake Chad, the state of Kanem-Bornu, founded as Kanem in the 800s, now rose to greater preeminence in the central Sahel region. To their west, the loosely united Hausa city-states became dominant. These two states coexisted uneasily, but were quite stable.
In 1810 the Fulani Empire rose and conquered the Hausa, creating a more centralized state. It and Kanem-Bornu would continue to exist until the arrival of Europeans, when both states would fall and the region would be divided between France and Great Britain.
Wolof Empire (1350 AD - 1889 AD)

Ethiopian Empire
The Ethiopian Empire existed from approximately 1270 (beginning of Solomonid Dynasty) until 1974 when the monarchy was overthrown in a coup d'etat. It was the only native African nation to successfully resist the Scramble for Africa by the colonial powers during the 19th century.

Empires of Transition Age Africa
From the 15th century until the final Scramble for Africa in the late 19th century, a number of empires emerge also south of the Sahel, especially in West Africa, prospering on the Transatlantic slave trade of the period.

West Africa

The Kingdom of Nri (1043 - 1911) was the West African medieval state of the Nri-Igbo, a subgroup of the Igbo people, and is the oldest kingdom in Nigeria. The Kingdom of Nri was unusual in the history of world government in that its leader exercised no military power over his subjects. The kingdom existed as a sphere of religious and political influence over much of Igboland, and was administered by a priest-king called the eze Nri. The eze Nri managed trade and diplomacy on behalf of the Igbo people, and was the possessor of divine authority in religious matters.
The Oyo Empire (1400 AD - 1895 AD) was a West African empire of what is today western Nigeria. The empire was established by the Yoruba in the 15th century and grew to become one of the largest West African states encountered by colonial explorers. It rose to preeminence through wealth gained from trade and its possession of a powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-17th to the late 18th century, holding sway not only over other Yoruba states, but also over the Fon kingdom of Dahomey (located in the state now known as the Republic of Benin).
Benin Empire (1440 AD - 1897 AD), a large pre-colonial African state of modern Nigeria.
Kaabu Empire (1537 AD - 1867 AD), a Mandinka Kingdom of Senegambia (centered on modern northeastern Guinea-Bissau but extending into Casamance, Senegal) that rose to prominence in the region thanks to its origins as a former province of the Mali Empire. After the decline of the Mali Empire, Kaabu became an independent kingdom.
Aro Confederacy (1690 AD - 1902 AD), a slave trading political union orchestrated by the Igbo subgroup, the Aro people, centered in Arochukwu in present day Southeastern Nigeria.
Asante Union (1701 AD - 1894 AD), a pre-colonial West African state of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana. The empire stretched from central Ghana to present day Togo and Cote d' Ivoire, bordered by the Dagomba kingdom to the north and Dahomey to the east. Today, the Ashanti monarchy continues as one of the constitutionally-protected, sub-national traditional states within the Republic of Ghana.
Kong Empire (1710 AD - 1894 AD) centered in north eastern Cote d'Ivoire that also encompassed much of present-day Burkina Faso.
Bamana Empire (1712 AD - 1896 AD) based at Ségou, now in Mali. It was ruled by the Kulubali or Coulibaly dynasty established circa 1640 by Fa Sine also known as Biton-si-u. The empire existed as a centralized state from 1712 to the 1861 invasion of Toucouleur conqueror El Hadj Umar Tall.
Sokoto Caliphate (1804 AD - 1903 AD), an Islamic empire in Nigeria, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’adu Abubakar. Founded during the Fulani Jihad in the early 1800s, it was one of the most powerful empires in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European conquest and colonization. The caliphate remained extant through the colonial period and afterwards, though with reduced power.

East Africa

The Sennar Sultanate (1502 AD - 1821 AD) was a sultanate in the north of Sudan, named Funj after the ethnic group of its dynasty or Sinnar (or Sennar) after its capital, which ruled a substantial area of northeast Africa.
The Adal Sultanate (1415 AD - 1555 AD)was a province-cum-sultanate located in present-day northwestern Somalia, southern Djibouti, and the Somali, Oromia, and Afar regions of Ethiopia. Prior to its invasion of Ethiopia under Ahmad ibn Ibrihim al-Ghazi in 1527, it was a province of the Solomonic dynasty of Ethiopia. At its height, the sultanate controlled large portions of Ethiopia and Somaliland.
An Empire of Kitara in the area of the Great Lakes of Africa has long been treated as a historical entity, but is now mostly considered an unhistorical narrative created as a response to the dawn of rule under the Lwo empire, the sole historical record of an organized Nilotic migration into the area.[1]

Kongo
The Kongo Kingdom (1400 AD - 1888 AD) was a quasi-imperial state as is evident by the number of peoples and kingdoms that paid it tribute. If not for the large amount of text written by the EssiKongo that repeatedly called themselves a kingdom, they would be listed as the "Kongo Empire".
The Luba Empire (1585 AD - 1885 AD) arose in the marshy grasslands of the Upemba Depression in what is now southern Democratic Republic of Congo.
Lunda Empire (1660 AD - 1887 AD) in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo, north-eastern Angola and northwestern Zambia. Its central state was in Katanga.
Reply 79
Bishamon
:rolleyes:

Oh boy, its called research genius lol. The internet would be a far better place if people used for something other than porn and trolling:

Sahelian kingdoms
The Sahelian kingdoms were a series of medieval empires centred on the sahel, the area of grasslands south of the Sahara.
The Nok Civilization is considered to be one of the most advanced ancient sub-Saharan civilizations in African history. Beginning some time around 500 BCE, it was largely concentrated in what is now Nigeria but produced some of the first sub-Saharan iron smelting and terracotta architecture. Mysteriously died out around 200 CE.
The first major state to rise in this region was the Kingdom of Ghana. Centered in what is today Senegal and Mauritania, it was the first to benefit from the introduction of pack animals by Arab traders. Ghana dominated the region between about 750 and 1078. Smaller states in the region at this time included Takrur to the west, the Malinke kingdom of Mali to the south, and the Songhai Empire centred around Gao to the east.
When Ghana collapsed in the face of invasion from the Almoravids, a series of brief kingdoms followed, notably that of the Sosso; after 1235, the Mali Empire rose to dominate the region. Located on the Niger River to the west of Ghana in what is today Niger and Mali, it reached its peak in the 1350s, but had lost control of a number of vassal states by 1400.
The most powerful of these states was the Songhai Empire, which expanded rapidly beginning with king Sonni Ali in the 1460s. By 1500, it had risen to stretch from Cameroon to the Maghreb, the largest state in African history. It too was quite short-lived and collapsed in 1591 as a result of Moroccan musketry.
Far to the east, on Lake Chad, the state of Kanem-Bornu, founded as Kanem in the 800s, now rose to greater preeminence in the central Sahel region. To their west, the loosely united Hausa city-states became dominant. These two states coexisted uneasily, but were quite stable.
In 1810 the Fulani Empire rose and conquered the Hausa, creating a more centralized state. It and Kanem-Bornu would continue to exist until the arrival of Europeans, when both states would fall and the region would be divided between France and Great Britain.
Wolof Empire (1350 AD - 1889 AD)

Ethiopian Empire
The Ethiopian Empire existed from approximately 1270 (beginning of Solomonid Dynasty) until 1974 when the monarchy was overthrown in a coup d'etat. It was the only native African nation to successfully resist the Scramble for Africa by the colonial powers during the 19th century.

Empires of Transition Age Africa
From the 15th century until the final Scramble for Africa in the late 19th century, a number of empires emerge also south of the Sahel, especially in West Africa, prospering on the Transatlantic slave trade of the period.

West Africa

The Kingdom of Nri (1043 - 1911) was the West African medieval state of the Nri-Igbo, a subgroup of the Igbo people, and is the oldest kingdom in Nigeria. The Kingdom of Nri was unusual in the history of world government in that its leader exercised no military power over his subjects. The kingdom existed as a sphere of religious and political influence over much of Igboland, and was administered by a priest-king called the eze Nri. The eze Nri managed trade and diplomacy on behalf of the Igbo people, and was the possessor of divine authority in religious matters.
The Oyo Empire (1400 AD - 1895 AD) was a West African empire of what is today western Nigeria. The empire was established by the Yoruba in the 15th century and grew to become one of the largest West African states encountered by colonial explorers. It rose to preeminence through wealth gained from trade and its possession of a powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-17th to the late 18th century, holding sway not only over other Yoruba states, but also over the Fon kingdom of Dahomey (located in the state now known as the Republic of Benin).
Benin Empire (1440 AD - 1897 AD), a large pre-colonial African state of modern Nigeria.
Kaabu Empire (1537 AD - 1867 AD), a Mandinka Kingdom of Senegambia (centered on modern northeastern Guinea-Bissau but extending into Casamance, Senegal) that rose to prominence in the region thanks to its origins as a former province of the Mali Empire. After the decline of the Mali Empire, Kaabu became an independent kingdom.
Aro Confederacy (1690 AD - 1902 AD), a slave trading political union orchestrated by the Igbo subgroup, the Aro people, centered in Arochukwu in present day Southeastern Nigeria.
Asante Union (1701 AD - 1894 AD), a pre-colonial West African state of what is now the Ashanti Region in Ghana. The empire stretched from central Ghana to present day Togo and Cote d' Ivoire, bordered by the Dagomba kingdom to the north and Dahomey to the east. Today, the Ashanti monarchy continues as one of the constitutionally-protected, sub-national traditional states within the Republic of Ghana.
Kong Empire (1710 AD - 1894 AD) centered in north eastern Cote d'Ivoire that also encompassed much of present-day Burkina Faso.
Bamana Empire (1712 AD - 1896 AD) based at Ségou, now in Mali. It was ruled by the Kulubali or Coulibaly dynasty established circa 1640 by Fa Sine also known as Biton-si-u. The empire existed as a centralized state from 1712 to the 1861 invasion of Toucouleur conqueror El Hadj Umar Tall.
Sokoto Caliphate (1804 AD - 1903 AD), an Islamic empire in Nigeria, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’adu Abubakar. Founded during the Fulani Jihad in the early 1800s, it was one of the most powerful empires in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European conquest and colonization. The caliphate remained extant through the colonial period and afterwards, though with reduced power.

East Africa

The Sennar Sultanate (1502 AD - 1821 AD) was a sultanate in the north of Sudan, named Funj after the ethnic group of its dynasty or Sinnar (or Sennar) after its capital, which ruled a substantial area of northeast Africa.
The Adal Sultanate (1415 AD - 1555 AD)was a province-cum-sultanate located in present-day northwestern Somalia, southern Djibouti, and the Somali, Oromia, and Afar regions of Ethiopia. Prior to its invasion of Ethiopia under Ahmad ibn Ibrihim al-Ghazi in 1527, it was a province of the Solomonic dynasty of Ethiopia. At its height, the sultanate controlled large portions of Ethiopia and Somaliland.
An Empire of Kitara in the area of the Great Lakes of Africa has long been treated as a historical entity, but is now mostly considered an unhistorical narrative created as a response to the dawn of rule under the Lwo empire, the sole historical record of an organized Nilotic migration into the area.[1]

Kongo
The Kongo Kingdom (1400 AD - 1888 AD) was a quasi-imperial state as is evident by the number of peoples and kingdoms that paid it tribute. If not for the large amount of text written by the EssiKongo that repeatedly called themselves a kingdom, they would be listed as the "Kongo Empire".
The Luba Empire (1585 AD - 1885 AD) arose in the marshy grasslands of the Upemba Depression in what is now southern Democratic Republic of Congo.
Lunda Empire (1660 AD - 1887 AD) in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo, north-eastern Angola and northwestern Zambia. Its central state was in Katanga.

No offense but to me an empire is one that has a much greater impact on global history and actually has much bigger borders than the empires you've shown me.

However i take your point.

I do not however believe just giving africa more and more aid, in the end they will be completely dependant on aid.

They need some aid obviously but aid need to be delivered in a better way, how much of the money given to these antions ends up funding their armed forces?

Also i do think that over population is a big problem within africa but i definately think it is africa that needs to get itself together, obviously we can help(what good that has ever done) but eventually it comes down to within. the african people need to change.

Latest

Trending

Trending