Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having difficulties on loads of topics.

The main difficulties are on :
    -Applications of differentiation

I get all of this except how to sketch a graph? You may think i am dumb and i probably am but i get conflicting messages when reading through this book.

To sketch a graph you would solve f(x) ? To find values where it crosses x and y axis. Why in the book ( Edexcel) Do they use f '(x) to find out where it crosses the axis for increasing and decreasing functions.

I understand that to find the increasing/decreasing values you use f '(x) > or < 0
    But what i dont understand is the sketching of the graphs part . How comes they use the values that have been found for increasing/decreasing values.

My other problem ( BIGEST) is the trignometric functions topic.

I know the graphs , I know th C.A.S.T rule and the basis of the topic. But when it comes to solving the equations and finding values i often get stuck/wrong. Its really doing my head in so any advice on this . I would also be most greatful.

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    When solving a trig equation in a certain range, you....

First - Extend the range.

So, if it is sin(3x) = 0.5 0<=x<=360

Find all the values of sin that = 0.5 in the range 0<=x<=1080

Then divide all those answers by 3 and that's your values of x.

I never use that cast thing. Just remember the shapes of the graphs between 0 and 360°.

To find out where the graph crosses a co-ordinate axis, let either x or y = 0.

It may well be the case that they give you the gradient of the point where it crosses the axis. In which case, do dy/dx to get the value of x when the graph has that gradient then the co-ordinates are the x value you got and y would = 0 because you are crossing the x-axis.

Also, if you only have the co-ordinates of the points where it crosses the axes, how do you know which direction the graph is going it once it has gone through that point? You'd have to differentiate to see if it goes up or down.

Finally, a good sketch shows all the stationary points on the graph.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.