Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are these guys jokers or what? If they wanted a better job, shouldn't have applied to Royal Mail! What skills do they think they possess that a trained monkey couldn't do?

In summary, get on with it, you arent worth what you're asking for, or we'll replace you with eastern europeans at half the hourly rate!

ReputationRep:
    nice comfortable jobs that were once a piece of cake, now they're being asked to actually work for their wages they strike.

sack them all, anyone can stuff letters through a post box, or dump them in a skip when it's raining.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd. Privatise those mother-funkers!

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why they are upset. If the Royal Mail didn't have competition it would all be good. Screw the EU

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

I suppose they are bitter about not having one up on bus drivers as they can't spread their misery to the world on a daily basis.

But yeah, by refusing to deliver mail they are harming the people more than the government. Mindless anger much? ^^

A pox on Royal Mail.

Are they going to refund the cost of postage stamps that people have paid to have their mail undelivered?

The whole system will eventually be obsolete anyway before too long as people increasingly rely on email for correspondence...and parcels are routinely delivered by private courier too.

Anyone to defend the workers here, or are we all so self-centred that we have ceased to care about our fellow workers and the impact of management decisions on their future lives?

Let's have a bit of balance please.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FallenPetal)
    But yeah, by refusing to deliver mail they are harming the people more than the government. Mindless anger much? ^^
    Exactly. Any sympathy I have is removed by my mail not turning up/getting where its supposed to be. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 active threads on this already. Search function!!

Thank God for e-mail, so it rarely actually changes my life in anyway. All it means is that a t-shirt I ordered online is taking ages to get to me.

There is increasingly less reason to pay them more, because firstly e-mails are far more simple to use, and secondly its work that could be done by the private rather than public sector. In fact I don't really understand why taxpayers money still goes towards it at all - in a fully privatised model with competition workers would actually do their job because otherwise their competition would put them out of business by getting all the customers. I actually think this is a case of the lefties acting like conservatives and just being scared of change.

This is a thread specifically for those who engage in rigorous debate and discussion and the fact that there might be active threads elsewhere on forums outside of D&D is neither here nor there...D&D is unique on TSR!

Anyway, to allow the debate to continue in an informed and intelligent manner as is the expected standard in this forum, I am copying the latest information from the CWU website that gives their side of the conflict. Anyone is free to post information and comment from the Royal Mail management as there is always two sides to a conflict and it's best if we can see both so as to arrive at a considered opinion.

Try to rise above your own inconveniences suffered and approach it in a pragmatic manner, please.

8th October 2009
    Yes Vote Shows Royal Mail is Failing
    The Communication Workers Union today (Thursday 8th October) can report a yes vote in the national ballot for strike action in Royal Mail. Postal workers voted by 76 per cent in favour in favour of strike action.

Background issues
    The scale of change planned by Royal Mail is frightening and unprecedented. The postal industry, along with the workplaces and jobs of our members, could be unrecognisable.
    Royal Mail is rolling out those changes with little or no concern for the views or interests of our members, the hard-working postal staff who deliver to every address in the UK year-round. Worse still, we have seen an alarming rise in bullying and harassment cases with managers using the flimsiest of reasons to sack postal workers with long service.

Change necessary
    The CWU has offered a three-month no-strike deal in return for negotiations and a suspension of the current changes which are forcing postal workers into industrial action. Change is a reality with modernisation of the company. The combined challenge of competition, pensions and the need to adapt to a rapidly changing world of communications makes change necessary. Royal Mail's current approach clearly isn't working so we're seeking intensive talks to establish a national agreement that will pave the way for rolling out the change that the company desperately needs.

What we are for: Fairness
    · A new job security agreement - reflecting the sheers scale of change our members face. Sustainable full-time jobs, no compulsory redundancies, maximising choice over the future.
    · Benefit from change - modern and enhanced terms and conditions. Higher pay, shorter working week, better attendance patterns providing more quality time away from work, including weekends.· A better local working environment - work systems that ensure daily workload is based on fair and objective measurement so that postal workers can cope. Staff and CWU having a genuine say over how the job should be done.
    What we are against: Unfairness
    · Royal Mail imposing change by diktat - not honouring national agreements leading to a part-time industry and compulsory redundancies.
    · Royal Mail constantly driving down terms and conditions - not giving workers a real share in the savings that are being made or the benefits from automation. Continuous driving down of pay, earnings, pensions and conditions.
    · Royal Mail imposing unfair work rates to meet unrealistic local budget demands - chaos management creating workloads that people cannot cope with. A bullying managerial culture.
    I understand that last ditch attempts of reaching a compromise broke down this morning.

ReputationRep:
    the last time they went on strike it lasted one day apart from in liverpool where it went on for two months. Thanks to that my confirmation slip for EMA got stuck in the post and I had to go to appeal to have my payments backdated.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.