Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone take this? What did you think? I thought it was a pretty reasonable paper but wasn't impressed by the way they made it easier ("by taking moments about A on AB and moments about C on BC") We got 5 extra minutes because the fire alarm went off near the end but I'd finished by then. Hope everyone found it ok ('specially posh_git ) xxx

ReputationRep:
    lol eeeek i integrated it wrong! the v dv dx question. i 4got that f= something v lol i still don't remember now. but obviously dind't need that part to integrate...but i divided by 2 instead of 3 i got -1050ln(something or other) instead of -700ln(something or other) lol im sure i failed! glad the simple pendulum came up : i thnk i got that all right: as with the motion in a vertical circle and half of the last bungee jump question. by the time i went to those questions my mind had become blank: couldn't think at all? so only got 7/14 possible marks for that bit. jointy rods thing i left till end: i managed to get Y as soemthing like 15.75N or seomthing that looked resonable but then left it lol. im so crap!!

but yeah. came home with a splitting headache and have been in bed until 10mins ago. i still feel really ill!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think I did okay... It looks like I got question 1 wrong, though. And that one with the two rods... I stored my answers in my calc, so I'll post them here:

1. This question was about a ball bouncing. I got 4.2 for the first bit and 0.27 for the second, which seems wildly different to everyone else in my year...

2. For the last bit, I got 0.054 radians - how far the angle went past A in a set time for an SHM pendulum.

3. This was the one about two balls colliding - I said B travelled at 2.54 m/s at 64.5 degrees to the horizontal.

4. This was the one with two rods. I had an answer of 65.8 N, at about 20 degrees - nearly everyone else got exactly 39 N, though. I think it varied depending on whether the force at B went up or down...

5. I said 29.7 m/s

6. 8.82 N for the tension at A. This was a mass on a string moving in a circle.

7. This was the bungee jumper question. I got the maximum acceleration as 22.9 m/s2 and the max. displacement as 30m.

Do my answers sound about right, or am I completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought that was a relitively easy paper and was well happy with it. Your answers look right apart from numbers 1 and 4.
    Heres my answers I think there mostly right

1i 4.2 m/s
    1ii 1.53N

2i Period = Pie
    2ii 0.054rads

3. 2.54 m/s at 25.5 degrees to vertical (same as 64.5 to horizontal)

4.39N exactly

5. 29.7 m/s

6i 2.8m/s
    6ii -24.5 m/ss
    6iii 8.82 N

7 Displacement 30m
    7v Max accelaration 22.9

ReputationRep:
    I hate seeing other people's answers! Thought I'd done ok but looks like most of my answers were wrong- I got the same as Imrealrealsexy for 1 and 2. For 3 I got very confused and ended up with the same speed at 90' to original direction which felt wrong but it was how my working came out. 4-same 39 exactly. 5 I got over a hundred Don't remember 6 and I remember not knowing what to do for the max acceleration at 7 and ended up putting down g. Meh. Didn't need to do that well anyway! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Annoying that the question I got wrong was an 8 marker - hopefully I'll pick up some method marks!

Several people in my year also got the same speed at 90 degrees to the original for Q3, though I think they changed it afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Showsni)
    Annoying that the question I got wrong was an 8 marker - hopefully I'll pick up some method marks!

Several people in my year also got the same speed at 90 degrees to the original for Q3, though I think they changed it afterwards.
    Yeah I'm hoping for method marks! I knew all the methods needed for most of the questions but I decided to say that the speed along the line on centres was unchanged instead of perpendicular to- that must have been where I went wrong! Very confused head going into that exam! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    I thought it was a pretty reasonable paper but wasn't impressed by the way they made it easier ("by taking moments about A on AB and moments about C on BC")
    Yeh, I agree, that question is therefore biased towards the less able candidates. I sat there thinking..."well great now everybody who can solve simultaneaous equations is going to get the 8 marks". And universities are worried about not being able to distinguish between candidates! They're telling us how to solve the problem!

ReputationRep:
    i remember something like 64.5 degrees to the horizontal for the 2 balls question. as for the one you had to integrate, i got like v=18256 the first time around....then realised that i forgot the cubed sign! lol! cube rooted it and it turned out like 26 ms-1. but as i said i had integrated it wrong hopefully will get some method marks!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.