Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been at uni 3 weeks and so far I'm not having a great time, I'm not enjoying student life, living away from home etc, I'm having real trouble making friends and there's a lot of hours spent doing stuff I don't like in the course (its not like I've really got any idea what I'm gonna do with the degree afterwards anyway). I know I need to give it more of a chance than 3 weeks (especially as the first one was pretty much just freshers week). But how long should I keep trying for? And how much money am I likely to lose if I do drop out?

ReputationRep:
    Lol uni isn't mainly about happy go lucky friends its about your education... If you don't like your course drop since you would be doing it for years otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    I know its about education but being miserable is going to make that experience a pretty rubbish one. How long do you think I should trying to course for, before I decide I really don't like it?

ReputationRep:
    Don't drop out, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
    Keep at it; it WILL improve and you'll be glad you stayed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Keep at it; it WILL improve and you'll be glad you stayed
    there must be a point where you have to say no its not going to improve. I know that point isn't now...but should I give it until Christmas? Less than that? or longer? Its just I dont want to spend 3 years of my life being miserable to get a degree that I dont know how I'm gonna use

ReputationRep:
    Give it a few months at least.

ReputationRep:
    And if you feel the degree isn't enjoyable or isn't gonna be useful to you, you could ask about getting transferred to another course

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it 6 weeks at least. I'd recommend until Christmas, and if you're still unhappy then, you can drop out in full confidence that you gave it a good go. I disagree that "you'll definitely regret it", if you're going to be miserable for three/four whole years, it's not always worth it.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a Student Loan, find out where the cut off point for payment is if you drop out. It will probably be just before Christmas. I would absolutely hang in there for at least another month. 3 weeks really isn't long at all.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with it till the end of term. By then you should've finished some of your modules and have exams around the corner and should be able to better gauge whether you're really doing the right thing. Three weeks is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    If you think the reasons are enough and a real reason for why it would be better to go next year, i'd say do it. But if it's just because you don't have many friends yet, then don't worry, i'm sure loads of people are also in that position. And you may enjoy other modules in the course once those introductory ones are finished

It cost me £300ish in tuition fees and £350 in rent.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.