Turn on thread page Beta

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

What has he actually done apart from not starting a war?

ReputationRep:
    Wicked.

I'm not entirely sure, but I feel it is deserved if premature. He has been such an inspirational figurehead for not only his country, but for the entire World - he has really been an unstoppable force that, while maybe being less effective in practical terms than was expected, has acted for a positive change in the Zeitgeist.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a incentive not to invade Iran now, obviously he wont wana come across as a hypocrite

ReputationRep:
    He has taken a divided nation, at war and known for its irrationality, and turned it into a nation which aspires to greater things. He has talked about closing Guantanamo and is doing so, and is known to want to repeal the StarWars programme. Considering how powerful the USA is, these are major steps for the world. He deserves it as he is trying to undo Bush's awful legacy.

ReputationRep:
    The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

Can't really argue!

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thought this was a joke thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emitothelee)

Give him credit, evidently, it's very hard to avoid starting a war when you are president of the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrassPioneer)
    He has taken a divided nation, at war and known for its irrationality, and turned it into a nation which aspires to greater things. He has talked about closing Guantanamo and is doing so, and is known to want to repeal the StarWars programme. Considering how powerful the USA is, these are major steps for the world. He deserves it as he is trying to undo Bush's awful legacy.
    Yeah but he's expanded illegal detention centres in Afghanistan and although he's scrapped the missiles in Poland, he's still keeping starwars.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I like Obama as a person, he hasn't done much to win this prize. He's still got heavy sanctions on Iran and hasn't ruled out a military attack and he's still fighting an endless war in Afghanistan. he's good but only relative to Bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emitothelee)

He has not done ****......they is shill conflict in the middle east.
    So many other people spent tirless years trying to bring peace., and done more than he is.

Why did not John major get the peace prize? Hes the one who started the ball roleing and made talks with the IRA.

(Original post by burningnun)

ReputationRep:
    But people believe that something is going to happen, or at least some of them do. Nobody did under Bush

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on twitter - Republicans are going absolutely differently-abled over this. Anything that pee's off illiterate rednecks is fine by me!

To people who say "I can't believe they gave Obama the Peace Prize", I say "I can't believe Fox News gave America George W Bush".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    Have a look on twitter - Republicans are going absolutely differently-abled over this. Anything that pee's off illiterate rednecks is fine by me!

To people who say "I can't believe they gave Obama the Peace Prize", I say "I can't believe Fox News gave America George W Bush".
    This is the kind of reasoning I like!

Of course I use the term "reasoning" in its broadest possible sense.

ReputationRep:
    well, he's a good guy...but how is it that he gets one without actually having done anything and there's people like ghandi who haven't got it?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Is this a joke?
    The BBC doesn't joke

ReputationRep:
    I was VERY :lolwut: about it at first when it came on BBC news just now, but watched the press conference with the committee bloke and it seemed to make sense. And after all, can't think of any other prominent figure who's doing much for the cause at the moment (though I may be wrong). I just hope he lives up to the title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I definitely thought it was a joke!

ReputationRep:
    I just thought - it's an ADVANCE Nobel for Obama. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Sarag Palin will almost certainly choke and die on their breakfast cereal when they hear about this, therefore, the world will be a better place!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.