The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Delta Usafa
But intervention was the way forward during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. They "****ed up the end game" with their Afghan policy after the Soviets pulled out.

Thye backed Islamic extremists to overthrow the Soviet freindly Government. What kind of regime did they think was going to take over regardless of wether they left or not?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/PollVault/story?id=1363276

Preferred doesn't necessarily mean enjoyed.

What the **** does that even mean? You think America was justified in it's invasion because of domestic unrest?

Being better off than their rivals doesn't necessarily mean they're all benefiting from it directly.

Why not? the Pastun are not in power anymore the Tajiks are.
When will the black hysteria die a death.
Reply 142
I think he's a great guy, but I don't think he should have got a Nobel Peace Prize. He's only been President for like 8 months, people like Mandela and Mother Teresa wait all their lives to recieve that prestige. I kind of feel that they're giving it to him because he's black, even he probably feels like that. He should have had to do something really great to get it.
I think he completely deserves his nobel peace prizzle. Always keeping it real. :gangster:
Aeolus
Thye backed Islamic extremists to overthrow the Soviet freindly Government. What kind of regime did they think was going to take over regardless of wether they left or not?

I don't think the regime is what they took issue with, it was the state we left the country in. The civil war continued after the Soviet withdrawal, and we left many fighters thinking that we didn't help them nearly enough.

What the **** does that even mean? You think America was justified in it's invasion because of domestic unrest?

No, you're perfectly aware why I think the invasion was justified. You're throwing out a red herring here, I'm simply talking about how the people did not support the Taliban, nor did they support Al Qaeda, and therefore they would have no problem turning on them in order to "fight evil."

Why not? the Pastun are not in power anymore the Tajiks are.

Perhaps. So why is it that according to the poll I posted earlier, the more Tajik controlled region (West) isn't overwhelmingly in favor of increasing foreign troop presence?
Reply 145
digitaltoast
Have a look on twitter - Republicans are going absolutely differently-abled over this. Anything that pee's off illiterate rednecks is fine by me!

To people who say "I can't believe they gave Obama the Peace Prize", I say "I can't believe Fox News gave America George W Bush".

This made me chuckle
Reply 146
Deadly Lightshade
This is a brilliant idea.

Every US President should be given a Nobel Prize at the start of their office, so they lose serious face if they try to then start a war. It can be like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

:yes:

It is all political bull. It also puts a great deal of pressure on him. He cannot decline it for making the Nobel Prize crowd look stupid but accepting it is difficult as he knows he has not earned it

I did not think there were many people on TSR who would actually understand the politics behind it. But then again you are a Politics student :p:
Reply 147
dancingshoes10
Congrats Obama, not all of us win an award just for doing our job!

:rofl:

He is probably thinking "Oh crap. Why are these Nobel peeps making life even more difficult for me?"
Reply 148
Delta Usafa
I don't think the regime is what they took issue with, it was the state we left the country in.

The USA were supporting the Mujahadeen. They were Islamic Extremists and hardline fundamentalists. Even if you had helped them secure the country, what kind of regime did you think it could be, other than what the Talibans was like?

No, you're perfectly aware why I think the invasion was justified. You're throwing out a red herring here, I'm simply talking about how the people did not support the Taliban, nor did they support Al Qaeda, and therefore they would have no problem turning on them in order to "fight evil."

What people? Pashtun? Hazara? Tajik? And how do you know these didn't support the Taliban?
Aeolus
The USA were supporting the Mujahadeen. They were Islamic Extremists and hardline fundamentalists. Even if you had helped them secure the country, what kind of regime did you think it could be, other than what the Talibans was like?

The Mujahadeen was not a single organized faction, so you can't really say the entire thing was made up solely of Islamic Extremists. It's the fact that the Mujahadeen wasn't unified that caused the civil war to continue after the USSR withdrew and the central government fell. The organization splintered, and there were less radical groups that we could have continued to support.

What people? Pashtun? Hazara? Tajik? And how do you know these didn't support the Taliban?

Well, there's the fact that a civil war was raging up until the invasion took place...

And I'm not simply talking about support for the Taliban, but Al Qaeda as well. Osama bin Laden isn't even Pashtun anyway, he is a Saudi. So I don't see why they couldn't have turned him over.
Reply 150
Delta Usafa
The Mujahadeen was not a single organized faction, so you can't really say the entire thing was made up solely of Islamic Extremists. It's the fact that the Mujahadeen wasn't unified that caused the civil war to continue after the USSR withdrew and the central government fell. The organization splintered, and there were less radical groups that we could have continued to support.

They were fighting a Jihad. Although they were not nearly as religously fundamental as the Taliban, they were still fightinga Government who had tried to implement Land reforms and womens rights. The USA was supporting Islamofascists. The reason the civil war constinued was because the heavily US equipped Tajik and Uzbek warlords used the arms and technology given them to take control of their rival Pashtun spiritual capital Kabul. The Pakistani backed Hekmatyr, who was a member of the Durrani, who had been shunned by the US during the invasion and was therefore less well equipped rallied the bickering Pashtun and instantly declared war. It was not a simple division.

Well, there's the fact that a civil war was raging up until the invasion took place...

A civil war in which the USA backed the hardline Islamic traditionalists against the progressive albeit questionable Peoplle democratic party of Afghanistan, who although had trade links and a military agreement with their neighbours the Soviet union were pushing for womens rights and education, secularism and land reform. The US's support of the Muj exposes their real aims quite spectacularly. This support is usually backed up with the same lesser of to evils justification used to excuse the many, many atrocities commited during the cold war and beyond.

And I'm not simply talking about support for the Taliban, but Al Qaeda as well. Osama bin Laden isn't even Pashtun anyway, he is a Saudi. So I don't see why they couldn't have turned him over.

The Taliban demanded (as by the Pashtun code) that the US provide evidence of Bin Ladens involvement and guilt. Instead of giving them evidence the USA just invaded with NATO. (although the US did have prior evidence for Bin Ladens involvement with the embassy bombings)

Latest

Trending

Trending