Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This seemed like the right sorta place to put this

Basically, trying to find an anniversary present for the bf, and I know he likes writing songs and things, but doesn't really have a way to record them other than a pretty low qual computer mic. So I was wondering if there was any kind of small recording gadget that would record say, voice and guitar to a reasonable quality and then create some kind of actual music track out of it :confused:

Doesn't need to be amazingly fancy, and I'm not looking at anything above about the ~£70 price mark. I've tried googling, but I'm not really sure what to google for!

Thanks in advance
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Accoustic guitar, I'm guessing?

TBH you're really not going to get anything good out of £70, a decent recording set can cost anywhere between £250 and £250,000. Best just find yourself a semi-decent microphone and associated cabling to wire it up to a PC for recording. Ideally you'd want a mic stand too, but really you need to maximise the amount you spend on the actual mic otherwise it's just going to sound terrible.

ReputationRep:
    A decent ~£100 dictaphone with detachable/external mic could do the job

Most moden ones can be imported onto a PC for editing and whatnot - and being a dictaphone, they're inherently portable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Accoustic guitar, I'm guessing?

TBH you're really not going to get anything good out of £70, a decent recording set can cost anywhere between £250 and £250,000. Best just find yourself a semi-decent microphone and associated cabling to wire it up to a PC for recording. Ideally you'd want a mic stand too, but really you need to maximise the amount you spend on the actual mic otherwise it's just going to sound terrible.
    He has an acoustic and an electric-acoustic so whether it needs plugging in or not isn't too much of an issue.

Hmm yeah the sort of things I'd found originally were professional REALLY expensive, I'd just thought there might've been something out there that did less for a lot less money :p: ah, thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Well, can he plug the electric-acoustic into his computer?

If so, then you can get a decent microphone and stand from Misco or similar for under £70 (you might also need an adapter so you can plug it into the pc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidR1991)
    A decent ~£100 dictaphone with detachable/external mic could do the job

Most moden ones can be imported onto a PC for editing and whatnot - and being a dictaphone, they're inherently portable
    Heh this isn't looking great price-wise, might have to give up

I've seen a few good looking dictaphones for reasonable prices with good reviews, and I've heard they're pretty good for vocal music recordings, it's just the guitar part I'm worried about cause I know instrumental sounds can come out a bit warped. Is the software for editing and stuff expensive? Don't feel I can just get him half the stuff to do it :o:

ReputationRep:
    You could use Audacity to edit it, which is free.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-POD-Stu...5091053&sr=8-4

This will help him.

It plugs in to the USB on your PC, and will let him plug his guitar (no mic input) directly in to his PC and record it. The sound quality will be much better than his 'crappy mic'. It'll also come with some modelling software so he can apply effects live and record them too. I use a similar product (The Line6 Toneport UX1 - it's about £80) for similar purposes. As a one-time quick, cheap recording solution, it's pretty good.

EDIT: This may be a better alternative. It has mic input and guitar inputs.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.