Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally make threads, or assist with campaigns but this one's got a lot of us talking. Most, if not all residents are going to lose £20 out of their deposits over an incident including foodstuffs and another flat. This cost is unfair and unjust as there's no way it would cost £26,000 "to clean up and repair damage". They are supposed to have CCTV on site to catch any crimes, so why can they not just charge those responsible, or is the CCTV another lie?

When I moved in my room was being used as a store cupboard, had not been cleaned and after nearly 6 weeks I am still missing furniture that is included in my contract yet are doing little about it. Only things I've had fixed so far is a light fitting and my drain unblocked because I went straight to the repair guys as reception were useless.

We pay a fortune for this place, if you live in Pavs please dispute the £20 otherwise they're just going to bend you over backwards with other charges if they know they can get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to make the assumption that Pavillions is managed by Mainstay Student - who are the biggest bunch of incompetent, lazy, and useless landlords I have ever had the misfortune to come across (in my opinion).

*checks* well it appears on their website, but there doesn't actually appear to be a part of their website for it - must be Mainstay then.

I really feel for you being fined for somebody else's screwing up You've got my backing even if I don't live there! It sounds completely ridiculous that they are fining everybody in the building for one flats' messiness...

<Begin rant about Mainstay (I put it in smaller text so it's easier to ignore if you want to :p:>
    The people in charge of Jennens Court (another Mainstay managed building, though brand new) are just a complete nightmare - You pay a hundred quid a week to have a temperamental water supply, security who don't answer their phones, no access to your post, a laundrette which spends half the time out of order, fixtures and fittings that literally fall apart (even though they're brand new), management who seem to think that despite having more than a month between the building being ready and people moving in it's okay to not provide all of the furniture (bins, mops, hoovers, etc.) until more than 5 weeks after everyone moves in, fire regulations broken (I have counted at least 3 times so far though 1 or 2 have been fixed), flooding (even though water is in scarce supply ), lifts that are slightly less reliable than an Austin All-Agro, and waste stored INSIDE for an entire week so you can't get in without nearly collapsing from the smell...
    <end rant>

Well that got a lot off my chest...shame it's in a public place but a) it's my opinion on them, b) we really have had all of those problems (although one or two are becoming sorted now), and c) they still intend on charging me full price, and I'm under no confidentiality clause, so I think it's only fair that people get told how bad this place is...I won't be updating this post as problems get fixed...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread

ReputationRep:
    It used to be mainstay/mezzino/whatever, but now taken over by campusdigs ( http://www.campusdigs.com/pavilions.php ) and it's still as disfunctional. When I first (back in 2005) moved into it as a fresher whenever it rained I had a shower... in my bed so I can understand all the pain you had. It's about time we stand up to poor management companies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    It used to be mainstay/mezzino/whatever, but now taken over by campusdigs ( http://www.campusdigs.com/pavilions.php ) and it's still as disfunctional. When I first (back in 2005) moved into it as a fresher whenever it rained I had a shower... in my bed so I can understand all the pain you had. It's about time we stand up to poor management companies!
    Oh right, I'm sure I saw it on the Mainstay site when I was looking last year...

Doesn't sounds like you've had the greatest of times there though But yeah, we really do need to sort these people out...but how!?

ReputationRep:
    What was the incident that resulted in every room having this charge?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently food was being used as projectiles through someone's open window. Even though they have everyone's photos on file and cctv cameras EVERYWHERE they couldn't pin down who it was so charged everyone £20 for the cleanup of the room.

Last night they dropped the charge because we managed to get so many people to complain, one of the receptionists let slip that they weren't going to apply it until the end of the year and this was just a threat, so a few residents "threatened" not to pay their rent if that's how management wanted to play it.

Deposits are there to cover actual damage, not to be used as a bargaining tool. If someone wants to take money from your deposit you're entitled to a full breakdown of costs. If they can't provide it they have no right to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Apparently food was being used as projectiles through someone's open window. Even though they have everyone's photos on file and cctv cameras EVERYWHERE they couldn't pin down who it was so charged everyone £20 for the cleanup of the room.

Last night they dropped the charge because we managed to get so many people to complain, one of the receptionists let slip that they weren't going to apply it until the end of the year and this was just a threat, so a few residents "threatened" not to pay their rent if that's how management wanted to play it.

Deposits are there to cover actual damage, not to be used as a bargaining tool. If someone wants to take money from your deposit you're entitled to a full breakdown of costs. If they can't provide it they have no right to take it.
    That's just disgusting

And hooray fore the charge getting dropped - they can hardly expect nobody to complain for being blamed for somebody elses stupidity!

Agree exactly with regard deposits - too many places unrealistically make unenforceable threats that they'll take money from deposits or "distribute costs" around all residents.

Highly amusingly, in our lifts there's a sign that states "any costs resulting from damage will be distributed to all residents" despite there being CCTV in every lift which would make it extremely easy to figure out who caused it, or at least make an educated guess as to where they were visiting (it's far more realistic to blame all of the residents on a floor or part of a floor for something in the shared areas of that floor, surely!?)

ReputationRep:
    oh god, ive been at home for reading week. when did this food missiles happen?

ReputationRep:
    2 Weeks Ago: 9th October 2009 10:29

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.