Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, there is a question that I'd like to seek help on how to tackle.

Given HCl(isotope 35) exhibits rotational absorption lines in the infrared at .....(a lot of wavenumber values),

(a) identify the transitions and use a GRAPHICAL procedure to determine the rotational and centrifugal distortion constants.
    - I managed to get the transitions.

- It is the graph I am unsure about. Atkins mention that taking centrigal distortion into account, the separation of lines should be given by

2B(J+1) - 4D(J+1)^3

I couldn't isolate to get a Y = mX + c graph, any ideas for me please? Thanks.

If you divide both sides by (J+1)3 you should get it into the y = mx + c form

i.e. \frac{\nu}{(J+1)^3} = \frac{2B}{(J+1)^2} - 4D with axis y = \frac{\nu}{(J+1)^3} and x = \frac{1}{(J+1)^2}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    If you divide both sides by (J+1)3 you should get it into the y = mx + c form

i.e. \frac{\nu}{(J+1)^3} = \frac{2B}{(J+1)^2} - 4D with axis y = \frac{\nu}{(J+1)^3} and x = \frac{1}{(J+1)^2}
    Thanks, EVS. I did divide by J+1 only to get a curve, didn't think I'd have to divide by (J+1)^3, hmm. Thanks again. Oh by the way, you happen to know any great book to read for molecular spectroscopy(physical)?

(Original post by shengoc)
    Thanks, EVS. I did divide by J+1 only to get a curve, didn't think I'd have to divide by (J+1)^3, hmm. Thanks again. Oh by the way, you happen to know any great book to read for molecular spectroscopy(physical)?
    Nah, the handouts for that part of my course were very good and so didn't warrant me needing to buy a specific text for that :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Probably the best book is Modern Spectroscopy by J. Michael Hollas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Try and get hold of a copy of Bernath. It's fantastic...I preferred it to Hollas.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 10, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.