Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in a dilemma, I'm not sure whether to take DT or Spanish for GCSE (this is Yr9 Options by the way). I like both subjects, more DT because I am a little bit arty, but my teacher suggested that I take two laguages and take Spanish.

Now, I just want to know from any who has done/is doing either DT or Spanish or both and what they think is a better choice. I heard DT is lots of work and I'm already taking Art so is that a good idea?

Oh and also my career path is leaning towards more Science stuff so either decision, I think, want affect my career choices later (I hope!)

Please help if you can

ReputationRep:
    hey DT what, Graphics or Resistant Materials, also what other language are you taking, if it is French, you'll be ok, if it German i would recommend taking Spanish , oh and welcome to TSR

ReputationRep:
    its a hard choice m8, but i would go with DT, i hav a m8 who does both of them, and he says DT is better and more useful in your life...anyway, if you is already doin French then chose DT.

ReputationRep:
    Well, personally I would take Spanish (are you okay at languages?). Spanish is definitely a more sought-after GCSE than DT (IMO) and learning two languages is definitely of benefit. Also remember that DT will probably involve a lot of coursework, where as Spanish will have minimal/none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Well, personally I would take Spanish (are you okay at languages?). Spanish is definitely a more sought-after GCSE than DT (IMO) and learning two languages is definitely of benefit. Also remember that DT will probably involve a lot of coursework, where as Spanish will have minimal/none.
    yeh thats very tru. DT is a lot of courswork

ReputationRep:
    All languages have coursework!!!, its 25% of the final grade..
    you do reading 25%
    listening 25%
    speaking 25%
    and writing (coursework) 25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    hey DT what, Graphics or Resistant Materials, also what other language are you taking, if it is French, you'll be ok, if it German i would recommend taking Spanish , oh and welcome to TSR
    I think it's Graphics. And yeah I am taking French, but my teacher says it would be good take both French and Spanish.

So would you say DT is the better choice?

And thank you for the welcome

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is probably more worthwhile but only do it if youre good at languages as its very hard work to do 2 languages.....i kept speaking in the wrong language when i did 2 and that was only for one year. If your good then do it otherwise do DT as its sort of relaxing as its less accademic and also its easier

ReputationRep:
    Which DT is it? (Electronics, Graphics, Resistant Materials, Food Technology, texiles, etc)? I would take DT, but thats my decision. (I'm not really good at languages, but my school wants everyone to take at least one langauge).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickC)
    Which DT is it? (Electronics, Graphics, Resistant Materials, Food Technology, texiles, etc)? I would take DT, but thats my decision. (I'm not really good at languages, but my school wants everyone to take at least one langauge).
    yeh take DT,lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool!!!)
    All languages have coursework!!!, its 25% of the final grade..
    you do reading 25%
    listening 25%
    speaking 25%
    and writing (coursework) 25%
    no you can do coursework or a writing test

ReputationRep:
    Legally you have to take at least one foreign language although i think that theyre thinking of getting rid of that in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    I took both DT (Resistant Materials) and Spanish at GCSE, I got an A* in both, but I always saw Spanish as the most relevant. To be honest, I only took DT so that I had a more creative option and wasn't writing essays solidly. If you're already doing Art, then Spanish would probably be a better option but it does depend on your aptitude for languages. If you find them relatively easy and think you'll do well in it then Spanish is a great choice. hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    In some schools (not mine though) foreign languages are non compulsory already.
    Take Spanish if you're good at it.
    My mates say DT is a doss.

ReputationRep:
    DT coursework is not very hard BUT it is a hell of a lot of work (if you want to do well in it). The theory for DT exams is also incredibly boring...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh thats very tru. DT is a lot of courswork
    tell me about it, although i only did 5 pages of A3 in two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus505)
    tell me about it, although i only did 5 pages of A3 in two years.
    Lol, well I'm okay with dealing with tht amount of DT coursework, I don't mind too much, but it's the exam that I have problems with. I'm pretty bad with DT exams.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're bad at DT exams, go for Spanish. DT exams were 60% of my total mark (I think).

ReputationRep:
    Coursework is 60% of your mark for DT.

BTW, I would personally take Spanish, even though I am not that good at it. The Electronics coursework we got lasted the full two years of the course, just about. So we hardly learnt any of the syllabus, so i had to guess every question on both of the exams

ReputationRep:
    DT is 60% coursework, so added to the huge amount of coursework for art, it might be a bit much, but it wouldn't be too bad if you enjoy practical things. If you're good at languages, Spanish would be less work and more beneficial, although GCSE subjects don't matter at all, so you can choose either and it won't affect anything like uni or jobs.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.