The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3440
Remarqable M
i predict questions on: thermoregulation, osmoregulation, singals and messages(e.g. outline the siginificance of the frequency of impusle transmission), cAMP, nature of hormones e.g. protein/steroid, regulation of blood glucose, regulation of insulin levels e.g. outline how insulin secretion is controlled, deamination, structure of liver, hairpin countercurrent mulitplier,calvin cycle, structure and function of mitochondria, krebs/link reaction and evidence for chemiomosis

are you suree? how do you know?
Bean_90
are you suree? how do you know?

ocr cannot ask questions outside the specification and looking at what they've already asked in the specimen and january paper i can say with confidence that questions based around these topics will come up:biggrin:
i did the same thing for F211 and F212 and 3/4(75%) of my predictions came true lol
Reply 3442
I perdicted a question on how dolphins have adapted as to avoid being put on a OCR biology paper.....
Reply 3443
Remarqable M
lol what happend to everyone? where are the questions?

Ha, lol u took the words right outta my mouth, buh i didnt bother quoting, so jus went for a break:P
Thanks Remarqable M, for heart rate help!
Don't really want to trawl through 3000 posts so could someone please summarise the pregnancy testing bit. Much obliged!
switchfive
Don't really want to trawl through 3000 posts so could someone please summarise the pregnancy testing bit. Much obliged!

pregnancy test? im pretty sure this was in F212 not f214:s-smilie:
its the urine sample thing. defo in this unit
Reply 3448
is this right about ADH and water potential?

when there is a low water potential in the blood, osmoreceptors in the hyptothalmus detects this and lose water by osmosis causing them to shrink. They then stimulate neurosecretory cells which send an action potential down its axon to the posterior pituitary gland which releases more ADH into the blood.

this ADH causes more aquaporins to appear in the walls of the collecting duct and the collecting duct becomes more permeable. more water leaves the collecting duct and into the blood by osmosis so more water is re absorbed. As a result less urine is produced and it is more concentrated.
chemiosmosis= the theory

oxidative phosphorylation= the process

am i right?
Ok. Water reabsorption:

From the PCT, Ions(Sodium and chloride) and water and urea flow down.

During the descent down the descending limb, water diffuses out, due to a very low tissue fluid potential. At the same time, ions diffuse into the descending limb?

This means that the descending limb has a high conc. or ions and urea, but little water.

At the base of the loop, ions diffuse out and then are actively transported out at the thick ascending limb BUT NOT WATER CAUSE ITS IMPERMEABLE(Musnt forget)?

This means that the "balance" is restored as ions have been taken out as well as water. This leave conc. urine/urea.

Then the DCT and collecting duct?
TX22
is this right about ADH and water potential?

when there is a low water potential in the blood, osmoreceptors in the hyptothalmus detects this and lose water by osmosis causing them to shrink. They then stimulate neurosecretory cells which send an action potential down its axon to the posterior pituitary gland which releases more ADH into the blood.

this ADH causes more aquaporins to appear in the walls of the collecting duct and the collecting duct becomes more permeable. more water leaves the collecting duct and into the blood by osmosis so more water is re absorbed. As a result less urine is produced and it is more concentrated.

sounds good:biggrin:
Chunkeymonkey62
Ok. Water reabsorption:

From the PCT, Ions(Sodium and chloride) and water and urea flow down.

During the descent down the descending limb, water diffuses out, due to a very low tissue fluid potential. At the same time, ions diffuse into the descending limb?

This means that the descending limb has a high conc. or ions and urea, but little water.

At the base of the loop, ions diffuse out and then are actively transported out at the thick ascending limb BUT NOT WATER CAUSE ITS IMPERMEABLE(Musnt forget)?

This means that the "balance" is restored as ions have been taken out as well as water. This leave conc. urine/urea.

Then the DCT and collecting duct?

good no need for question marks lol :p: :wink: nice i think you get it now:biggrin:
When water diffuses out of the descending limb, does it mix with the tissue fluid or is it absorbed by the capillaries?
Reply 3454
does anyone find the water absorption in the kidneys hard
Chunkeymonkey62
When water diffuses out of the descending limb, does it mix with the tissue fluid or is it absorbed by the capillaries?

it mixes up with the tissue fluid:wink:
Remarqable M
it mixes up with the tissue fluid:wink:

Thanks, You are a big help! :biggrin:

Also, the conc of the medulla increases as you go down the medulla, because:

less water is diffusing out by osmosis as you do down the descending limb, and easy diffusion of ions out of the ascending limb at the bottom, possibly allows more ions to leave, the the actively transporting of the ions at the top of the ascending limb?
Reply 3457
Chunkeymonkey62
Thanks, You are a big help! :biggrin:

Also, the conc of the medulla increases as you go down the medulla, because:

less water is diffusing out by osmosis as you do down the descending limb, and easy diffusion of ions out of the ascending limb at the bottom, possibly allows more ions to leave, the the actively transporting of the ions at the top of the ascending limb?

Descending Limb:
Water leaves the tubule by osmosis
ions enter by active transport from the tissue fluid
more negative water potential

Ascending Limb:
Impermeable to water - no water leaves
Ions diffuse out into the tissue fluid
less negative water potential

That's all really .
dontkillhannah
Non cylic is when photosystems 1 and 2 are involved, whereas cyclic only involves photosystem 1. For cylic photophosphorylation, the excited electrons (once they have gone through the electron transported thingymebob and generated the ATP) are passed back to the pigment. In contrast, in non-cyclic photophosphorylation, both photosystems are involved and will emit electrons, but this time PSI absorbs the electrons emitted from PSII to replace the ones it lost when it's hit by the light, and PSII regains the electrons it loses via the photolysis of water. The hydrogen ions also produced in the photolysis of water are used to reduce NADP to form reduced NADP, and the oxygen left is released as a waste product.

So the main differences are:
*Cyclic only uses PSI, whereas non-cyclic uses both
* The product of CPP is ATP, and the products of NCPP are ATP, reduced NADP and oxygen

So in what you said, you've got all the details of cyclic photophosphorylation spot on :smile:

I hope this helped

OMG Thanyou so muchhh your a life saver.. i actually understand it now :smile: yayyyyyyy!!!!! :biggrin:
switchfive

Pregnancy
A human embryo secrets human chorionic gonadotrophin (hGC) as soon as it is implanted on the
uterine lining. The hormone can be detected in the mother’s urine after as few as 6 days.
Pregnancy tests contain monoclonal antibodies which are tagged with a blue bead and bind only to hCG.
The hCG-antibody complex moves along the strip until it sticks to a band of immobilised antibodies, so
forms a blue line
One blue line is a control, so two means pregnancy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending