Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always been pro Europe for a pretty simple reason; it brings the people different nations together. The saying "together we stand divide we fall" springs to mind.
    However with all the recent bad press about Europe, I am beginning to wonder why we are even part of the EU. Is it due to free trade? If so Europe’s economies have surely become so dependant on each other that even if you left the EU free trade wouldn’t cease?
    The rejection of the EU constitution was a major blow for the entire EU; now we have all the budget problems on top of that. It just seems that the member states cannot come to agreement as no one is willing to make any major concessions (which is fair enough, why shouldn't member states look after their own interests).
    The French agriculture policy is just crazy, 40% of the EU's budget! (if my memory serves me correct). Britain is the second largest contributor to the EU after Germany, what benefits are there for the more developed nations being in the EU? I can see the appeal for nations such as Spain which have received a huge amount of funding to kick start their economies.
    The EU is great for human rights, but at the end of the day nations can easily intact these laws themselves. There have IMO been some silly laws, such as the one that limited that amount of hours people can work.
    Britain’s economy is moving in a different direction from that of most countries in Europe, from what I can gather I don't think that the European economic model would suit the UK.
    Where is Europe heading now? It has no constitution and they can't even agree on a budget, talk about a lack of unification.
    Can anyone respark my love for Europe?! One last question why does France hold so much weight in Europe, they don't even contribute that much to the budget?

ReputationRep:
    I just can't believe how much we are contributing compared to France and Germany, yet we get so little back.

Now Chirac is trying to bully us out of our just rebate too!

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    As I recall, the Germans pay twice as much as us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    As I recall, the Germans pay twice as much as us.
    Yeah from what i gather they have a even worse deal than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    France has more weight, because of bureaucracy in the EU system. EU as a political model wont work at all. Economically in terms of trade but economically as unification in order to create a political system rival to USA no.UK has completely different foreign policy compared to Germany or France. UK has completely different structure of economy that those of France and Germany. UK as a whole is different. All countries are different. There will be always arguments. There will be only unification, if economies of all countries were at the same growth rate, had same systems and same stuff. In fact UK had always a foreign policy of not willing for Europe to unite. UK was completely against Napoleonic and Hitler conquests, which both wanted to unite Europe. Hitler even didnt want a war with Uk.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are two broad possibilities for the EU in the future:

1. Carry on as it is - a troubled amalgamation of 25 (soon to be 27) vastly-different states, sharing little in common and unwilling to compromise realism for idealism; unwilling to pool sovereignty for anything more than economic policy; unwilling to stir up nationalist elements in the electorate; unwilling to put aside national interest because the other 24 members won't do the same; or;

2. A system of 'enhanced co-operation' and sub-groups; whereby you have a 'pic n mix' EU with members choosing what to be involved in, and what not to be.

Whichever way, it's hardly a 'union'.

ReputationRep:
    The ideals of European union are fanbloodytastic. The reality just isn't panning out - Johnny Foreigner is a self-serving chap who'll stab you in the back and take your wallet as soon as look at you. I am certainly not saying cut ourselves adrift, but we have to stop focusing on the EU as the be-all-and-end-all of British international involvement.

ReputationRep:
    EU constitution.....out of the window
    Eu summit......no budgetary argreement likely

All good news as I watch the value of the Euro sliding nicely. I can't wait till it hits $1.20/euro because rumor has it there's a big stop loss at this point......crash and burn baby burn....

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think UKs further involvement in EU will make it worse. UK is much better off alone, by having its own foreign policy. It is highly respectable in other countries and UK is considered as quite influential global power. In terms of economy UK is doing much better at 2.7% growth rate than France's 1.6% if I am right. Germany's economic growth is almost zero or something like 0....

ReputationRep:
    The EU should move back towards its original stance as a free trade zone. That was what the British people voted for the 1970s and that is what we haven't been getting. The EU certainly shouldn't be poking its nose into anything that doesn't involve free trade. As much as I would like the EU to move in this direction, it won't so long as the French are in the driving seat, so perhaps the best solution for Britain would be to cut ourselves adrift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    EU constitution.....out of the window
    Eu summit......no budgetary argreement likely

All good news as I watch the value of the Euro sliding nicely. I can't wait till it hits $1.20/euro because rumor has it there's a big stop loss at this point......crash and burn baby burn....
    i bet seamus tending to his horses in dublins backstreets, horst eating his sausages in bavaria, and pierre sipping his wine in bordeaux are really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think UKs further involvement in EU will make it worse. UK is much better off alone, by having its own foreign policy. It is highly respectable in other countries and UK is considered as quite influential global power. In terms of economy UK is doing much better at 2.7% growth rate than France's 1.6% if I am right.
    Difference exaggurated; economic growth is always changing. But what difference does this mean? The fact that this ATM (in the very short-term) the UK's economy is growing faster than france... why does this mean we shouldn't be in the EU? Many other EU countries have higher growth... so what?

UK is reasnobly influential. It is not a global power. You can't exactly call the UK a decisive power on the global scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i bet seamus tending to his horses in dublins backstreets, horst eating his sausages in bavaria, and pierre sipping his wine in bordeaux are really looking forward to it.
    ****'em.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.