Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Although i'm a Lions fan, they're pants!

NZ are gonna destroy them in the other 2 tests just like they did in the 1st one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saree)
    Yes, Kim is a great player and seems so nice! I don't want Federer to win, it's becoming like F1, with Micheal Schumacher winning....boring!!!

Haha, Michael Schumacher has only won one race out of 9 this season and that was due to the fact that the Ferraris were the only top running team in the race! As much as I love Ferrari a race of 20 cars became a race of 6 cars and him winning that is not a true reflection of his form when the other 4 cars are Jordans and Minardis.

If only Federer could have an 'off-form' season like the Ferraris are having. I want Roddick to win Wimbledon! He really needs to win a Grand Slam! It's been a while since he got that last Grand Slam!

ReputationRep:
    If the full 50 overs had still been batted, i doubt England would have won, but the Aussies recovered well from about 30 overs +, Symonds is a legend!

ReputationRep:
    Hey so when you bought tickets, does it allow you to watch ALL matches on court that day and also you see people queing days in advance so how do you by them before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    i was watching some of the match on tv and all i saw was the ball boy looking at sharapova's ass while she was serving, what a legend!
    Haha.

ReputationRep:
    You get tickets beforehand through the LTA who distribute them to tennis clubs around the country. The tennis clubs then hold ballots for pairs of tickets, and if you get picked out you win the change to buy that ticket. You then see all matches on that court, and any matches on any other court around the grounds (except for the other paying courts - No. 1 and 2). You can also get tickets through a public ballot which you have to apply for. It's not very likely to get them but worth a shot.

I got tickets for Centre Court on Monday - brilliant! Saw Hewitt v Dent, Clijsters v Davenport and then Federer v Ferrero. I get tickets every year, usually for No 1 though. So it was good to go on Centre on Monday

If you have tickets, you want to go as early as possible. You might as well make the most of having a ticket. You can spend all morning walking around the grounds and watching matches on the outside courts. You can see some of the main players warming up on the practice courts and have a look round the shop/museum. Court starts on the outside ones at 12 so you can watch the matches there for an hour until play starts at 1 on Centre/No 1.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin and a couple of mates are going today. I can't go. I have an exam tomorrow :'(

ReputationRep:
    Kool, so do you have to be a member of a club or something? When you say you got centre Court tickets, did you ask for them, or does it just depend on luck? Also for outside courts, wont people already have tickets for them?

I may try to get some for next yr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Kool, so do you have to be a member of a club or something? When you say you got centre Court tickets, did you ask for them, or does it just depend on luck? Also for outside courts, wont people already have tickets for them?

I may try to get some for next yr.
    Yeah you have to be a member of the tennis club. My club has a pair of tickets for every day for Centre or No 1. It happened to just be luck that I got Centre Court on that Monday. You then buy them from the tennis club who pays the LTA.

You don't have tickets for outside courts - only Court No 2. The others you just walk around and watch whichever one you want. If you just turn up on the day you can buy a Ground Pass which basically lets you in for the day to watch any match on a non-ticket court (so not Centre, No 1 or No 2) but you get some good matches on the others. You can also sit on Henman Hill and watch the matches on Centre/No 1.

ReputationRep:
    Iv just done some research and realised you dont actually have to play for the club to be a member http://advantage.lta.org.uk/adv_01join.htm and its pretty cheap for the year.

Plus the majority are through the public balot as bestdeceptions said on here http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about...ckets2006.html.

So if you do both of the above, you have a great chance of getting them.

ReputationRep:
    Hewitt vs Lopez will be an awesome match. Lopez is on fire, I just hope he doesn't get overwelmed by the occasion. He got knocked out last year only by the champion himself, Roger Federer?

Federer's won it again imo. I cant see anyone left who could possibly trouble him-- Roddick can't mentally beat him (and Federer can read his serve like a book), Hewitt has got slaughtered by him on more than one occasion (last year in US Open Final got beated 6-0 in the first set?) He's got that extra gear above them all and the edge to win it. Last guy to win three Wimbledon's in a row was Sampras I think. Actually I think he won four... Federer hasn't reached the heights of Sampras yet, but its coming soon. This year's Wimbledon has been a bit predictable.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth entering the ballot although I havnt ever won tickets through it. For the past four years I have camped out in order to get tickets. The first time we didnt join the queue till around 11pm and therefore didnt managed to get centre, No1 or 2 court tickets. The last 3 years ive got tickets for centre or no1 which ever had the best matches on. That involved joining the queue early afternoon. It's not too bad camping out and I enjoy the banter with the aussies although you cant expect to get a lot of sleep. I didnt go this year because of exams but reccommend it to anyone who wants to get tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    ...and I have tickets already for Court1. I've checked the official website for details and info, but am still not sure what time to go. I don't need to queue for tickets, but I'm thinking I still should go early-what does everyone think? Anyone else been with pre booked tickets? Thanks!
    congratulations

ReputationRep:
    Tom shanklin is injured, which is why he's not playing.
    Looks like it should be an interested game atleast - yay for moody!

ReputationRep:
    Clfford u r probably right but still its just exciting to watch the lions play and theres such pride in watching the whole nation esp considering it is rightly dominated by the english even though to my amazement there are the same number of welshmen as english men though this is truly only down to inuries and bans (grewcock!) As to wat some of you were saying earlier how can you not have julian white in your ideal team? he is without a dought the best scrummager in the wolrd and he destroyed jenkins in the six nations and sheridan whilst playin against sale.

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody see Ealham's performance in the Durham vs Notts game yesterday? He hit 34 runs off one over :eek: Good to see Yorkshire getting a couple of wins too.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I'm going this afternoon! No idea what or who I'll see, but we'll give it a bash.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who never have been to Wimbledon...here´s a lil piece of advice from a local!

1) Apply to club and public ballots at first possible opportunity - i received mens semis tickets the very first time i applied through the public ballot!

2) If you turn up on the day for the rest of this week, best bet is to get there around 11am (now theres no uk or oz interest in the mens draw!) however, because theres only juniors and doubles on outside courts for the majority of the second week, first thing to do is queue up for ticket resale as soon as u get inside (located at the top of the bit of grass formerly known as henman hill!!!) Here, for only a fiver you can and more than likely probably will receive tickets for centre or number 1 court
    ***************definitely worth the wait!!!**************

3) now time for the real tip of the day - this will interest every single one of you who live close enough to me and the tennis.................ì have been lucky enough to get tickets for the mens finals for the past 4 years, at a total cost of 20...yes twenty pounds!!! by arriving at around 8am with a crate of beer for 2, chatting to the aussies and the americans - scud and a-rod in past 2 finals makes for lots of interestin and entertaining supporters!!

as soon as the gates to the grounds open at 11am, shuffle your way to the right of the main scoreboard, next to the entrance to the wimbledon shop....from here they will start to walk you up towards the hill....as soon as they come to the main steps at bottom of hill...you have 100 - 150 metres to run like you never have run before....im hardly the fittest of guys, but i do believe with a bit of side-stepping and good fortune, getting the number 7slot in the mens final ticket queue ranks up there with any previous athletic achievements (hard to recall any apart from a silver medal under 13 shot'put!!!).

From here, pitch camp for the next x amount of hours.....your close enough to see the big screen so its not a problem...just make sure you get someone to watch your stuff when you intend to make the required hourly triangle ... (bar, catering section and toilet!)

The shortest queuing time here was for the final of last year....and that was when i was number 14 or was it 15!?!?!? I queued for just under 3 hours up there, which meant i missed about 20minutes of the final due to rain delays etc and was there to cheer federer on AGAIN!!

if anyone does go, look out for the small ginger guy who will be wearing a bright green wimbledon cap .... no its not me....its just a guy who goes year in year out and hasnt missed a final for 10 years or something...every time...using the tried and tested ticket resale queue......the best way to see quality tennis!

other tips include ' forget taking cars...very expensive to park close........unless u want to park close to the station and get a taxi up .... (always 2quid per person for station 2 tennis), as i know the best free parking spot! its round the back of the methodist church and behind barclays bank...only about 10 spots there, but never once have i not been able to use my parking space ---- its where i park every time i go out in wimbledon, which is like twice a week!!!!!!!

remember to stock up on the freebies getting handed outside when you queue......never buy those cushions they try and sell inside....you´ll more than likely find one left around in the early evening on centre court...help yourself....same with programmes.......the order of play is listed EVERYWHERE, programmes are great to read ONLY during rain breaks and when watching the over 55s mixed doubles qualifiers!

**** best food stand is the noodles place by the entrance next to the main shop
    **** pay by cash only on the door
    **** cigarettes are impossible to get inside the ground - make sure you stock up in town before you get to the tennis
    **** cashpoints are few and far between....only the ones by the entrance work.......and they get VERY BUSY....so try and get all cash out before you want to rush to the bar to get a second helping of pimms!
    **** bring alcohol with you, a bottle of wine and a few beers between 2 is usually enough to get by an afternoon....if theres 4 of you, you can get away with 3 bottles of wine and about 20 beers, a fair amount for a rainy day sitting under the only bit of shelter on the hill available!!

any other bits of advice needed?????

i go 5 or 6 times a year - i live about 10minutes away and i know quite a few of the juniors from years gone by so always get my hands on players passes, which saves you a 2 or 3 hour queue outside and means free soft drink and internet and comfy places to sit and relax while it pisses it down with rain!

just ask

im here to help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Iv just done some research and realised you dont actually have to play for the club to be a member http://advantage.lta.org.uk/adv_01join.htm and its pretty cheap for the year.

Plus the majority are through the public balot as bestdeceptions said on here http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about...ckets2006.html.

So if you do both of the above, you have a great chance of getting them.
    I know you can join the LTA without being a member of a club, but I thought tickets were distributed by the LTA to tennis clubs? I could be wrong, but my mum runs the ticket process at my tennis club so I have a fair idea about how it works.

Very good post by db4ffc. One more tip to add...

It's very very rare to find anywhere to park (and a COMPLETE rip off if you park where they say) so definitely go by train. There is a special taxi service that runs from the station to the tennis for about £1 each (you share with other people to fill the taxi). However, when I went on Monday there was the biggest queue which would have taken about half an hour. It's much better just to walk! I'm no big walker myself but seriously, it is not that far at all. As long as you don't mind going up the big hill. But seriously it's not far at all to walk. The taxis are always stuck in one big traffic queue anyway so walking is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikernes)
    I can honestly say that the native and islander people of New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, the players and the fans never even crossed my mind when I posted the jokes. If the pun isn't obvious you clearly aren't worthy of such comedic genius. And by that I'm referring to the underlying nature of my post, not the actual material.
    you are a loser mate, plain and simple.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.