Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would still have picked shaw over Donncha...he was an absolute animal in the last test! although i can say that he will perform well...
    Is anyone else concerned that there isn't a second row on the bench?
    Chances of the kick off going high and straight down Tana's throat? i would say amazingly high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swifty)
    Who do you think will win between Davenport and Mauresmo? Davenport is winning at the moment but in my opinion watching Davenport is sooo boring. Mauresmo is not really playing her best either
    Hmm..I could be wrong but I have a feeling Davenport's going to pull through!

ReputationRep:
    Davenport is really boring and bland though, I find myself nodding off when I watch her perform!

Those looky-likes were really funny! The Andy Roddick/SWS is so true. I feel sorry for Maria, but go Venus! I really want her to go the whole way now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daban)
    i hope she does, after this season i think the william's' reign on womens tennis may be stopped in its tracks, even thier father doesnt believe they have that love for tennis anymore, which is vital for winning.
    I think you are right in that love for the game is essential - but I think Venus' desire to win and love for the game showed up pretty well today! :p: Message came out loud and clear: don't write off the sisters just yet! All credit to Venus, her play was stunning today. Hope she wins this year, she really deserves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Davenport is really boring and bland though, I find myself nodding off when I watch her perform!
    Those looky-likes were really funny! The Andy Roddick/SWS is so true. I feel sorry for Maria, but go Venus! I really want her to go the whole way now.
    I do agree with the Davenport point - she strikes the ball great, and nearly always finds the lines, but I think Mauresmo is a nicer player to watch. *joins in the 'go Venus' feeling*

ReputationRep:
    Can someone answer my question? How come you don't see top single players playing doubles anymore? Like the William sisters do not play doubles anymore. Also how does Todd Woodbridge (double tennis players)be ranked compared to someone who only plays singles?
    One of the past players (forgot who he was) said that he played doubles at wimbledon once but then concentrated on singles, because if you win in singles, that's what you're known for, and it shows you are a good player.
    There are separate rankings for doubles and singles, so a good doubles player but only an average singles player would have a high doubles ranking and low singles one. Many players who play singles, don't often play doubles and therefore, their doubles ranking is low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    I do agree with the Davenport point - she strikes the ball great, and nearly always finds the lines, but I think Mauresmo is a nicer player to watch. *joins in the 'go Venus' feeling*
    I reckon that Venus might be favourite in the final, just going by how she is playing. I really hope Venus wins; she played fab!

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd post a pic of the most evil horse in the world!! :p: This is the one with the hitlist I rode last week, the little bugger!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The pressures of the mens tour matches as Andy Murray has showed are intense and the players are a lot fitter and faster and the physical exertion on the body of the players is huge, hence the players concentrate on singles as that is where the exposure and money is. Very few are good at both (although this is less true for the womens for example Hingis, Cjilsters both Wimbledon doubles champs) but there are exceptions Nadal is keen on playing doubles with Lopez and Max Mryni is also good.

ReputationRep:
    20:20 suks !

Should never exist !

A few bad balls resultin in sixes cost a match !

Its simply a bad idea of sports promotion!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite glad Venus won It's probably gonna be an all american final now. woop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    some good lookalikes!

LOL at mauresmo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/wimble...okalike1.shtml
    :toofunny: @ Tiger Tim!

ReputationRep:
    There was some serious grunting in the Venus-Maria match, Was really entertaining!

ReputationRep:
    [see: http://www.ecb.co.uk/england/natwest...s,4866,EN.html ]

Seems like a pretty exciting idea, although (if I've interepreted it correctly) I'm not sure the substitute idea will work. If the 11 starting players have to be declared before the coin toss, then how can the captains decide who to start with or who to have as a sub? e.g. let's say England win the toss, and have already preselected 5 bowlers. They can then bowl first, and know that when they come to bat they can replace one of their bowlers with a substitute batsmen, to strengthen their batting.
    However, if they were forced to bat first, the substitute becomes practically useless? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    [see: http://www.ecb.co.uk/england/natwest...s,4866,EN.html ]

Seems like a pretty exciting idea, although (if I've interepreted it correctly) I'm not sure the substitute idea will work. If the 11 starting players have to be declared before the coin toss, then how can the captains decide who to start with or who to have as a sub? e.g. let's say England win the toss, and have already preselected 5 bowlers. They can then bowl first, and know that when they come to bat they can replace one of their bowlers with a substitute batsmen, to strengthen their batting.
    However, if they were forced to bat first, the substitute becomes practically useless? :confused:
    They could always pick an allrounder as 12th man. I think the rule does need amendment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daban)
    i wonder what will now become of sharapova, will she still be able to cope with the pressure of her sponsers? or do you think after today's performance she may well be the next anna kournikova.
    I believe that Maria will be number 1 before the start of the US open. I dont see how the match will affect her adversly. She didnt play her best tennis and Venus played the best tennis she has in ages. She was positive in the interview after and she has already surpassed what Anna did. I dont think the commercial side of her does her game any good but I dont think it does it any bad either. She hasnt had a bad year, losing in the semis at the austrailian open in a match she should have won and then in the semis at the French to Henin who was untouchable in that match.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone answer my question? How come you don't see top single players playing doubles anymore? Like the William sisters do not play doubles anymore. Also how does Todd Woodbridge (double tennis players)be ranked compared to someone who only plays singles?
    The intensity of the game is such that it is very hard to play in both. It means effectively playing every day for two weeks and finding time to do a couple of hours practice a day. I dont know why the Williams sisters dont play doubles any more but Venus played in the mixed this year. As for Woodbridge he reached 19 in the world at his peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    :toofunny: @ Tiger Tim!
    lol - ive always thought federer looked like tarantino

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks for your replies! I had no idea they would be playing everyday if the players were in both.

ReputationRep:
    ok what is your own personal greatest achievement in sport?
    :champ:

Mine would be my team coming second out of England in Korfball when i was in High School...not that great but its a start!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.