Turn on thread page Beta

Gerrard, but not by much.

The way that Chelsea play him means that he can score so many goals, as he can push up into the box knowing that he has Makelele/Tiago to watch his back.
    Gerrard doesn't quite have this liberty, as Alonso is a player with similar attacking priorities.

They both have the ability to drive, they can both shoot. In fact, they epitomise what the classic British CM is. However, I do feel that Gerrard is stronger in the tackle, and as someone has already said - he has this Herculean ability to pick up his team mates, and literally drag them over the line. Lampard, on the other hand, can score some pretty useful goals, but can also make some truly disgusting challenges.

I don't think we can argue as to who is the 'better' midfielder, as it is far too subjective. The really matter is: can they both play together in the same team (referring to England, before someone suggests otherwise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)

I don't think we can argue as to who is the 'better' midfielder, as it is far too subjective. The really matter is: can they both play together in the same team (referring to England, before someone suggests otherwise).
    On that note, why do Chelsea really want him?
    Makelele is doing a great job as the holding midfielder, and they have fantastic "flair" players (Duff, Cole and Robben) and Lampard is practically undroppable.

They want him, because Uncle Roman has a thing about buying the best players, no matter how they fit into the team. Hence Ronaldinho, Adriano, Cole, Gerrard etc.

If it were up to him, the team would look like:
    Cech
    Terry
    Joaquin Gerrard Kaka Lampard Ronaldinho
    Shevchenko Henry Torres Adriano

The clever part of this is that the clubs quickly draw up a new contract for the player in question, introducing a buy-out clause that only Chelsea would be able to pay!

ReputationRep:
    They want him, because Uncle Roman has a thing about buying the best players, no matter how they fit into the team. Hence Ronaldinho, Adriano, Cole, Gerrard etc.

If it were up to him, the team would look like:
    Cech
    Terry
    Joaquin Gerrard Kaka Lampard Ronaldinho
    Shevchenko Henry Torres Adriano

The clever part of this is that the clubs quickly draw up a new contract for the player in question, introducing a buy-out clause that only Chelsea would be able to pay!
    Lol!

The good thing about Mourinho is that he doesn't buy the "highest rated" players (which is what Real Madrid do); so now he has a growing side with talent such as Robben, Makelele, but then again you also end up with players like...Drogba (major error).

ReputationRep:
    Well, everyone know's who I'm going to go for

(Original post by endeavour)
    Lol!

The good thing about Mourinho is that he doesn't buy the "highest rated" players (which is what Real Madrid do); so now he has a growing side with talent such as Robben, Makelele, but then again you also end up with players like...Drogba (major error).
    It's the one thing about him that I have admiration: he can be very perceptive when buying players. To be fair, Ranieri has already done a good job buying in quality. But the signings of Robben and Cech have been inspirational. That's not to say he hasn't had his flops (a la Kezman). The jury's still out on whether Drogba's a waste of space (money, maybe). But I do remember him playing for his last club, and he tore the opposition's defense apart. Evidently, Mourinho hasn't yet tempted the best of Drogba. Grudgingly, I think he's a very good player, but other people disagree.

Both then on the otherhand, Mourinho is a self-indulgent, arrogant ****. The way he treats other players, and especially other managers, is appalling. I can see where Cruyff is coming from in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Well, everyone know's who I'm going to go for
    our jamie isn't one of the two options sam...

ReputationRep:
    It's the one thing about him that I have admiration: he can be very perceptive when buying players. To be fair, Ranieri has already done a good job buying in quality. But the signings of Robben and Cech have been inspirational. That's not to say he hasn't had his flops (a la Kezman). The jury's still out on whether Drogba's a waste of space (money, maybe). But I do remember him playing for his last club, and he tore the opposition's defense apart. Evidently, Mourinho hasn't yet tempted the best of Drogba. Grudgingly, I think he's a very good player, but other people disagree.

Both then on the otherhand, Mourinho is a self-indulgent, arrogant ****. The way he treats other players, and especially other managers, is appalling. I can see where Cruyff is coming from in that respect.
    hes bought some good players i agree, and some of the good others (at the time before purchase) havent really stood out for the right reasons (e.g. kezman) even though at their old club they tore apart opposing defenses

who thinks jarosk could become a good signing if he were a bit more accurate with shooting - anyone remember his game against man u in the league cup, that was a powerful strike!

also i think geremi will be the first player to go because he hasnt been used that much this season and no wonder why after his near own goal

ReputationRep:
    as players I think that Gerrard and Lampard are probably equal when it comes to skill but there just seems to be something about Gerrard that sets him apart from alot of other players. Who knos this time next year the two of them may even be on the same team (and I dont mean internationally :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I doubt Liverpool can afford Lampard.
    I doubt they could afford Tim Cahill, never mind frigging Frank Lampard :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Liverpool can afford Lampard.
    lol :p: maybe if the shareholders all chip in and go without luxuaries?

ReputationRep:
    Cahill is as good as Lampard, imo.
    I agree. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    I agree. :cool:
    Cahill is one of my players of the season, even if he plays for Everton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musafir_85)
    Who's better? who is more suitable as England Captain?
    and why?
    I hate to say, being a Liverpool fan, i think Lampard has the edge. I think he keeps his head a bit better. Gerrard's commitment is amazing, and he can be inspirational, but sometimes his heart rules his head...Lampard stays cool, and is very consistent..mind you its maybe not a fair comparison, because Lampard's in a more successful team...I wonder if he could carry Liverpool the way Gerrard often has in the past few seasons

ReputationRep:
    as a nuetral i still cant figure it out, i.e i havent voted yet.
    but
    gerrard is better in leading and carrying team compared to lampard, but lampard hasnt been giving chance to lead his team, so we hardly know lampards captaincy.
    also lampard has been scoring loads of goals this season. both are aggresive in offensive play and are equaly good in that field.

whose better in set pieces, free kicks and in deffending.

ReputationRep:
    Lampard is technically better and maybe a better finisher but Gerrard is a better tackler, long range shooter, leader, and does everything he does in a worse team. Viera is better than them both when he is at his best though

(Original post by metta)
    Lampard is technically better and maybe a better finisher but Gerrard is a better tackler, long range shooter, leader, and does everything he does in a worse team. Viera is better than them both when he is at his best though
    Correction: Viera was better than them both when he was at his best. It's time for the knackers yard for him, methinks!

ReputationRep:
    its gotta be lamps, scores so many important goals, his only weakness is in the air, but i dont think gerrards all that in the air either. lamps has 29 assists this season, and has hardly missed a game in the past 3 seasons, he just doesnt get injured! as for the time cahill comments........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieholmear)
    its gotta be lamps, scores so many important goals, his only weakness is in the air, but i dont think gerrards all that in the air either. lamps has 29 assists this season, and has hardly missed a game in the past 3 seasons, he just doesnt get injured! as for the time cahill comments........
    he has the most assists in the premiership this season as well i think

(Original post by fernando)
    he has the most assists in the premiership this season as well i think
    He has the most assists in the club so far this season, not in the prem. But he has far more than most!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.