Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it can be a little annoying, although its just the way their body reacts when putting in effort, Sharapova said she didnt even realise she was doing it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Yeh it can be a little annoying, although its just the way their body reacts when putting in effort, Sharapova said she didnt even realise she was doing it!
    That is a load of bulls**t from Sharapova. She knows full well that she's doing it. They're trained to do it to put off and intimidate their opponent. How come women of the past such as Navratilova hardly ever grunted. And before you say they didn't hit the ball as hard, look and Roddick who doesn't grunt at all when he's serving at 140+ mph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Nope, although a IV from my college went. Decided it was too far and too expensive to go just for the day.
    U should have gone its always worth a day at Henley

Just keep away from the enclosures if you want to save money, or even better just go to the free wine, free gin, free fruit juice stalls on rotation all afternoon if you want to be really cheap.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    dammit, he got me off today :mad: So annoyed because he just shot sideways and I stayed put, so pathetic
    It's so annoying whent hat happens, you think 'I'm soooo rubbish' but it really does happen to everyone. Matt had a nice freak out in the workers on Saturday, made worse by the fact he's only been ridden properly four times in the last months and it was my leaver's ball the night before! He'd calmed down by the showjumping and we got 2nd in both novice and intermediate - we jumped clear round the intermediate but he didn't want to turn right and i was forced to either turn left and circle or be reared with...we went left...

ReputationRep:
    This thread is just so stupid. Anyone who knows anything about tennis knows that Henman would thrash Wiilliams 6-0 6-0 every single time. Anybody who thinks the result is even slightly debateable is living in a dream world. Men ar so much stronger, fitter and athletic. Unlike the women's game mens tennis is ulre competitive and anyone within the top 400 would be able to give a top 20 player a good game. This unlike the women's game where a top ten player would routinely thrash anyone outside the top 60.

The simple truth is the number 1 women's player wouldn't get into the top 500 in the mens world rankings. They would generally not be able to handle the powerful men's serve and the men would blow them off the court returning their comparatively ptitful serves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    It's so annoying whent hat happens, you think 'I'm soooo rubbish' but it really does happen to everyone. Matt had a nice freak out in the workers on Saturday, made worse by the fact he's only been ridden properly four times in the last months and it was my leaver's ball the night before! He'd calmed down by the showjumping and we got 2nd in both novice and intermediate - we jumped clear round the intermediate but he didn't want to turn right and i was forced to either turn left and circle or be reared with...we went left...
    I know, the little buggers thrown me off hundreds of times!! I was just hoping it'd be a bit more impressive!! Essentially slipping off sideways is just plain embarrassing!!

Well done on the jumping. Are you going to the Ashby show the weekend after next? I imagine thats quite local for you!!

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys seriously, did you think anyone was going to beat Federer this year? Noone is on par with him on the grass court, maybe an in-form Henman would give him a few probs (because of the net play, like he has done so many times in the past) but the tennis players around right now just dont have the variation that Fed has. They sit at the back court and get picked off, its too easy for him. Kiefer gave him the most problems and took the only set off him during Wimbledon (could have took a second), and guess what? He played from the back and came to the net quite often, played plenty of slices, varied his shots etc Roddick just hit a clean balls and went for brute power, he didn't have a chance in my opinion! How we lack a Becker or Sampras, we could see what Fed is really made of! Those guys knew how to mix things up. Fed is not in the same bracket as Sampras yet, Sampras's awesome serve gives him an advantage over anyone I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindance)
    Hard Courts are the only chance anyone else has got, even if it's inevitable that Federer will try to step up several notches on hard surfaces too.
    And on clay when his serve and his reverse shots have way less of an effect!
    On grass tho he will be completly unbeatable foreva. =\

ReputationRep:
    When's the US Open?

ReputationRep:
    hmm not sure, US Open is pretty good to watch. The hardcourt game is more about power and baseline rallies, Safin's in with a very good shout, maybe Nadal.
    I hope Agassi wins!! He's pushed Fed a few times on hardcourt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dipsomaniac)
    Venus hasn't been tested against men before... Not on a competitive level. Tim has consistrently been in the top 10 in the world and played all of the best players in the world today. You just need to look at the average first serve speed to see that the argument that Venus is more powerful than Tim is rubbish (although he doesn't have a big serve in the mens game is still bigger than Venus' serve). Tim, at the moment, would win, and win handsomely!

Agree, agree. I thought this poll was a joke until I read some of the posts. I doubt there's a woman who could beat any of the top say 15 (i'm being very generous) men in the world. No chance. You think Venus and Serena are fast around the court? Well pick any of the top 20 Men and they'd be faster. Men cover the court much better, they are faster, have more power and overall the quality of the Men's game IS superior. Venus wouldn't have a chance against Henman! Howmany servce-volliers has she played again? ARE there any women serve-volliers? Henman would be there constantly facing second serves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    When's the US Open?
    Monday August 29 to Sunday Sept 11. Hooray I'll be in the right time zone to watch the matches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenyth!)
    Monday August 29 to Sunday Sept 11. Hooray I'll be in the right time zone to watch the matches.
    I really want to see some coverage of that - prob a silly question but does anyone know, do you need Sky/Freeview to see US Open coverage or is it shown on the regular channels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieD)
    Me too! Neighbours is no substitute!
    Go on the bbc sport pages and u can watch highlights of the matches, lol!
    Ooh! *gets excited* thanks for that! The system says I've given out too much rep in the last 24hrs but I'll rep you for that as soon as I can.

ReputationRep:
    errr....
    I don't actually do the figure skating, I just enjoy the big spins....

ANd as for me and my spinning... Well I can't quite get that last 90 on my skates I land sideways and I have stumble a little to roll away
    Nothing a little practise won't sort out!!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG i cant believe people are even suggesting Williams would beat Henman, any top 30 mens player would thrash her, as they would be much stronger, have a bigger serve and bigger ground strokes, even Rusedski would beat her!

ReputationRep:
    ...so much for being commited to the club and they were offering him £100,000 per week! It seems hes not going to sign another contract and wants to leave with Chelsea's first bid failed, so where do we reckon he'll go?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/4651003.stm

ReputationRep:
    Poor guy - how was he going to survive on a mere £100,000 a week?

Real Madrid has to be, they are the only club offering the amount he wants and theres no other club who can match that. Offering the biggest deal in the clubs history shows just how much he is wanted at Liverpool and to turn that down is an insult IMO...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    Ooh! *gets excited* thanks for that! The system says I've given out too much rep in the last 24hrs but I'll rep you for that as soon as I can.
    ooh thanks!. I watched highlights of the final again. You can also watch player interviews too.

Also go on www.wimbledon.org, and im sure you can watch stuff on that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Poor guy - how was he going to survive on a mere £100,000 a week?

Real Madrid has to be, they are the only club offering the amount he wants and theres no other club who can match that. Offering the biggest deal in the clubs history shows just how much he is wanted at Liverpool and to turn that down is an insult IMO...
    Plus if your already on £100k how much more do you need, and i doubt very much he'll get alot more Madrid, but he'll be moving for footballing reasons as they are a better club.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 28, 2006
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.